What’s the story with Elias Pettersson?

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
1 even strength goal in the last 40 games.

7M is generous right now.

He signed his contract in March. At that point he had 2 30+ goal seasons, 1 100+ point season and was having a pretty good season to that point.

$7m in RFA, coming off that output, does not get you that player. You know this.

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
Are the Canucks trying to ruin his career? If he's dealing with a nagging knee just sit him for as long as it takes for him to be 100%. Who the fornicating sign a player to a 8 year contract then only wants him at 80% of his capacity for several of those years?
He just had an entire offseason

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Playing with someone as good as JT Miller is demoralizing, you go the same practices, same PT sessions, same restaurants eating the same food and the guy is 10x the player you are, it's just not fair, why even try?

Else Ermine

Jun 1, 2024
Is it just me, or... are posters on here being a bit over-critical of Pettersson?
Criticism is certainly warranted. He's played like a third liner and a shadow of what he's capable of. It is frustrating to watch.
Every team always has it's scapegoats and Pettersson's $11.6m contract will have him being the number 1 target until his play improves significantly. That'd be the case anywhere. I do believe Canucks fans are amongst the most prone kick up a fuss about their problems though. The truth is very few Canucks have looked good to start and have been comparatively underwhelming.

However, certainly the production fall-off from mid-February is quite dramatic.
Pretty much from the All Star break his play fell off a cliff and stayed at the same level to the end of the year. Historically he's far more physical involved than the memey posters would have you believe because of his size but that has genuinely fallen off, along with his eagerness to shoot or skate aggressively. Three games into this season it doesn't look better.
Obviously it should improve with time, he's far better than this, but who knows how long it'll take.

Reactions: notsocommonsense

crowfish

Jun 3, 2011
maybe Tochett rubs him the wrong way and they're not seeing eye-to-eye and its affecting his play

I wonder about that too. Pettersson had amazing chemistry with Kuzmenko and was off to the best start of his career in 2023-24. His stats started slowing down right around the time Tochett started benching & scratching Kuzmenko, and then after the trade Pettersson had an awful finish to the year.

Playing with someone as good as JT Miller is demoralizing, you go the same practices, same PT sessions, same restaurants eating the same food and the guy is 10x the player you are, it's just not fair, why even try?

Weird comment since JT Miller didn't reach Petterssons level untill about age 28.

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
The first few games of every season weird things happen so it’s not much use to draw conclusions. The cream rises to the top as the season goes on. If he’s still struggling at 20 games, and with the ending to last season, then it could be time to raise some eyebrows

Look Up

Rev up your .....batteries?
Oct 3, 2013
Only half joking - I'm shocked this thread hasn't been locked down yet. This is one of those subjects that cannot be discussed. Reasons.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
I see the same problems as zibanejad. No mental willingness and joy to contact and battles. It’s like walking on grass for me. I dont want to step in someone’s dog’s turd so i always look and take one step at a time. It’s no way to play.

The getting rid of the puck, limited effectiveness etc. toch came along and demanded battle and grit and that’s when it went downhill.

Zibanwjad had a scary head injury too. He also got his contract around the .

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
1) Physically he is not built for heavy playoff style hockey. He’s afraid to engage in physical play.

2) He displays very very poor body language. He’s sulking when things don’t go his way. Gives up on plays.

3) He has very poor balance and a weak core. He’s often found face down ass up on the ice.

4) He has v low intensity. He never drives play. He rarely takes over a game even though he has the skill too.

Very high skillled weak and weak minded player who Vancouver made their highest paid player.

Nightmare situation for Canucks fans including me.
Is he that afraid? I seen him take big runs at Oiler players in the series, but it is an weird charge and jump and hit with your back move he does. Mayne he hurt something

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
It’s a case of overpaiditus. Funny how his play and body language soured from when he signed. This happens to a lot of stars. He might regain form but it might take time. Hopefully he isn’t sniffing coke for the next several years like Price then finally enters the PAP 4 yrs from now.
I think one thing that can irk fans is when he had that one interview where he said he wants to see what Vancouver can do for him and he wants to play on a very good team.

Vancouver has a crazy year last year and he starts sucking after half of it lol. He didn't hold his end of the bargain.

i think he was forced into signing the deal when he was not 100% sure he wanted to stay long term witht hat trade threat to Carolina

Diogenes92

Dec 13, 2014
North Vancouver
Are the Canucks trying to ruin his career? If he's dealing with a nagging knee just sit him for as long as it takes for him to be 100%. Who the fornicating sign a player to a 8 year contract then only wants him at 80% of his capacity for several of those years?
Tochett was quoted as stating that his medical staff didn't seem to think the knee issue was as serious as Pettersson was making it out to be. I think it was during season-ending interviews.

Lawzy

May 27, 2011
BC
I wonder about that too. Pettersson had amazing chemistry with Kuzmenko and was off to the best start of his career in 2023-24. His stats started slowing down right around the time Tochett started benching & scratching Kuzmenko, and then after the trade Pettersson had an awful finish to the year.

Between the 1st time Kuzmenko was scratched until he was traded, Pettersson scored 19G-17A-36P in 29GP including 1st Star of the Week in January and 3rd Star of the Month.

After he was traded Pettersson's play did take a sharp dive but this is also reportedly when he injured his knee so I don't buy the logic we can blame the Kuzmenko trade.

I also don't buy the logic that the knee injury is the cause (especially if you watch the kid) but it certainly didn't help.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad