Confirmed with Link: Wennberg (50% retained) to NYR For a 2nd ('24) and 4th ('25)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Are you happy with the trade

• Very happy with the trade!

Votes: 35 13.5%
  • It's decent, i'm good with it

Votes: 161 61.9%
  • Meh, not the biggest fan

Votes: 52 20.0%
  • Very unhappy with the trade!

Votes: 12 4.6%

• Total voters

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
He’s a lighter and faster version of Kakko.

Responsible, talented, pass 1st players that are reluctant to shoot the puck. And when they do it will 99-out of 100 not be going in the net.

Having 2 guys like that on 1 line is a sure way to kill and offensive output expectations

He absolutely should be the 4C now that chytil is back. It shifts goodrow back to wing, where he’s played better his entire career, adds speed to a very average to slow 4th line, don’t lose anything defensively. Goodrow-Wennberg-vesey should be able to acclimate together fairly quickly. All are vet players.

Last edited:
Reactions: Graves97

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
If Edstrom was more of a hitter I'd consider making the Edstrom-Goody_Rempe 4th line again to tenderize FL Dmen like they plan to tenderize our Dmen.

Our forwards and even Shesty are going to have to try to help our Dmen from paying the price so often at our goal lines.

Reactions: TopShelfSnipes

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
If Edstrom was more of a hitter I'd consider making the Edstrom-Goody_Rempe 4th line again to tenderize FL Dmen like they plan to tenderize our Dmen.

Our forwards and even Shesty are going to have to try to help our Dmen from paying the price so often at our goal lines.

Edstrom is actually a pretty physical player. But he's more like Boyle than Rempe. He uses his size to battle and win pucks but he won't shy up on making a hit when it presents itself.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I don't wanna destroy the guy or "add on" to what has alrerady been correctly stated. I will say, that when we got him and "needed" a player of that nature it was fine. He provided stability on the 3rd line and if I remember correctly it coincided with our winning AFTER the TDL. It was a back up plan, should Chytil not return. Well, he has.
Thing is, now........we really need him to be more than what we've gotten thus far. For example, be competant and at least put the puck into a wide open net. He's missed MULTIPLE empty nets since being acquired, and at really bad times. Missing them during the season is one thing, this is the PO's where those missed opps. changes the outcomes of the games, one way or the other.
He cannot mbe happy with his play, and if he is.......I want him off the team as well. Right now, he doesn't DESERVE a Ring shoul;dl the team win it all. Shut us all up and prove us all wrong..........Wennberg.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I really like a lot of what Wennberg brings.

I feel I value the type of player he is more so than most fans.

However he is a pretty skilled guy if you really watch his skating and puckwork. He was drafted 14th overall and had a ~60 point season, but he was never a real goal scorer.

That being said, hes got to give the Rangers SOMETHING offensively and score 1 or 2 this playoffs. Even a primary assist on a nice play. Something. They absolutely have to have some more production from him and the bottom 6 if they want to win this series and/or a Cup. Its a killer when a guy being relied on that much cant get you at least one big, even occasional goal.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
What does Wennberg ask for on his next deal? He's a ~25-30 point center who is good defensively and along the walls. His productivity is directly correlated to playing big minutes as well.

If you look at Wennberg as compared to someone like Blueger, Blueger actually scores at a pretty similar rate over the last 3-4 years. I wouldn't expect Blueger to get more than $2.5m per season, maybe on a 3 year deal. If that is what Wennberg is looking for, with all of his faults considered, I'd still be interested in him as a depth center

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
When you acquire shitty offensive players to play on a 3rd line tnat is ALREADY shitty offensively, you get shitty production from tjat line.

I'm surprised folks are shocked at that math

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008

Edstrom takes the body he’s not Rempe seeking missle, but he’s physical. Just not a huge fighter.
Edstrom should have stayed up with team after his call up, but he didn’t require waivers and was supposed to get playoff game time in HFD

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
When you acquire shitty offensive players to play on a 3rd line tnat is ALREADY shitty offensively, you get shitty production from tjat line.

I'm surprised folks are shocked at that math
I mean for what we paid at the TDL to cover for injury, it’s fine. He’s an upgrade on brod every aspect except shooting the puck. Brod wasn’t afraid to take a shot whenever.
Wennberg hasn’t been a liability or anything like that when he’s on the ice, but as larrybiv stated above, since chytil is a full go, he’s just a clear upgrade and a better option offensively for 3C.
No one expects him to be A PPG center, they do expect him to be competent enough offensively to bury an open net chance

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Edstrom takes the body he’s not Rempe seeking missle, but he’s physical. Just not a huge fighter.
Edstrom should have stayed up with team after his call up, but he didn’t require waivers and was supposed to get playoff game time in HFD
I'm not thinking of fighting. It looks like FL plans to really physically beat up our Dmen below the goal lines with heavy hits. They know those hits take their toll over a series especially on guys like Fox and Lindy. I wish we had a line that could return the favor on FL Dmen below their goal line. In the meantime we need our forwards to casually get in their forwards way a bit to try to protect our Dmen. Also Shesty may have to handle the puck even more to try to lesson their load. I remember back in 1978-79 playoffs vs the Isles many people thought we would try to keep the puck away from Denny Potvin as much as possible but Freddie Shero had the opposite plan. We would dump it in Denny's corner every shift and take the body to wear him down.

Reactions: LokiDog

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I'm not thinking of fighting. It looks like FL plans to really physically beat up our Dmen below the goal lines with heavy hits. They know those hits take their toll over a series especially on guys like Fox and Lindy. I wish we had a line that could return the favor on FL Dmen below their goal line. In the meantime we need our forwards to casually get in their forwards way a bit to try to protect our Dmen. Also Shesty may have to handle the puck even more to try to lesson their load. I remember back in 1978-79 playoffs vs the Isles many people thought we would try to keep the puck away from Denny Potvin as much as possible but Freddie Shero had the opposite plan. We would dump it in Denny's corner every shift and take the body to wear him down.
Imo Edstrom def fits the bill for that.
But as a rookie and Goodrow and vesey being staples on the pk, it’s tough……
New season he should start the year as 4C and be put in the rotation for PK too imo

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I have to admit, I always liked Wennberg and he’s good defensively and he HAS puck skills - it just never seems to click for him - but his stint as a Ranger has been tremendously underwhelming and I really thought coming to a contender might light a fire under him and result in some of his talent actually translating to offense for once. I was wrong and I’m disappointed. He’s a very solid defensive player but it’s beyond frustrating when he has significantly more skill than a guy like Goodrow or Cullye and yet is a total black hole offensively. Guy can thread the needle and owns good hands - I guess it got coached out of him or he just forgot how to use it. Really expected him to be a pleasant surprise and look like a bargain deal for us, not what he’s delivered so far.

Reactions: CLW

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad