Confirmed with Link: Weekes: The Avs are re-signing Justus Annunen, 2 year, 833k per, 1-way deal

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Most important thing to me is that his lateral movement has appeared to improve over the summer.

Last season, even at his best, he was downright slow post to post and recovering laterally. That has been worked on and it’s showing.

Of course, his strength is his size, taking away angles, and being a sponge who gives away very few rebounds. That last part alone makes defending easier as a team, knowing most shots will be one and done, not the crazy panic style of knocking every puck back into the slot.

Very calm and cool in net. If he has indeed improved his lateral agility, this could be the beginning of a beautiful thing.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Most important thing to me is that his lateral movement has appeared to improve over the summer.

Last season, even at his best, he was downright slow post to post and recovering laterally. That has been worked on and it’s showing.

Of course, his strength is his size, taking away angles, and being a sponge who gives away very few rebounds. That last part alone makes defending easier as a team, knowing most shots will be one and done, not the crazy panic style of knocking every puck back into the slot.

Very calm and cool in net. If he has indeed improved his lateral agility, this could be the beginning of a beautiful thing.
Yup.

And his size gives him the luxury of not needing to challenge shots as much. Keeps him closer to his crease and net, and naturally, less scrambling.

He’s got the tools to be an optimal shot blocker style goalie. That’s a style the Avs can definitely use.

I’d rather a goalie who can stop straight shots but struggle with cross ice one timers rather than the opposite.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

100%. His lateral movement was horrifying to start out and was at a level that would've kept him from being a starter. But he's big enough that if he can get his lateral movement to an decent level there could be something here.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I still wonder what Bednar and the rest of the Avs brass sees in why they've been so patient/hestitant/etc. with Annunen. Even this season, they gave George a huge leash before giving Annunen a start. I have a feeling they know he has a weakness that will be easily exploited if he gets more starts and the book comes out on him.

But I do give him props for the past few games, because if he can keep up this play it's exactly what the Avs need.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
I still wonder what Bednar and the rest of the Avs brass sees in why they've been so patient/hestitant/etc. with Annunen. Even this season, they gave George a huge leash before giving Annunen a start. I have a feeling they know he has a weakness that will be easily exploited if he gets more starts and the book comes out on him.

But I do give him props for the past few games, because if he can keep up this play it's exactly what the Avs need.
Even if you ask TMV, he says that Annunen gets pretty lit up in practice.
It’s been 3 games. Let’s see how long he can stay consistent. Every game he plays gives scouts more time to scout weaknesses.

We’ll have to hope he can keep up with adjustments, and maintain some type of consistency

Reactions: AllAboutAvs

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Definitely true. But Seattle and Utah aren't exactly scrub teams either. Both have playoff expectations this year. Utah in particular have been very good this year.
Agree but I don't think my post insinuates these two teams are scrubs. I just said stronger teams. I was more talking about top teams which IMO Seattle and Utah are not just yet.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland

Tbf his movement from post to post is still damn slow. But everything besides that, he does a great job. Also glad to hear that you notice a difference in the speed, that's actually encouraging. If he can work on it more he could even become a legit starter.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Annunen still looks slow to me and I think as teams scout (and general quality increases), we will see that exploited as we move forward. That doesn't change that he's playing very well right now, and while I don't think his ceiling is all that high, getting back on the winning side of things is important. He's buying time to figure out things and that is a great thing right now.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Annunen still looks slow to me and I think as teams scout (and general quality increases), we will see that exploited as we move forward. That doesn't change that he's playing very well right now, and while I don't think his ceiling is all that high, getting back on the winning side of things is important. He's buying time to figure out things and that is a great thing right now.
He's a pretty big dude at 6'4. He doesn't have to move as much as other goalers. With our D hopefully they can continue to utilize that. Become our own mini version of prime Ben Bishop

Reactions: Murzu

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002

Yeah, small sample set against so-so teams, but promising nonetheless.

Glad it's turned out this way before we started throwing bodies between the pipes. We were about to have you go into your basement, dust off the pads, and start doing hamstring stretches.

Not sure how pretty that last one would be, but anyway you're off the hook now. :)

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta

I think he’s helped establish that he is at least backup quality which is massive. I do agree that his movements are still slow, but he’s been able to absorb a lot of pucks which I think compliments our style of defense. If he can continue to improve his efficiency we may get a 1B.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
Out of 59 goalies

Annunen is presently
tied for 7th in wins
11th in goals against average
15th in save percentage

Georgiev is presently
tied for 35th in wins
55th in goals against average
57th in save percentage

Reactions: Pokecheque

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

(enter random poster here): Hey, this thing is pretty cool.

@henchman21:

sux-sucks.gif

🤣

BrickNHL

Feb 25, 2019
Out of 59 goalies

Annunen is presently
tied for 7th in wins
11th in goals against average
15th in save percentage

Georgiev is presently
tied for 35th in wins
55th in goals against average
57th in save percentage

Wow good for him for not being 57th in GAA

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
Annunen as a starter:
3-0, 1.34 GAA, .949 save percentage

Annunen in 2 relief appearances:
0-1, 4.69 GAA, .765 save percentage

Georgiev:
1-3, 4.99 GAA, .810 save percentage

Conclusion:
Georgiev has the suck and is contagious, keep him away from Annunen and start the kid. And if Georgiev gets lit up, let him wear it.

Reactions: RoyIsALegend

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad