Pre-Game Talk: Weekend Warriors - Chi & Cal B2B

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
So far I'm seeing Nurse Doormat.

But I should shut up. People being offended with comments and all (not you)

Not the game but the battle?

I expect Oilers to make playoffs but how long will this old dog hunt?
I don’t want to live in a reality where everyone thinks and believes the same. Sounds like communism to me. :)

It’s good to be contrary and have differing perspectives.

• Love
Reactions: Drivesaitl

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015

It's not an old man's game anymore

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Sure but keep in mind we were one loss away from getting bounced in round 2. Lots of things came together perfectly for that run.

Assuming past success will dictate future success is really not the correct way of thinking.

Still early obviously
I don't get the logic either. So people were saying because we had holes in lineup and made it once to the dance we're OK having even more holes in lineup now, AND being older? It doesn't add up. Invariably this is usually how teams end up chasing their tail and meeting with harsher reality.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

People obsess over the average age, but aren't considering that the two players really pulling that average up are on the 4th line, at least one of which is likely not going to be in the lineup come playoffs. Possibly not even in the lineup come new year with Philp knocking on the door.

Henrique is 34, but likely to play the fewest minutes of his career this year playing outside the Top 6 for the first time probably ever. I don't anticipate issues there. Ekholm is 34, and maybe there's a bit of risk of fall off later in the year, but he's also elite, and hasn't shown this to be the case so far.

Everyone else is 32 or younger, not old. I'd have some concern if we were the Kings or Penguins and the #1C and #1D are both ancient, but that isn't the case. The only player on the team that plays a feature role that would be considered old enough to possibly fall off due to age is Ekholm, and he's shown no sign of that at all.

This is an easy narrative for people to seize and harp on, but it's a red herring when you actually look at where age is distributed around the roster.

Oilhawks

Over Old Hills
Nov 24, 2011

I think “Doormat Doormat” would be more accurate :sarcasm:

• Haha

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I think “Doormat Doormat” would be more accurate :sarcasm:
If you read into it I already had that base covered. Could read as either Nurse Doormat being a name of its own or Nurse (-) Doormat being the pairing. Or as you put it. heh

People obsess over the average age, but aren't considering that the two players really pulling that average up are on the 4th line, at least one of which is likely not going to be in the lineup come playoffs. Possibly not even in the lineup come new year with Philp knocking on the door.

Henrique is 34, but likely to play the fewest minutes of his career this year playing outside the Top 6 for the first time probably ever. I don't anticipate issues there. Ekholm is 34, and maybe there's a bit of risk of fall off later in the year, but he's also elite, and hasn't shown this to be the case so far.

Everyone else is 32 or younger, not old. I'd have some concern if we were the Kings or Penguins and the #1C and #1D are both ancient, but that isn't the case. The only player on the team that plays a feature role that would be considered old enough to possibly fall off due to age is Ekholm, and he's shown no sign of that at all.

This is an easy narrative for people to seize and harp on, but it's a red herring when you actually look at where age is distributed around the roster.
Fair comment but doesn't remove that the team is very old, the oldest in the league, and even our topsix is very old and aging. But its weird to have a bottomsix that is this old.

Yeah I hope Ryan and Perry get pulled out of lineup but wil they be? They shouldn't have been extended or made the team.

• Haha
Reactions: Oilhawks

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
If you read into it I already had that base covered. Could read as either Nurse Doormat being a name of its own or Nurse (-) Doormat being the pairing. Or as you put it. heh

Fair comment but doesn't remove that the team is very old, the oldest in the league, and even our topsix is very old and aging. But its weird to have a bottomsix that is this old.

Yeah I hope Ryan and Perry get pulled out of lineup but wil they be? They shouldn't have been extended or made the team.

The oldest player in the Top 6 is 32, and the keys to the top 6 are 27 and 28. Agree to disagree, but I don't see this as a problem. Especially when one of them (Skinner) is likely gone after this year to be replaced by Savoie, and the other is only signed until he's 32 (Arvidsson). We aren't long term entrenched in these players.

It's beside the point anyways. Should we be upset if these "old" players in the top 6 (Hyman, Skinner, RNH, Arvidsson) score at least 20 goals a piece and perform at a Top6 level? It just doesn't matter.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Sure but keep in mind we were one loss away from getting bounced in round 2. Lots of things came together perfectly for that run.

Assuming past success will dictate future success is really not the correct way of thinking.

Still early obviously
That’s not what I was doing.

I was pointing out the flaw in your logic.

North

Jun 25, 2009
It is. But I like the thought of letting Emberson play with a player that isn’t a total tire fire. It’s good for Emberson’s game to get more comfortable with team systems and forward tendencies in that 3rd pair. Once he is “settled” move him up and challenge him more. I guess we will see.
This.

I don’t think it was fair to throw him in with Nurse because Nurse doesn’t help his d partner at all.

Emberson needs to grow his game and I think being with Kulak will allow that to happen.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
The oldest player in the Top 6 is 32, and the keys to the top 6 are 27 and 28. Agree to disagree, but I don't see this as a problem. Especially when one of them (Skinner) is likely gone after this year to be replaced by Savoie, and the other is only signed until he's 32 (Arvidsson). We aren't long term entrenched in these players.

It's beside the point anyways. Should we be upset if these "old" players in the top 6 (Hyman, Skinner, RNH, Arvidsson) score at least 20 goals a piece and perform at a Top6 level? It just doesn't matter.
They'll have to be scoring more than that as the team is going to be giving up more GA this season. Pretty much guaranteed.

Yeah, its good we have Skinner for only one year.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
A bunch of really good teams this year had a bad first game. It’s a long season. All I care about is if edm makes the playoffs and everyone is focused and things click at the right time.

Agree but I think home ice is critical to our success in a deep playoff run.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
POLL
Which goalie will out play our goalie this weekend:
A. CHI
B. CAL
C. None of the above
D. All of the above

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad