Pre-Game Talk: Weekend Warriors - Chi & Cal B2B

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
We play 2 lowly teams back to back, both of whom will be playing their 2nd of a back to back, both of whom are not expected to make the playoffs, both of whom carry massive roster revamps from the offseason and both of whom we should beat handily on paper.

Given that the Oilers seemingly never start on time, almost always show up late to work, have a dog that always eats the homework and uses preseason to fart around for 90% of it, both of these games might be quite an adventure for the overwhelming Stanley Cup favourites who rock the Coyotes/Sharks D combo (lol) to start the season.

Yes the team will look a lot different at the TDL than it does today but the strategy of a bargain basement D is going to be challenged mightily until that time.

This weekend the team needs to hit the gas in their Lamborghini with the Canadian Tire tires, step out in their Armani suits with Crocs on their feet, and grab both games wearing their Rolex Oysters with the Presidents Choice batteries.

Curious if KK mixes up the top 2 lines today at practice and which game Skinner will start. I’m guessing he starts vs Chicago while Pickard gets the hated Flames.

My personal over under on total goals for the Oilers this weekend is 9, and total body checks thrown by the Oilers this weekend not counting Podkolzin is 20.

I shouldn’t be nervous for these 2 games but I am. I hope the Oilers have just showed up late to work this season and are now ready to get at it.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I think the Flames will be better this year than some people think.

The simple reason being there is no pressure on them so some nights they will surprise.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
We play 2 lowly teams back to back, both of whom will be playing their 2nd of a back to back, both of whom are not expected to make the playoffs, both of whom carry massive roster revamps from the offseason and both of whom we should beat handily on paper.

Given that the Oilers seemingly never start on time, almost always show up late to work, have a dog that always eats the homework and uses preseason to fart around for 90% of it, both of these games might be quite an adventure for the overwhelming Stanley Cup favourites who rock the Coyotes/Sharks D combo (lol) to start the season.

Yes the team will look a lot different at the TDL than it does today but the strategy of a bargain basement D is going to be challenged mightily until that time.

This weekend the team needs to hit the gas in their Lamborghini with the Canadian Tire tires, step out in their Armani suits with Crocs on their feet, and grab both games wearing their Rolex Oysters with the Presidents Choice batteries.

Curious if KK mixes up the top 2 lines today at practice and which game Skinner will start. I’m guessing he starts vs Chicago while Pickard gets the hated Flames.

My personal over under on total goals for the Oilers this weekend is 9, and total body checks thrown by the Oilers this weekend not counting Podkolzin is 20.

I shouldn’t be nervous for these 2 games but I am. I hope the Oilers have just showed up late to work this season and are now ready to get at it.
You paint a vivid picture. Almost DaVinci-like!

• Haha
Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

CantHaveTkachev

Accruing Cap Space
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I dunno why, but I can see the Oilers starting 1-3...they need to fire up their compete level and hasn't been there since the start and this team is notorious for not starting to until after they're down...they're only comfortable when they're playing "catch-up"

I think they eek by Chicago but it won't be pretty

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I predict a circus win against the Blackhawks where we win an exciting, but stupid 6-5 type game. We'll then be happy about that, then get handily outworked and potentially embarrass ourselves against the Flames.

Until this group proves that they can flip a switch, I'll always assume it will be painful for 30-60 days. Pretty much any other team of our experience would come out and run through the weekend on the back of that Jets embarrassment, but that just isn't what we do here.

Hope they prove me wrong.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.

This is Turkey weekend. That part scares me too. I'm doing my part to hold off the Turkey till monday and I don't want this to be any foreshadowing. heh

This is tongue and cheek. I seem to have to say that sort of thing. Hopefully no turkeys on ice on Sat and Sun. I don't want shitty games either.

Starter should get the tougher game which is Calgary. The 9 is a lot of goals after what we've seen so far. Of course the club are capable, but you never know.

I don't know a lot about these new D either. Far too early to evaluate I guess. I d want to see Stecher and I doubt I get that.

Reactions: brentashton

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Panthers started sluggish last year coming off a final, no excuses for sure but there probably is some truth to the "finals hangover"
A bunch of really good teams this year had a bad first game. It’s a long season. All I care about is if edm makes the playoffs and everyone is focused and things click at the right time.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
This is early season Edmonton Oilers we are talking about. They are very capable of getting blown out in this game, but also have the potential to blow them out.
Depends on if the boys decide to show up or not.

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
I have a feeling that CGY game will be tough. They work hard, something we do not see to start the year over and over again

Stealth1616

Oct 12, 2019
Was hoping this is the year the boys would be all business. Consistently being at the top of the division, etc.

I’m ok with losing after putting in a strong effort and still losing out I feel we will still see a lot of terrible efforts this year.

There are also just too many holes in this team to be considered a top contender, on any given night something will fail us

North

Jun 25, 2009
Was hoping this is the year the boys would be all business. Consistently being at the top of the division, etc.

I’m ok with losing after putting in a strong effort and still losing out I feel we will still see a lot of terrible efforts this year.

There are also just too many holes in this team to be considered a top contender, on any given night something will fail us
There were holes last year too and they made it to game 7 of the Stanley Cup final.

Reactions: Mr Positive

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Reactions: Oilhawks

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I have a feeling that CGY game will be tough. They work hard, something we do not see to start the year over and over again

A thing this group still doesn't seem to understand is teams get up to play us.

In the Flame room you're going to have a bunch of young guys looking to make a mark and beat the Oilers. This will be circled on their calendar as a game they really, really want to win to prove themselves. Conversely, in our room it's just another Sunday against a non-playoff team that we should beat just because.

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
Oldest team in the league now. Average age of 30.3 and it showed against winnipeg.

Stealth1616

Oct 12, 2019
There were holes last year too and they made it to game 7 of the Stanley Cup final.
Sure but keep in mind we were one loss away from getting bounced in round 2. Lots of things came together perfectly for that run.

Assuming past success will dictate future success is really not the correct way of thinking.

Still early obviously

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad