Pre-Game Talk: Week of the sky falling (Ari, Wpg, Bos)

Status
Not open for further replies.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Well after that game we may as well look onto the next week as we start a 4 game homestand. A couple questions this week.

- Does the Malkin waive signify a potential deal or just done for flexibility and lighting a fire?

- Does Bednar keep with Varly or does he switch over to Pickard?

- Will Mack get going?

- Will Rantanen ever score a goal in the NHL?

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Mikko. 15 games. 1 point. -12.

Should have drafted that other dude or possibly the third dude. I know some say the fourth dude, but they are just idiots.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I really hope the offense finds a way to kick into a new gear by Friday, because I have tickets to that game, and the last one I went to was Nashville...

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I must say, it's nice to see Calgary in pretty much the same boat the Avs are. New coach, high hopes, stars dissapointing.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
OTL vs. ARI
L vs. WPG
L vs. BOS

Pickard will keep it close with Arizona and Boston.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Three games we should win. If it was my choice Pickard would get the nod in all three games, it's painfully obvious Varlamov isn't sharp enough now, gotta go with the guy that gives you the best chance to win.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
This team has such a loser mentality. If they go down early, it's pretty much all but over. I think that is the biggest issue with Varlamov, and why it looks like the team plays better in front of Pickard.

Varlamov has given up goals in the first 5 minutes in what seems like every game. This team behind the 8-ball plays like a bunch of tentative amateurs. Frustration sets in and the whole team falls apart.

If the Avs can start getting through the first 10-15 minutes without getting scored on, they'll probably start scoring more. And as a result, win more.

Time to give Pickard the net to lose, and given what Bednar has said about evaluating it on a week to week basis, I'm thinking they're going to ride Pickard this week.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Need to take 2 of 3 at minimum. We can be worse than the Blues and still be a playoff team. We can't be worse than the next 3 and hope to get there.

Avs91

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2013
Wyoming
I almost wonder what it'd be like if hockey was like soccer where you can 'loan' players to other clubs....

Can anyone imagine what the Avs at Pittsburg practice might be like? Not even a game, but would the Avs players get their ***** kicked, seeing what their comparative efforts looks like? :laugh:

I'm really hoping Picks gets the AZ start tomorrow. I've had Varly riding my bench in fantasy and finally dropped him for the other. Course he'll probably get lit up now....sorry guys lol :dunno:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
This team has such a loser mentality. If they go down early, it's pretty much all but over. I think that is the biggest issue with Varlamov, and why it looks like the team plays better in front of Pickard.

Varlamov has given up goals in the first 5 minutes in what seems like every game. This team behind the 8-ball plays like a bunch of tentative amateurs. Frustration sets in and the whole team falls apart.

If the Avs can start getting through the first 10-15 minutes without getting scored on, they'll probably start scoring more. And as a result, win more.

Time to give Pickard the net to lose, and given what Bednar has said about evaluating it on a week to week basis, I'm thinking they're going to ride Pickard this week.

It's a snowball effect, get down early like that and they aren't scoring so getting 2 goals in a game feels insurmountable, other team can tighten up and play more defensive hockey too. And yeah if they can actually get to the later stages of a game or period without being down they can play a lot better. Other than the Tampa game, how much time has this team even played with a lead?

I would go Picks against AZ too. If he wins you just have to keep rolling with him. At this point whoever can get a win should get the net next. They really need 4 points minimum here this week. All winnable games at home, there's just no excuse to not manage at least that.

SuperJoe

Feb 24, 2010
Royal City
Well AZ on Tuesday should be a win, then Winnipeg again on a back to back and three in four, so probably a loss and then Boston again on a back to back. No reasons not to get 4-5-6 points this week, but then again our lovely Avs might come out of it with only 2.

We average 2 goals for per game and 3 goals against per game, that's a full goal differential per contest, tough to win games in this league like that.

The only positive is it might take only 85-88 points to make the playoffs in the West, so it's really tough to be out of it unless you're the Canucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad