Pre-Game Talk: Week of Make a F***ing Save, Damnit! vs NYI (Mon 7PM); vs BOS (Wed 7:30PM); vs ANA (Fri 7PM); @ SJ (Sun 6PM)

How many goaltenders will play for the Avs this week?

Votes: 6 10.9%

Votes: 4 7.3%

Votes: 25 45.5%

Votes: 5 9.1%

Votes: 15 27.3%

• Total voters

Arch angel

Nov 24, 2023
Montana
Starting Georgiev is a truly damning reflection on how the team views Annunen. George at the moment is our best hope, he was better last game than the first three. Hopefully he trends upwards and can work his way out of the funk.
Yeah, I’m hoping the same for Georgie. Would assume annunen gets one of the next 2 starts regardless of what happens tonight.

The sheer agony for the team might finally be enough for Georgie to move beyond whatever his shit-demons are and just settle in. If his expectation was that he was a superstar, finally accepting he’s not instead of being deep in his head might get him more to the acceptable side. Then rest of the team can try to make the best of our misfit toys lineup.

Reactions: SirLoinOfCloth

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Again, how much time has Annunen been in there and yet he still has comparable numbers to Georgiev (a difference of 0.183)?
And why are you expecting the numbers to get worse? He looked fine against Columbus once he settled down. You know who's number has gotten worse every start? Fourgiev.

Annunen might not be the answer but wtf do we find out if we never even give the guy a chance to start?

Honestly I'm almost at the point where I'm hoping for a loss so real chances will be made.

Reactions: Alienblood

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Again, how much time has Annunen been in there and yet he still has comparable numbers to Georgiev (a difference of 0.183)?
I think there's a bit of a difference in mindset both for a goalie and the team when your minutes are coming after being put in for a goalie who has already trashed the chances for the night and with a coach that continues to do the same shit.

I'm am very much NOT saying that Justus is the answer, but I do honestly believe he's better than he's showing and most of it has to do with WHEN he is getting his minutes. Start him...allow him to have an even scoreboard and see if there's a difference. Especially with the team in front of him.

Same thing for the new guy when he gets here.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
And why are you expecting the numbers to get worse? He looked fine against Columbus once he settled down. You know who's number has gotten worse every start? Fourgiev.

Annunen might not be the answer but wtf do we find out if we never even give the guy a chance to start?

Honestly I'm almost at the point where I'm hoping for a loss so real chances will be made.
He actually wasn't a disaster against Boston, the team just completely shat the bed in the 2nd period and couldn't recover. There's only one goal he let in that I thought was garbage and that was still through a screen. Mind you, he was not great by any means, but I don't think they would've won if Annunen had been between the pipes either.

Believe me if the #2 guy had done ANYTHING to ensconce himself in the role then I'd be all for a change. He hasn't, so they're going to try this until they either can't move forward and they HAVE to try something else, or Georgiev figures it out.

Honestly I think they're just trying to buy as much time as they can until Kahkonen is ready.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I think there's a bit of a difference in mindset both for a goalie and the team when your minutes are coming after being put in for a goalie who has already trashed the chances for the night and with a coach that continues to do the same shit.

I'm am very much NOT saying that Justus is the answer, but I do honestly believe he's better than he's showing and most of it has to do with WHEN he is getting his minutes.
He really hasn't shown he's NHL caliber at all. Anytime he's come away with a win he's been both insanely lucky and the team has played phenomenal defense in front of him. Dude leaves nets WIDE open continually and gets beat from distance unscreened way more than even Georgiev. As others have pointed out, he's a worse version of JoJo.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
He really hasn't shown he's NHL caliber at all. Anytime he's come away with a win he's been both insanely lucky and the team has played phenomenal defense in front of him. Dude leaves nets WIDE open continually and gets beat from distance unscreened way more than even Georgiev. As others have pointed out, he's a worse version of JoJo.
His numbers as the backup last year were more than fine. They were actually quite good overall. He's more than earned a start. This is just Bednar's BS lineup decisions that he makes every year.
1000040134.jpg

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
One thing is very clear: Bednar sees only one path to winning and it's Georgiev getting back on his feet. He's his goalie, he said it before and his actions are proving that he meant it.
Seriously I'm starting to question what makes Bednar a good coach. We see zero in game adjustments and his solution to everything is to play his best players more. Having MacKinnon, Rantanen, Makar and Toews can cover up a lot.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
Seriously I'm starting to question what makes Bednar a good coach. We see zero in game adjustments and his solution to everything is to play his best players more. Having MacKinnon, Rantanen, Makar and Toews can cover up a lot.
Like I say I think we are seeing ge isn't a good coach.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
His numbers as the backup last year were more than fine. They were actually quite good overall. He's more than earned a start. This is just Bednar's BS lineup decisions that he makes every year.
View attachment 918264
But numbers don't tell the whole story, they CERTAINLY don't when it comes to goaltenders. Analytics folks have warned for a long time not to just look at Save % and GAA, those can be very deceptive.

If we were just looking at numbers, JoJo was a phenomenal goalie for the Avs up until that blowout at the hands of the Maple Leafs.

As I said before, gotta watch those games where Annunen started. He should've let in a ton more goals than he did, but the Avs defense AND some really dumb luck bailed his ass out.

Like I say I think we are seeing ge isn't a good coach.
The fact that you of all people are saying this is proof positive that he's a master bench boss.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
All due respect it's kinda ridiculous to say he's not a good coach. We know he struggles with adjustments, doesn't mean he doesn't do other aspects of the game well. A guy does not become the hands-down best coach a three-time Stanley Cup winning franchise has ever had if he sucked.

And really, what's the solution except to play the best players more when there are FOUR scoring line wingers and the team's #2 defenseman (who also happens to be their best shutdown guy and penalty killer) out with injury? There is NO DEPTH to speak of. None.

He's not above reproach by any means but let's not get overboard with the hyperbole here.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
All due respect it's kinda ridiculous to say he's not a good coach. We know he struggles with adjustments, doesn't mean he doesn't do other aspects of the game well. A guy does not become the hands-down best coach a three-time Stanley Cup winning franchise has ever had if he sucked.

And really, what's the solution except to play the best players more when there are FOUR scoring line wingers and the team's #2 defenseman (who also happens to be their best shutdown guy and penalty killer) out with injury? There is NO DEPTH to speak of. None.

He's not above reproach by any means but let's not get overboard with the hyperbole here.
He was a fantastic coach. Came in and basically had to create a new culture and system on the fly during an NHL season in which they got their asses absolutely handed to them by everyone.

But then...respectability. Then advancement. Then frustration. Then championship breakthrough. Now more frustration, but largely driven because of injuries and suspensions.

He's been great all the way through. I'm just wondering if this current group might not be better off with someone who has different, fresh ideas. It doesn't even need to be the HC...even an AC that has the latitude to really implement some new life in the speciality teams would make a lot of difference in my opinion.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
One thing is very clear: Bednar sees only one path to winning and it's Georgiev getting back on his feet. He's his goalie, he said it before and his actions are proving that he meant it.

Yeah like the death grip of a man already in free fall from 40 stories up meant it.

Normal support was game 3 lol.

twostroke2023

Dec 15, 2023
I’m actually watching regularly out of morbid curiosity now. How many games in a row can they lose? How many games till bednar is fired? How many goals is Georgie gonna let in? Will they all be soft? It’s like a beautiful train wreck that I don’t want to look at but can’t help but staring at.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
He was a fantastic coach. Came in and basically had to create a new culture and system on the fly during an NHL season in which they got their asses absolutely handed to them by everyone.

But then...respectability. Then advancement. Then frustration. Then championship breakthrough. Now more frustration, but largely driven because of injuries and suspensions.

He's been great all the way through. I'm just wondering if this current group might not be better off with someone who has different, fresh ideas. It doesn't even need to be the HC...even an AC that has the latitude to really implement some new life in the speciality teams would make a lot of difference in my opinion.

You know, some new assistant coaches might have accomplished this..

Cmac..

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

We all know at some point he will get fired. It's inevitable for any coach in a pro league. I'm just not anywhere near that right now, certainly not when the goaltending is complete and utter shit and there's an entire scoring line and half a top pairing missing from the lineup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad