Pre-Game Talk: Week of Make a F***ing Save, Damnit! vs NYI (Mon 7PM); vs BOS (Wed 7:30PM); vs ANA (Fri 7PM); @ SJ (Sun 6PM)

How many goaltenders will play for the Avs this week?

Votes: 4 8.2%

Votes: 3 6.1%

Votes: 24 49.0%

Votes: 4 8.2%

Votes: 14 28.6%

• Total voters

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Through the eye test, Mittlestadt looks decent, especially in the offensive zone and there have been moments he has looked great defensively as well. The problem is that the analytics are against him, he has I believe the highest number of turnovers on the team and that isn't going to cut it.

The Parker Kelly hate is a bit hilarious to me, are we really that far down the scapegoat list that he's losing us games now? He's dumb, but playing above his paygrade due to injuries.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Through the eye test, Mittlestadt looks decent, especially in the offensive zone and there have been moments he has looked great defensively as well. The problem is that the analytics are against him, he has I believe the highest number of turnovers on the team and that isn't going to cut it.

The Parker Kelly hate is a bit hilarious to me, are we really that far down the scapegoat list that he's losing us games now? He's dumb, but playing above his paygrade due to injuries.
Even in games 1 and 2 when his role was limited he looked horrible. Kelly does nothing on the ice but skate around aimlessly and he's not fast enough to be a high-intensity guy. He stinks, and should be in the AHL.

Mittelstadt has gotten the short end of the stick in all 4 games. He's either playing with two rookies or he's playing with Wood and LOC. It's an unenviable task when he's also being asked to shut down opposition top lines.

There's a reason whenever he's out there late in periods with 29 and 96 that line is usually generating chances. He reads off of 29 in particular very well. It's almost to the point where I wonder why Bednar doesn't try

Mittelstadt - MacKinnon
Rantanen - Colton

as duos and plug in wingers around them.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

The biggest issue with Mitts' line isn't Mitts. It is Ritchie. Bednar saddled Mitts with Ritchie and has rarely moved away from it for any real length. Mitts' xGF% with Ritchie 37.28%... without Ritchie 64.78%. Ritchie is a rookie and with that you get good and bad. The good are those flashes of talent, the shot, the deke, the pass... the bad are the own zone turnovers and soft plays that lead to the line getting trapped for a minute in their own zone. Those happen 2-3 times a game, and a lot of it falls squarely on Ritchie's shoulders. People want to deflect away from Ritchie for natural, human reasons.... but he's a major issue in the lineup currently.

The Kelly hate stems from him playing a role he has no business playing. He's a 13F type who is playing a 3rd line center role. It is more on the front office and Bednar than Kelly. But Kelly has been horrible.

Ceremony

How I choose to feel is how I am
Jun 8, 2012
I'm really shocked that PowerMac guy who only posts, like, twice a year to bitch about the team isn't here right now. I could use some entertainment.

Speaking of entertainment, where's that JH guy?
I'll liven it up if you want. What do you want to hear?

Ceremony

How I choose to feel is how I am
Jun 8, 2012
That's a good try but I think his were waaaay more unhinged.
I think we've all seen bernmeister say MacKinnon is the only thing that would work I'm going for unhinged not completely detached from reality.

Unironically though the season is a lost cause and should be written off sooner rather than later

Reactions: Alienblood

SB

Mar 9, 2004
Colorado
473044_1_m.jpg

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
yeah Colton has been good He looks more 2C than Mitts.
We could invent a time machine and if we traded Bo for a prime Gretzky (with his 80s salary cap hit) and Alienblood would be crying everyday about it.

Did you give birth to Bo's baby or something man? Give it a rest, he's going to slip on the ice and hurt himself with all the glaze you throw at him

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Last time the Avs lost 4 straight in regulation: April 22, prior to that was Feb 19.

Last time Avs lost 5 straight in regulation: March 17 (that was 7 in a row)

Neither the Avs nor Nordiques lost 5 straight in regulation to start a season. It would be a franchise first if it happened.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Last time the Avs lost 4 straight in regulation: April 22, prior to that was Feb 19.

Last time Avs lost 5 straight in regulation: March 17 (that was 7 in a row)

Neither the Avs nor Nordiques lost 5 straight in regulation to start a season. It would be a franchise first if it happened.
You just know the Avs are going to get pounded by Anaheim.

We'll probably be without Wood and we'll magically find out Kovalenko can't go, either.

MacKinnon, Rantanen, Mittelstadt and Colton will play 30 minutes.

• Wow
Reactions: The Moops

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
You just know the Avs are going to get pounded by Anaheim.

We'll probably be without Wood and we'll magically find out Kovalenko can't go, either.

MacKinnon, Rantanen, Mittelstadt and Colton will play 30 minutes.
I'm not ready to go there... but if it happens and then followed by a San Jose beatdown, we could be in for some fireworks!

I do think we're going to see guys get a ton of minutes. Makar, MacK and Rants at 30, Mitts, G, and Manson at 25... it may buy some wins, but it'll have a cost.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
ER wrote this prior to last night's game, but I think it should be noted that the G-Manson pairing has had to do a ton of heavy defensive lifting and has done reasonably well (for the most part) but obviously, they're not getting the goddamned saves.

Screenshot Sammy.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad