Pre-Game Talk: Week of Make a F***ing Save, Damnit! vs NYI (Mon 7PM); vs BOS (Wed 7:30PM); vs ANA (Fri 7PM); @ SJ (Sun 6PM)

How many goaltenders will play for the Avs this week?

Votes: 3 6.7%

Votes: 2 4.4%

Votes: 24 53.3%

Votes: 4 8.9%

Votes: 12 26.7%

• Total voters

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
“Focus on the process and make the next save… We’ll need him to bounce back tonight”- Jared Bednar on expected starter vs Boston Alexandar Georgiev
So back to Georgiev? If the plan was to NOT play Annunen at any point unless Georgiev is injured, why the f*** didn't they get another backup like Lankinen who was still available at the start of training camp? If you can't trust your backup, go get another one.

f***ing unbelievable.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
So back to Georgiev? If the plan was to NOT play Annunen at any point unless Georgiev is injured, why the f*** didn't they get another backup like Lankinen who was still available at the start of training camp? If you can't trust your backup, go get another one.

f***ing unbelievable.
I don't think it is lack of trust so much as George is the only guy on the roster who has the talent to get where they want to go. Annunen and Kahkonen may give you games, but they aren't going to be starters and certainly not at the level we'd need. So they are simply trying to get George going with the hopes that he finds something.

Topcheese31

Nov 21, 2023
Didn't had the time to watch a Avs game this year so far. How does Ivan look ? You guys see him finishing the season in the NHL ?

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I don't think it is lack of trust so much as George is the only guy on the roster who has the talent to get where they want to go. Annunen and Kahkonen may give you games, but they aren't going to be starters and certainly not at the level we'd need. So they are simply trying to get George going with the hopes that he finds something.
So you deal with it like Toronto did last year with Samsonov. Give him time off to figure out his head, and hope that Kähkönen or Annunen can at least give you a chance to win in the meantime.

Let's not replicate the Oilers start to last season. We need some points here.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo

f***ing unbelievable.
We'll need him to bounce back tonightWe'll need him to bounce back tonightWe'll need him to bounce back tonightWe'll need him to bounce back tonightWe'll need him to bounce back tonightWe'll need him to bounce back tonightWe'll need him to bounce back tonightWe'll need him to bounce back tonightWe'll need him to bounce back tonightWe'll need him to bounce back tonightWe'll need him to bounce back tonightWe'll need him to bounce back tonightWe'll need him to bounce back tonightWe'll need him to bounce back tonightWe'll need him to bounce back tonightWe'll need him to bounce back tonightWe'll need him to bounce back tonightWe'll need him to bounce back tonightWe'll need him to bounce back tonight

The-Shining-jack-nicholson-40991148-618-346.gif

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
So you deal with it like Toronto did last year with Samsonov. Give him time off to figure out his head, and hope that Kähkönen or Annunen can at least give you a chance to win in the meantime.

I agree, just skating him out there game after game to make a fool of himself isn't going to restore his game. One more lacklustre game, and he needs to go to the AHL to figure it out.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

That's how I'd operate, but this has been the MO of the Avs and Bednar. Right or wrong, they'll give George every chance to gain back his confidence and play.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
That's how I'd operate, but this has been the MO of the Avs and Bednar. Right or wrong, they'll give George every chance to gain back his confidence and play.
I think it's specifically on Bednar (and Parkkila). CMac didn't sign another backup because he thought Annunen looked promising and would get a runway. With Kähkönen, he obviously wants to give even more options to Bednar in hoping he would actually use them.

Then again, if it played out like this, what is the level of communication between the coaching staff and FO? Bednar could've said it early summer that Annunen is no good, get me someone else.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
LOL who's hurt now? Wood? A mystery injury?

I cannot believe that Steinberg gets the first callup over Polin, Phillips, Tynan or even Megna.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I think it's specifically on Bednar (and Parkkila). CMac didn't sign another backup because he thought Annunen looked promising and would get a runway. With Kähkönen, he obviously wants to give even more options to Bednar in hoping he would actually use them.

Then again, if it played out like this, what is the level of communication between the coaching staff and FO? Bednar could've said it early summer that Annunen is no good, get me someone else.
IMO Annunen was signed like he was to avoid arbitration more than anything else. The second reason would be that he was cheap AF. The Avs couldn't really afford the going rate for better backups (1.75-2.5m), so their eggs were fully in the George basket regardless. Bednar is simply playing the hand he was dealt fully well knowing that George is his best option for an adequate level of play.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
I don't mind the Stienburg recall the team needs some sandpaper tonight against the baddest and best dcore in the league.

Lumipanda

Oct 5, 2010
Finland
I guess Kähkönen still isn't in town either?

I honestly don't understand why not start Annunen; what do we have to lose at this point?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad