Pre-Game Talk: Week of Huge (NAS, @CHI, MIN, @STL)

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Anyone have any idea/care to guess how the goalie situation will go this week?

Will Pickard only play the back to back?

Either Allaire has abandoned his "set the schedule for the week" thing he does or Bednar doesn't bother asking him. All we know is Varlamov starts tomorrow. I'd think they go with Varly all games except for the 2nd of the back-to-back.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Divisional games are fun

and stressful, but fun

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Either Allaire has abandoned his "set the schedule for the week" thing he does or Bednar doesn't bother asking him. All we know is Varlamov starts tomorrow. I'd think they go with Varly all games except for the 2nd of the back-to-back.

I think he's much more open to rolling with Picks if Varly doesn't have a good game. That's probably the loose plan but I don't think he'd hesitate to play Picks earlier than that.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I think he's much more open to rolling with Picks if Varly doesn't have a good game. That's probably the loose plan but I don't think he'd hesitate to play Picks earlier than that.

I don't doubt that one bit. If we're making guesses though I'd say Varly plays 3/4 of the games as the current plan but it's definitely subject to change. For those wondering Varly has had: 1 Very Good Game, 1 Above Average Game, 1 Average Game and 2 Below Average games. Pickard has had: 2 Average Games. Source: hockeygoalies.org

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Anyone have any idea/care to guess how the goalie situation will go this week?

Will Pickard only play the back to back?

Probably. A week of divisional opponents should mean we need to lean heavily on our #1 tender. If Varley plays lights out on Saturday, I'd even double shift him Sunday to take advantage of a hot streak.

Over the Pants Landy

Feb 19, 2013
CT
Winning tonight will set the tone for the entire week. Get it done tonight on home ice, and ride the momentum into 2-1-1 or 3-1.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
What a lovely week. Four straight wins against these divisional non-entities really should set us up nicely for the season ahead, though I'd be content with just wins in the games against Minnesota and Saint Louis. I'll let you decide if it's because I really can't stand them or because they're early games.

Nashville tonight should be a win as well, come to think of it. Terrible start to the season for them compared to where they probably expect to be, their ringer of a coach should be easy to beat provided our newfound offensive speed/fluidity persists.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Can anyone pinpoint for me the difference in play so far between Roy's system and Bednar's? Because from here the scoreboard results and the atmosphere around these boards seem exactly the same

hoserthehorrible

Jul 15, 2003
Colorado
Can anyone pinpoint for me the difference in play so far between Roy's system and Bednar's? Because from here the scoreboard results and the atmosphere around these boards seem exactly the same
The Avs seem to be spending less time trapped in their defensive zone this year. I think it's a combination of things but a lot has to do with their lets transition from D to O quickly philosophy. I think they may be getting a bit more offensive zone time as well due to a bit more aggressive forechecking. They certainly seem to be shooting the puck more; perhaps a result of not being hemmed in their own zone as much.

I think the style of play is definitely different under Bednar than it was under Roy. The eyeball test says so for me. The stats will tell the story once they've played some more games; sample size a bit too small right now.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
The style of play is certainly different. Quicker breakouts, less homerun passes, less puck rushing, more forechecking and dump ins, less creativity in the offensive zone. As for win/loss results and stats, it is too early to tell. We are so early into what Bednar is doing that one good or bad game can sway things so far to either side. We need to get 30+ games before we can really start evaluating where everything stands.

IMO Bednar's system will lead to a lot better advanced stats, but that is a pretty low bar with where the Avs were. I'm guessing the Avs will be around the ~49-50 corsi measures, but the PDO will be lower than it was under Roy (1.5-2 points lower is my guess). How that will translate to the standings... I figure the Avs will be roughly in the 86-92 point range.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
I think they'll play mostly well, have probably one stinker, end up with 4 points of 8. Most people with their heads on straight will see basically the team that we expect this year (i.e. fundamentally better play, but still plenty of growing pains) other will lose their minds for some reason. Or in other words, a typical week for the Avs.

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
Never seem to play well against divisional teams. I expect this trend to continue until they show me otherwise.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Never seem to play well against divisional teams. I expect this trend to continue until they show me otherwise.

Outside of Minny, the Avs tend to do well against the Central. Last season the Avs were 1-4-0 vs the Wild and 12-9-3 vs the rest of the Central.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad