Pre-Game Talk: Week of Drop the F'n Puck: @VGK(Wed 8PM), vCBJ(Sat 7PM)

How many points this week?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Certainly not the upcoming season indeed. They unloaded Laine for cap space they didn't need and replaced him with Aston-Reese (waiver claim). They also asked (and received) for the right to not meet the cap floor. Their only goal this year is to minimize expenses.

They are tanking harder than the former Coyotes on a bad year.
I mean, not much else they can do. Waddell's primary mission is probably trying to find a way to unload Merzlikins' contract. Not sure who they decide to part with in addition, maybe Werenski, who knows.

The rebuild they tried so desperately to stave off is finally here.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I mean, not much else they can do. Waddell's primary mission is probably trying to find a way to unload Merzlikins' contract. Not sure who they decide to part with in addition, maybe Werenski, who knows.

The rebuild they tried so desperately to stave off is finally here.
So many wasted years, players and opportunities. Oh well.

If they don't keep Werenski I hope they don't just use him to help getting rid of a contract. That'd be disastrous.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
So many wasted years, players and opportunities. Oh well.

If they don't keep Werenski I hope they don't just use him to help getting rid of a contract. That'd be disastrous.
We're seeing clubs do everything possible to avoid a full teardown, especially smaller markets like Lumbus and Winnipeg. It can be done IMHO but you gotta have a little luck and can't make any big mistakes. The Blue Jackets obviously had NONE of the former and a lot of the latter. Can't say I blame them for trying everything possible to keep butts in the seats but the execution could not have been worse.

Ironic that a big reason the Jax failed miserably during the Rick Nash era, Scott Arniel, is now in charge of the Jets.

Ceremony

How I choose to feel is how I am
Jun 8, 2012
1728417663904.png

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
I know I’m not very popular around here these days but hypothetically speaking, say after the first 9 games Ritchie has 2-3 points, hasn’t really impressed defensively and is only getting 12-13 minutes a game and minimal PP time, but Lehkonen isn’t ready to go yet. Does he stay or go back to junior? I know his play is largely going to dictate what happens after those 9 games, but it is significant that all other 19 year old first rounders were sent back to their junior teams, including Easton Cowan, whose further ahead in development than Ritchie imo.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
I think the line-up is pretty decent considering how many are out.
Obviously have to wait to see how they look, but on paper it's not a disaster.
Do you guys still really consider Landy to be apart of the team? Hasn’t played a game in two years and still no timetable for his return. More than enough time for McFarland to have replaced him. So really it’s just Lehkonen and Nichushkin out.

GoNordiquesGo

Oct 1, 2016
Montreal, Quebec
I know I’m not very popular around here these days but hypothetically speaking, say after the first 9 games Ritchie has 2-3 points, hasn’t really impressed defensively and is only getting 12-13 minutes a game and minimal PP time, but Lehkonen isn’t ready to go yet. Does he stay or go back to junior? I know his play is largely going to dictate what happens after those 9 games, but it is significant that all other 19 year old first rounders were sent back to their junior teams, including Easton Cowan, whose further ahead in development than Ritchie imo.
If after 9 games he has 2 points, sucks defensively, plays 12 min and no PP... they will definitely keep him for the rest of the year! :sarcasm:

Reactions: Leviathan899

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I really don't think they'll keep him for a 10th game unless he totally rips up the NHL in those first 9. There are enough career scrubs on the farm they can call up until Lehkonen is ready.

Do you guys still really consider Landy to be apart of the team? Hasn’t played a game in two years and still no timetable for his return. More than enough time for McFarland to have replaced him. So really it’s just Lehkonen and Nichushkin out.
For now, yes, he's part of the team, if for no other reason than the fact that they didn't make any big splurges in the offseason and could be icing a lineup with, like, four rookies or something like that. So the Avs are absolutely treating him like a part of the team, no reason why we shouldn't.

And FTR you're way more popular than the guy on here who's made hating Sammy Girard his entire personality.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
If after 9 games he has 2 points, sucks defensively, plays 12 min and no PP... they will definitely keep him for the rest of the year! :sarcasm:
I’m just asking that in the sense it Lehkonen still isn’t ready to go. Let’s be honest, he made opening night roster after a very pedestrian and average pre season, so it isn’t out of the realm of possibility. He had one highlight reel goal and outside of that did nothing to show he’s NHL ready, yet is here. He doesn’t make any other team in the NHL right now with a full lineup, which is why I asked that. I get it fully that if Lehkonen is ready he’d be sent back, but doesn’t sound like he will be ready until early November.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
They’ll send him down, but first force him to moved to London.

Reactions: Leviathan899

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad