NFL GDT: Week 8: Russell’s New Recipe

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yep. Risk of a raw QB. He's got an offensive minded HC who worked with Hurts, so familiar with the dual threat style. But, man ARich is a bad passer. Very interesting QB draft. Stroud, good enough size and arm strength. Physical specimens in ARich and Levis but both have issues relying on physical ability vs playing QB. Young, tiny and his accuracy isn't what was expected out of him, which is the only way he's going to make it in the NFL.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The NFL is not a development league
Nope. And it shouldn't be with how short careers are and how other player's financial future depends on the qb position. Kid panics and runs into a sack, that goes against the OL. WR get separation but no passes means less money. RB who face stacked boxes get fewer yards cause the D know QB can't throw loses money.

Don't fault kids coming out for sure bet $30 mill vs staying in college and developing to bet on themselves for that monster 2nd contract.

But, up to teams to decide who to bet on. In recent drafts, the one and day QB hasn't made it in the NFL. Kyler is really the only sub 20 game college starter that has done anything. And the negative on him is more height, plus dedication to his craft vs online games. Sanchez probably the next solid starter. But a bunch of misses in there as well.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Richardson is the Colts fault, everyone wants to be trendy and find the next Josh Allen and they wind up finding a dude who's out of the league in a few years. Like all of you said, college starts matter to some degree, you need to see defenses at that level to even remotely be ready for the NFL.

Reactions: TheGreenTBer

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
richardson looked pretty good last season before getting hurt. what happened?

never thought he'd pan out in the NFL, but i thought he was going to prove everyone wrong after last season

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
richardson looked pretty good last season before getting hurt. what happened?

never thought he'd pan out in the NFL, but i thought he was going to prove everyone wrong after last season
He was new so DC didn’t get a book on him yet. But he doesn’t seem to get it.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Nope. And it shouldn't be with how short careers are and how other player's financial future depends on the qb position. Kid panics and runs into a sack, that goes against the OL. WR get separation but no passes means less money. RB who face stacked boxes get fewer yards cause the D know QB can't throw loses money.

Don't fault kids coming out for sure bet $30 mill vs staying in college and developing to bet on themselves for that monster 2nd contract.

But, up to teams to decide who to bet on. In recent drafts, the one and day QB hasn't made it in the NFL. Kyler is really the only sub 20 game college starter that has done anything. And the negative on him is more height, plus dedication to his craft vs online games. Sanchez probably the next solid starter. But a bunch of misses in there as well.

Even among the experienced guys though, how many are truly ready to go on day one, particularly in the frequently bad teams that get to pick the cream of the QB crop? Yeah, the NFL shouldn't be taking guys like Richardson and trying to teach them to be an NFL passer when they're not even an NCAA passer, but even so I think most guys needs some development. I think smart teams accept that rather than trying to hide from it.

Tbh, I kind of wonder how things would be going with the Richardson experiment if he wasn't made out of glass.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Even among the experienced guys though, how many are truly ready to go on day one, particularly in the frequently bad teams that get to pick the cream of the QB crop? Yeah, the NFL shouldn't be taking guys like Richardson and trying to teach them to be an NFL passer when they're not even an NCAA passer, but even so I think most guys needs some development. I think smart teams accept that rather than trying to hide from it.

Tbh, I kind of wonder how things would be going with the Richardson experiment if he wasn't made out of glass.
Whenever you draft a QB, there are going to be growing pains. That's understandable. Nowadays, most kids are like Williams, Maye, Young, Stroud, etc. who were 2 year starters in college for around 25-27 games. They leave school as true JRs or RS So. Don't see as many 3 year starters with 35 starts under their belt.

But, being very raw and upping the level of competition is a monster challenge. If teams stopped taking these mega projects early then maybe they opt to return to school to get more reps and be better prepared to play. Since the money difference of what NIL can offer picks in the 20's. Pick 20 rookie deal is $15 mill over 4 years. Richardson is $34 mill as the 4th OA pick.

Reactions: Peat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad