NFL GDT: Week 7: Prodigal Sons Returning

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
This is Week 7, and we’re going to see this week just how far the NFL thinks they can stretch the TV schedule. 6 games are nationally televised to everyone. And that doesn’t necessarily mean they’re all compelling.

Thursday Night on Amazon Prime: Denver at New Orleans

Fun fact: the Broncos have lost 3 times in their history in New Orleans, against 3 different teams: of course one is the Saints, but they also lost two Super Bowls.

This is also the first meeting since that Covid game in 2020, where the Broncos didn’t have any quarterbacks.

All that is burying the lede. This is the Sean Payton Return Game, and there are opinions about. This will also be the night Drew Brees goes into the Saints Hall of Fame. Which has an awful lot of people in it given how bad the franchise has been for the balance of their history, and having started it in 1988.

This game might be awful. The Broncos offense has inspired very little so far, and the Saints have Derek Carr (not that he was inspiring), Chris Olave, and Rasheed Shaheed listed as out. Not sure about Taysom Hill. O/U is 37.5. Sadly, as a Saints fan I am forced to watch, but you’re all better off watching baseball.

Sunday Morning on NFL Network, from London: New England at Jacksonville

Yeah, you can’t make me watch this one.

MAPS

IMG_7445.jpeg

Houston at Green Bay: Nico Collins is on IR, which is sad for me because I was hoping he and Jayden Reed would break the scoreboard as I have both on both of my teams. The Texans are only 1-4 all time against the Packers.

Tennessee at Buffalo: the Bills narrowly escaped a third straight loss, and have added Amari Cooper to their receiver room. The Titans still have Will Levis at QB.

Cincinnati at Cleveland: the Bengals defense showed up last week, finally, holding the Giants to 7 points as their offense struggled all night. Joe Burrow is only 1-5 against the Browns. The Browns have not scored more than 18 points as a team, and they failed to score an offense touchdown against the Eagles last week.

Carolina at Washington: WFT found the heat a bit too hot against the Ravens last week, but they’re still looking good for first place in the NFC, especially with the Panthers in town.

Las Vegas at LA Rams: the Rams still have half of their team hurt and are still 6.5-point favorites. The Raiders got blown out 32-13 by a Steelers team that looks like they’re going to change their quarterback. Says a lot.

IMG_7446.jpeg

Detroit at Minnesota: Huge matchup in the NFC North. Everyone is 4-2 or better, with the Vikings 5-0. The Lions completely and gloriously shitkicked the Cowboys in Dallas 47-9 last week, to the point they were running Madden subs, putting linemen split out wide and shit. After having put 42 on the Seahawks the week before, the NFL I know tells me that they’re due for a comedown, and now they are without Aidan Hutchinson for the first time. Vikings are slight favorites.

Philadelphia at NY Giants: Saquon Barkley returning to New York, with the Philadelphia Eagles, only gets a 1pm slot on a week with 6 national games. Saquon says he has moved on from his Giants feels. However, the G-Men have played tough football on defense - don’t forget they kept WFT out of the end zone on their field. The Eagles are -3, but that by no means feels safe with the noise coming out of NovaCare. Is the wrong team favored again? This might be the Giants Super Bowl.

Seattle at Atlanta: the Seahawks started 3-0 and are now 3-3, and we still don’t know what kind of team they are. The Falcons ran their way over the Panthers last week.

Miami at Indianapolis: the Dolphins are off their bye after finding their way past the Patriots two weeks ago. Anthony Richardson was full in practice today, which might actually make this game less interesting.

Kansas City at San Francisco: this is a full national game, the only 4pm game on Fox. And there are only 2 4pm CBS games, and neither are compelling, so the rematch of last year’s overtime thriller in the Super Bowl better be good. No Christian McCaffrey takes a bit out of it, but the 49ers are favorites, but only just. Last time the two teams played in the regular season, the Chiefs won, also in Santa Clara, 44-23, in what became Brock Purdy’s NFL debut in 2022.

Sunday Night on NBC: NY Jets at Pittsburgh

Troy Aikman asked the question: where do the Jets go from here? The answer is Pittsburgh, for another national game. And it’s where Davante Adams will be too as he is now a New York Jet, the way Aaron Rodgers intended. The Steelers were only on SNF 2 weeks ago, but hopefully they’ll start on time this week. Even coming off a win in Vegas, with a 4-2 record, the Steelers appear to be considering switching quarterbacks from Justin Fields to Russell Wilson, who would make his Steeler debut. Word has it he has decided on what his catchphrase will be, which would answer a question nobody wants an answer to.

Monday Night Double

Baltimore at Tampa Bay: everyone knows the gag now, Lamar Jackson has only lost 1 game as a starter vs. an NFC team (it was to the Giants). If only he could figure out how to get to the Super Bowl. The Ravens beat a hot Washington Football Team last week. The Bucs became the third team in NFL history, first since 1950, second since 1949 (which means the only other two times this happened was in consecutive seasons nearly 75 years ago) to have three interceptions, 50+ points and win by at least 24 in beating the Saints 51-27 - all 27 points in the 2nd quarter. A lot of stuff that’s hard to do. This game is an ABC/ESPN simulcast.

LA Chargers at Arizona: that means this game is an ESPN+ exclusive, which begs the question, if you’re going to ESPN+ to watch Monday Night Football, why wouldn’t you be watching the other game instead? Unless you’re a displaced fan of either, or want to have two games on at once. As a network, it doesn’t seem to have any logical sense. ESPN, just because you can, doesn’t mean you should.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Is 6 weeks in enough that we can start questioning the Ravens' pass D? They were best in the league last year. They're arguably bottom 5 in the league so far.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
This Lions game will be interesting. I expect them to hold up for a little bit without Hutchinson, but long term, there is no way they'll be able to replace his pressure rate. Despite leaving early last game, 6 games in he has almost 40% of the team's total pressures. If they can't get pressure on Darnold, I think the Vikings offense will feast.

On the other side, the Vikings get a ton of pressures, which Goff is really bad against, but they do so by blitzing a ton, which Goff is really good against. Their rush defense has been really good, which is obviously necessary to have a chance to stop the Lions.

I think the Vikings take it. But it'll be interesting to see how the Lions adapt to not having Hutchinson.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
It better fix itself quick. They have Tampa up next. I expect that game to be a high scoring shootout.
A repeat of the Bengals game perhaps?

They have a couple of easy ones after this game, with the Broncos and Browns back to back, but if they can't stop the Buccaneers' passing game on Sunday, it's probably time to start asking how much they lost with Mike Macdonald's leaving.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Is 6 weeks in enough that we can start questioning the Ravens' pass D? They were best in the league last year. They're arguably bottom 5 in the league so far.

Their pass defense has been terrible so far but the rush defense has been excellent. They're definitely outscoring their problems right now though. The offense is on a complete heater and pretty much unplayable.

Reactions: Romang67

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
But he has been a fixture there for 4 decades? Of course it was 4 decades of shit teams, but who's keeping track of that?
Good for him being a loyal fan for that long but chant in your own section

Why does it have to be on the video board?

Nothing is stopping him from yelling J E T S JETS JETS JETS to the hundreds around him lol. He just wants attention and to be on the big screen and on TV.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Good for him being a loyal fan for that long but chant in your own section

Why does it have to be on the video board?

Nothing is stopping him from yelling J E T S JETS JETS JETS to the hundreds around him lol. He just wants attention and to be on the big screen and on TV.

he thinks he is important, when he is really just another dipshit in a Jets jersey and stupid hat

Reactions: John Price

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad