Buffalo Bills Week 7 -- Buffalo (4-2) vs Titans (1-4) Sunday 10/20, 1:00 pm, CBS

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Glad they won. The division looks even more bleak for anyone challenging Buffalo. Just get in the playoffs, and pray Allen goes on a heater.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Enjoyed ourselves at the game. Was shocked how uninvested Jets fans seemed. Stadium was empty until kickoff and then they started filling in, got to maybe 75%? And they kept leaving, going to the bathroom, getting food, etc. Nothing unusual, but it just struck me how often I was letting people in my row pass me and getting annoyed at folks in the aisles obstructing the view of the game. Just very little interest all around. All the jets fans started leaving as soon as the pick at the end, didn't even wait to see if the Jets got the ball back.

What in the world is up with Hollins usage? I really don't get why Shakir ever comes off the field.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
9-7 missed the playoffs five times that year alone. They won a tiebreaker through arcane voodoo while being nearly -60 in points differential because we finally got a lucky break after two decades of punches in the face
And another team made it at 9-7. There's almost always a participant at 9-7 or worse.

But the point is saying that a coach who did, in fact, break the longest playoff drought in the NFL at the time, and has put up a regular season record of 77-41 in his career, will be known as "just someone who coached Josh Allen" is f***ing stupid.

McDermott will coach in the NFL next year, even if it's not for Buffalo, unless it's his choice not to. His story is far from told.

zenthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
And another team made it at 9-7. There's almost always a participant at 9-7 or worse.

But the point is saying that a coach who did, in fact, break the longest playoff drought in the NFL at the time, and has put up a regular season record of 77-41 in his career, will be known as "just someone who coached Josh Allen" is f***ing stupid.

McDermott will coach in the NFL next year, even if it's not for Buffalo, unless it's his choice not to. His story is far from told.
What McDermott did for the Buffalo Bills is something that two other coaches did during the drought: he took them to 9-7. He didn’t control tiebreakers or have some magic spell to propel a below-average team into the playoffs. Maybe they might have had a better record that year, and wouldn’t have needed the ludicrous tiebreak luck, if he hadn’t thought Peterman was an NFL quarterback, much less a better starting option than Taylor, which anyone with a brain could see wasn’t the case (note: revisit our Bills thread from that time for a very fun read as to who thought what at the time). Alas, he couldn’t see it and threw away that Chargers game, so they did indeed finish that season needing a miracle to get in.

Luckily, he was gifted one of the best quarterbacks of the last several decades and has since planted himself firmly on his coattails when he isn’t planting his feet in the ground and yanking on them.

Will he be coaching next year? Sure, probably here. The owner is content. He’ll get a next job, too, assuming he doesn’t retire. It takes a while for that shine to wear off even for the most middling of coaches (we hired Rex for God’s sake). Without a future hall of famer at QB he’ll be a sub-.500 coach and retire before his legacy is ruined entirely, and if he’s mentioned favorably it will only be in reference to how the Bills teams with Allen were good but couldn’t get it done under him.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
"Gifted" as if Josh Allen was this can't miss prospect. The guy was under. 500 in college.

It doesn't occur to you that maybe the coaching staff did something right on the way?

The rest of your shit is garbage, unfounded speculation. McDermott haters are quite something to behold, indeed :rolleyes:

zenthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
"Gifted" as if Josh Allen was this can't miss prospect. The guy was under. 500 in college.

It doesn't occur to you that maybe the coaching staff did something right on the way?
Gifted as in he was drafted, not formed from the ether through Sean’s will.

And sure, no player is an island and coaches deserve credit. But if you want to credit coaches for Allen’s development, it’s not the defensive guru who copped to pulling the plug on Tyrod for Nate Peterman. It’s a slew of people (both Bills employees and private coaches) that helped refine the raw product. Of course, several of those coaches have seen their own star rise because of Allen’s exceptional ability only to fall back into the mud when given greater authority. When Daboll bombs out for good, we’re not going to see him head coaching again for a while. Dorsey’s going to kick around as someone’s qb consultant and may get a playcalling gig again. Joe Brady might have the same progression in time. McDermott will ride that train before his career is done.

E: you also don’t strictly need to edit in a personal meltdown after the fact but it’s your right I suppose. But I do think it does reveal something: you see a love/hate dichotomy here. Maybe you love the coach, idk. I love the Bills. I don’t hate McDermott. We share some experiences and a few acquaintances, and I’d love to see him and his staff take the next step. I just don’t see that as a reasonable expectation given what we have to go on. If it isn’t, the team should move on.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad