Post-Game Talk: WEEK 6 - The Drake Maye era begins with mixed results

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
1728799599459.png

PATRIOTS: Game Release (PDF) | Roster | Depth Chart | Stats
TEXANS: Roster | Depth Chart | Stats | Roster Flip Card (PDF)

The New England Patriots will continue their two-game home stretch when they return to Gillette Stadium this week to face the AFC North-leading Houston Texans. The Patriots are undefeated at Gillette Stadium against Houston with a 5-0 regular season record and a 2-0 postseason record. The last three meetings between the two teams have been played in Houston. This week's game will be the first game played at Gillette Stadium since the Patriots opened the 2018 season with a 27-20 victory over the Texans on Sept. 9, 2018.

The Patriots will wear throwback uniforms this week for the first time this season. The uniforms are based on the ones worn from 1984-1992 and then sporadically from 1994-2012 as an alternate uniform. The Patriots will wear red jerseys with white pants and a white helmet featuring the "Pat Patriot" logo with white facemasks. The Patriots are 7-3 when wearing throwback uniforms at home. New England has worn uniforms featuring the old "Pat Patriot" logo at home 10 times since switching to the current logo in 1993.

SERIES HISTORY​

The Patriots and Texans will meet in the regular season for the first time since the 2021 season, a 25-22 New England win at Houston on Oct. 10, 2021. The last three regular season meetings have been played in Houston. This Sunday's game will be the first meeting between the two teams in New England since a 27-20 Patriots win in the 2018 season-opener on Sept. 9, 2018.
The Patriots are 7-0 all-time at home against Houston with a 5-0 regular season record and 2-0 postseason record.

The Patriots lead the overall series with an 11-3 advantage, including a 9-3 regular season record and a 2-0 mark in the postseason. The Patriots and Texans played two divisional round playoff games with New England taking a 41-28 win on Jan. 13, 2013 and a 34-16 win on Jan. 14, 2017. Both games were played at Gillette Stadium.

In 2016, the Patriots and Texans played two times with New England taking a 27-0 victory on Sept. 22 and a 34-16 win in the Divisional Playoffs. Both of those games were played at Gillette Stadium.
Before the Texans joined the league, the Patriots and the Houston Oilers were foes dating back to the days of the American Football League, playing twice a year from 1960-69 and 33 times overall before the Oilers moved to Tennessee following the 1996 season

TELEVISION: This week's game will be broadcast by CBS and can be seen locally on WBZ-TV Channel 4. Kevin Harlan will handle play-by-play duties with Trent Green as the color analyst. Melanie Collins will provide updates from the sidelines. The game will be produced by Bill Thayer and directed by Jim Cornell.

LOCAL RADIO: 98.5 The Sports Hub is the flagship station for the Patriots Radio Network. A complete listing of the network's 33 stations can be found here. Play-by-play broadcaster Bob Socci will call the action along with former Patriots quarterback Scott Zolak, who will provide color analysis. The games are produced by Marc Cappello.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
This whole week whenever I’ve seen someone in Patriots gear, I’ve asked them about Maye and how they felt about it if he started today.

Not a single person gave a shit. They assumed I was a Pats fan and wondered why I was watching them still.

I thought it was so shitty. I understand a little cynicism is earned in the stark contrast from glory years to today. But total apathy? With a top QB prospect getting his first start? Wild to me.

As a Browns fan, I’ve endured nothing but shit my entire adult life. But even today, I can say with passion that I want the Browns to lose every single game Watson starts. I’ve never stopped caring.

Boston Bandit

Aug 2, 2005
Former NFL Head Coach Sends Blunt Message To Drake Maye

Herm Edwards seems to believe Maye can provide the Patriots with the spark they’re looking for, and he offered some words of encouragement to the 2024 No. 3 overall pick a few hours before his debut.

“Drake Maye, why not show us why you should have been a starter Week 1?” Edwards said Sunday morning on ESPN’s “SportsCenter.” “Now, you’re the starting quarterback. You know what you need to do? You need to score some points. This team is only averaging 12 points per game. It’s time to put some points on the board, Drake Maye. Why not show us you can do that? Because now you’re the starting quarterback — probably should have been the starting quarterback Week 1.”

Maye will be hard-pressed to make a fantastic first impression, as he’ll go toe-to-toe with a nasty Texans defense that can get after the passer. But Patriots coaches clearly believe the North Carolina product is up to the challenge, and New England players figure to rally around their new QB.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Yeah I would’ve waited at least a week

Oh well if he goes out there and balls today we know we have something special I guess. Keeping my expectations low.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
11th different starter on the offensive line if my count is correct

I’m fine with this move because Leverett was all-time bad last week

But

Also how dumb is Mayo to make the change to a rookie QB with a center who was signed off a PS a couple days ago?

Last edited:

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
This whole week whenever I’ve seen someone in Patriots gear, I’ve asked them about Maye and how they felt about it if he started today.

Not a single person gave a shit. They assumed I was a Pats fan and wondered why I was watching them still.

I thought it was so shitty. I understand a little cynicism is earned in the stark contrast from glory years to today. But total apathy? With a top QB prospect getting his first start? Wild to me.

As a Browns fan, I’ve endured nothing but shit my entire adult life. But even today, I can say with passion that I want the Browns to lose every single game Watson starts. I’ve never stopped caring.

I'd say it's a few things:

First, I'm assuming these people you saw were local to you (Canada) and so it's reasonable to assume they're bandwagon fans, and so will largely be apathetic until the team is good again.

Second, I think a lot of people disagree with starting him now. While the OLine performed better last week, it still isn't good. They're playing one of the best teams in the league who just beat up one of the best QBs in the league last week. This game has the chance to be a massive disaster.

Third, the organization has shown themselves to have reached a new level of incompetence over the past year, and so it's difficult to get excited about anything.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
11th different starter on the offensive line if my count is correct

I’m fine with this move because Leverett was all-time bad last week

But

Also how dumb is Mayo to make the change to a rookie QB with a center who was signed off a PS a couple days ago?
How dumb is Eliot Wolf for assembling this OL. Going into season with no natural LT is fireable

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
For a league that actively promotes gambling, they need to figure out the officiating.

There is no reason they shouldn't have a booth ref be able to buzz down and tell officials to pick up an awful flag like the one thrown on the opening drive

That being said, this team f***ing stinks.

This is what happens when you don't actually do a proper coaching or front office search.

BernieMcAvoy

Feb 18, 2020
The offense is what it is, but the defense f***ing blows and Mayo and Covington have no excuse for that. Almost every week qbs are just able to dink and dunk their way up the field and these guys still haven't made any adjustments to how the defense plays or what they call.

If Shanahan can spawn a new offensive coach who can plug in that system wherever they go, how has the defense instantly gotten worse when these two have been around Belichick every week for years?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad