Buffalo Bills Week 6 -- Buffalo (3-2) at Jets (2-3 ) Monday 10/14, 8:15 pm, ESPN and ABC

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
KC just went from 2nd and 34......to 3rd and 22.....to 4th and 1....to first down.

Unreal. They can't keep getting away with it.

(and no, it wasn't some masterpiece of playcalling -- the 3rd down play was purely to get them in Butker range and then Kelce lateraled to Perine)

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
And this is why fans (video game couch heroes) are not coaches. This is an absolutely horrendous idea. So easy for a lineman to take a penalty safety, boom. Safety. One DL wins wide, boom, safety. One corner or slot blitz from that side, well you get the idea. Allen very often is more than 13 yards behind the line of scrimmage when he's running for his life to the right and the opposition contains him well (which Houston did all day). Well, here he can't do that because you also have to worry about the end line. Bottom line, this would require great blocking on that end from Buffalo to execute as well as Houston continuing to play along and not calling something from that edge. It also won't take close to 10 seconds per play unless Allen hangs in the pocket for 3-4 seconds then starts running. Which, obviously, even more dangerous

I can't even fathom someone thinking long developing rollout in that situation would even anacceptable, much less ideal way to go.
Kindly, you're dead wrong.

If you want to make it a secondary option to bomb it out of bounds, fine. Spread 5 WR wide and see what Houston does. If they look like they're cheating to bring the pressure you fear, complete a simple short pass. Or Josh steps up and runs for a chunk.

But if they fall back into coverage, it's not at all difficult to have Josh dance to where he needs to get and air one into the stands (over the head of a WR who runs a route down the sideline to negate any possible grounding).

It would absolutely take 10 seconds per play, 3-4 to throw it 6-7 to rainbow it 60 yards out of bounds. The pass to Hollins took 6 seconds by itself. Our three plays took 16 seconds total - 20 gets us to OT. Not being able to figure out how to use a few more seconds of clock is inexcusable.

McDermott found a way to get walked off in a situation that was nearly impossible to do so. And it's the same fear-based coaching (like being worried about holding penalties in the end zone that could have happened on any of the three pass plays that DID happen) that will continue to limit our ceiling with him as coach. Same bullshit philosophy as 13 seconds.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Kindly, you're dead wrong.

If you want to make it a secondary option to bomb it out of bounds, fine. Spread 5 WR wide and see what Houston does. If they look like they're cheating to bring the pressure you fear, complete a simple short pass. Or Josh steps up and runs for a chunk.

But if they fall back into coverage, it's not at all difficult to have Josh dance to where he needs to get and air one into the stands (over the head of a WR who runs a route down the sideline to negate any possible grounding).

It would absolutely take 10 seconds per play, 3-4 to throw it 6-7 to rainbow it 60 yards out of bounds. The pass to Hollins took 6 seconds by itself. Our three plays took 16 seconds total - 20 gets us to OT. Not being able to figure out how to use a few more seconds of clock is inexcusable.

McDermott found a way to get walked off in a situation that was nearly impossible to do so. And it's the same fear-based coaching (like being worried about holding penalties in the end zone that could have happened on any of the three pass plays that DID happen) that will continue to limit our ceiling with him as coach. Same bullshit philosophy as 13 seconds.
Lol no. I'm not. There's a reason NO one does this. You realize the clock stops the instant it's clear the ball is over the endline and clearly uncatchable, right? Not that that's the only problem with this idiocy.

Great video game brain you have though.

I also love how apparently calling three shot plays is apparently "fear based coaching". Brady probably could have used a little more fear and run a few more shorter routes. Brady (and Allen, with his decision making) was going for the 41 second no-timeout game winning drive. Hell, they had the third down play open - but they couldn't even block that up for the time required to get the pass off.

Last edited:

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
KC just went from 2nd and 34......to 3rd and 22.....to 4th and 1....to first down.

(and no, it wasn't some masterpiece of playcalling -- the 3rd down play was purely to get them in Butker range and then Kelce lateraled to Perine)
I think the lateral may have been planned on that play - similar to the ole hook and ladder plays.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
NO's kicker missed an XP (though it probably won't matter) while everyone in the league is nails from 55+ against us.

I saw someone suggest that McD made a deal with the devil to get Tucker to miss multiple kicks in the wind storm playoff game in 2020, and it feels like we'll never get the debt on it repaid.

I wonder if more regular downfield laterals, a la rugby pitches, will ever become a mainstream offensive innovation in the open field. Would guess most coaches and players are too risk averse to try it

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
It's early, but...I've never been more certain that the Chiefs will humiliate us in the playoffs if we get there and face them again. Our guys in the trenches, based on their play thus far, have no chance of consistently standing up against theirs, and Reid constantly clowns on our defense. It also doesn't help that their entire offense always gets up for playoff games against us no matter how badly they sometimes suck during the season.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
They have repeatedly failed to get someone to replace Brown as an outside WR who can operate both as a speedy deep threat and a good enough route runner to create space for 10-20 yard intermediate throws. Sanders was that guy for a bit until he got injured. The dart throws at pure speed guys (Harty and MVS) aren’t cutting it, especially when we keep grabbing ones who’ve either lost a step from injury or are old
I would welcome that, but they usually cost a premium

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
It's early, but...I've never been more certain that the Chiefs will humiliate us in the playoffs if we get there and face them again. Our guys in the trenches, based on their play thus far, have no chance of consistently standing up against theirs, and Reid constantly clowns on our defense. It also doesn't help that their entire offense always gets up for playoff games against us no matter how badly they sometimes suck during the season.
Wouldn't that be more true if we had poyer Hyde tre and the rest. This group will improve and become fluent in McD defense and hopefully gel together playing jazz. Really more about josh gelling.

The test you seek comes soon in buffalo and if smacked down or victory, THIS group is learning to deal w kc d and kermit. On film.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Thats what happens when you have an offensive minded coach who knows how to scheme guys open. Also one who doesn't worry about complimentary football.
The 2nd part is such a dumbass statement that shows your agenda. Of course Reid (as all coaches do) believes in "complementary football" (which really only means all three phases playing well and none of them putting the others in a comprimising situation). That's why someone like Hunt gets 25 carries even though they have Mahomes at quarterback.

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
The 2nd part is such a dumbass statement that shows your agenda. Of course Reid (as all coaches do) believes in "complementary football" (which really only means all three phases playing well and none of them putting the others in a comprimising situation). That's why someone like Hunt gets 25 carries even though they have Mahomes at quarterback.
My agenda???????

Complementary football means play it safe on offense and defense. Look at how they play on offense now. It's a lot of dink and dunk. They rarely go for the explosive plays.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
My agenda???????

Complementary football means play it safe on offense and defense. Look at how they play on offense now. It's a lot of dink and dunk. They rarely go for the explosive plays.
Yes, your agenda. You hear McDermott talking about "complementary football" and you twist it up into something it isn't to criticize him.

And pretty funny to be comparing about dink and dunk when Allen average by far his highest average depth of target Sunday and was completely ineffective, both because he missed open guys on some plays and because his WR's couldn't get seperation/ make plays on others. They tried to go down the field all the time Sunday. They were consistently unsuccessful. They also arguably abandoned the run to soon, especially once they got back in the game.

Give me the "dink and dunk" of the Jaguars game back every day of the week.

Of course the reality is defenses are starting to adjust to what Brady did in the first 3 weeks, and it's up to him to now make counter adjustments to get them moving again. He also needs to get less predictable in what the Bills are going to do based on the sets they come out in (last week they ran or threw a screen on every play an extra lineman reported as eligible, for example). He's going to need a bounce back game from Josh in what has been a nightmare stadium for him to do so.

Last edited:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
3rd and 10 wide open receiver over the middle, missed him badly. Every game plan sucks when your qb looks like that.
Allen's ADOT in the game was the highest of the season.

Part of it was Allen's decision-making. Part of it was Allen missing guys. Part of it was a lack of chemistry with his WRs due to not a ton of time on task with them.

Part of it was the gameplan. Part of it was not having boundary WRs that could win one on one matchups with the Texans outside CBs.

Part of it was that the protection schemes were not great.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Allen's ADOT in the game was the highest of the season.

Part of it was Allen's decision-making. Part of it was Allen missing guys. Part of it was a lack of chemistry with his WRs due to not a ton of time on task with them.

Part of it was the gameplan. Part of it was not having boundary WRs that could win one on one matchups with the Texans outside CBs.

Part of it was that the protection schemes were not great.

Agreed hence saying the coach is taking too much blame

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Agreed hence saying the coach is taking too much blame
I think that Joe Brady has taken a reasonable amount of heat for what has happened the last two weeks.

I think that Brandon Beane has taken a reasonable amount of heat.

I think that Josh Allen continues to get a pass from large segments of the fanbase that are unwilling to admit that he isn't perfect and he has bad games.

Allen needs to be better. Brady needs to be better. The WRs need to be better.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Not a huge fan of this happening the week before our first game with them. The "new coach bump" is kind of a real thing.

And as much as I welcome an AFC East foe in chaos.......can't help but think that this is a scapegoat firing. Saleh is a defense guy and his defenses have never been a problem. Offense has always been the issue for the Jets during his tenure -- and a lot of that is a lack of talent....which isn't Saleh's fault per se.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad