Buffalo Bills Week 5 -- Buffalo (3-1) at Houston (3-1) Sun 10/6 · 1:00 PM EDT

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I'm worried they have some success with the run and then hit Likely in the intermediate space with room to run off PA when Spector and Williams start moving forward too aggressively
Mark Andrews hasn't gotten on track this year. Given our green-ness at LB, if Baltimore runs a lot of 1 RB/2 TE sets......they could GASH us on play-action to their tight ends (plural).

This could be a real bad matchup for our defense.

That said, their defense has been absolutely putrid against the pass.

Could be a high scoring game.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
Mark Andrews hasn't gotten on track this year. Given our green-ness at LB, if Baltimore runs a lot of 1 RB/2 TE sets......they could GASH us on play-action to their tight ends (plural).

This could be a real bad matchup for our defense.

That said, their defense has been absolutely putrid against the pass.

Could be a high scoring game.
andrews only ran 4 routes last week. crazy

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Thats why I said best football player. Size, strength, throwing, running. He is the best overall talent to ever play. He usually slightly outplays Mahomes (probably the goat) statistically in the playoffs. If the defense did not fail them, it would be so much different, which is why the conversations about Allen are about being overrated, which is not even his fault. The lack of hardware is impacting how he is actually perceived.
I respectfully disagree.

The NFL has had insanely talented athletes throughout history. There have been all sorts of players that have contributed in multiple ways and Allen has just been a QB. And you have guys like Jim Brown, Bo Jackson, and Deion Sanders that were talented enough to play in the NFL and play other sports at the highest level.

Allen is a one-of-one athlete. But, if you want to argue about best football player, I think you need to look to a guy that contributed at more than just one position like QB.

Mike McDermott

blah blah blah
Apr 23, 2006
Lockport
"Best" =/= "Best overall talent"

There have been PLENTY of supremely talented football players who don't come anywhere near the conversation of best football players ever.

Brady is arguably the best QB of all time, but not necessarily the most talented when it comes to size, strength, throwing, running.

JaMarcus Russell had it all -- size, strength, throwing, running........but amounted to absolutely nothing.
Exactly. I was going to reply to OP until I saw your reply which is much more eloquently put than my ramble would have been.

Reactions: Zman5778

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
This moment was magical. I'll never forget it. I sang my heart out. It hit a bit harder as my ex wife and I danced to this song a bunch of times. It really, really made me miss her. Hurts watching it, honestly. But man, singing my heart out with 60,000 others...I felt alive. Pure ecstasy.

This year has a special feeling to it. I don't want to get ahead of myself, but Im excited.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
This moment was magical. I'll never forget it. I sang my heart out. It hit a bit harder as my ex wife and I danced to this song a bunch of times. It really, really made me miss her. Hurts watching it, honestly. But man, singing my heart out with 60,000 others...I felt alive. Pure ecstasy.

This year has a special feeling to it. I don't want to get ahead of myself, but Im excited.

As a few posters here said mockingly minutes into the season…I’m happy the team is having fun again!

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

When during the game was it?

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
It was funny when a Chiefs fan complained about them dropping from 1 to 2 in a different power ranking citing the Bills having "only" beaten teams with a combined 2-7 record as the reason they should not have leapfrogged the still unbeaten Chiefs who it turns out, shockingly, have also beaten opponents with a combined 2-7 record, lol. The Chiefs have won by an average of 4.3 points while Buffalo has won by 21.3 points. Oh, the Jacksonville game is an anomaly, fine, they won the other team games by an overage of 13.5 points. Oh, Tua was injured so that doesn't count either, okay then they won their other game by six points which is still more than two of the three KC victories.

Sorry. Chiefs fans are insufferable.
Just say , hey yr probably right we'll see over the next three games. Sure yiu guys are awesome. Smile give a Josh aw schucks and keep em guessing. Let them. Think we suck until we play them. Beautiful. Don't mess up that narrative.

We suck!
We suck!

( but its sure fun to watch us suck it up). Hopefully one more week and then , if. Well anyway.

We suck!

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Is it too soon to extend Hollins? I can't remember the last time any addition did so much for the locker room.

A lot of people cite Diggs as a drama queen. Maybe. But I actually think the bigger issue he was bringing was how demanding he is on everyone. Sky high expectations. Every play the super bowl is on the line. Like a coach that breeds a high stress environment. After so many years of it, it really gets to you, things stop being fun.

This team? It's like Mack is teaching them how to have fun again.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Is it too soon to extend Hollins? I can't remember the last time any addition did so much for the locker room.

A lot of people cite Diggs as a drama queen. Maybe. But I actually think the bigger issue he was bringing was how demanding he is on everyone. Sky high expectations. Every play the super bowl is on the line. Like a coach that breeds a high stress environment. After so many years of it, it really gets to you, things stop being fun.

Ha, my dad was/is a big Mack Hollins fan and raved about the acquisition. I had so many questions about this offense about pieces you want moving forward:

Edwards at G
McGovern at C
Davis/Johnson as RB depth
Coleman, Hollins, Samuel, and MVS at WR.

I think everyone but Samuel and MVS have answers my question with a resounding yes. I think Samuel could make his case as the season goes on. MVS should be a a 1-year placeholder as a deep threat.

But yeah, Hollins should be extended. Great blocker, solid route runner, good hands, excellent locker room presence. Shakir, Coleman, and Hollin should all be solid players on this team.

The bills offense may looking at a situation where a deep threat WR to replace MVS is literally the only hole in the offense in the off season. Given our cap space and draft picks, we may be in a luxury situation

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Buffalo Bills

The wins: vs. Arizona (34-28), at Miami (31-10), vs. Jacksonville (47-10)

What was supposed to be a transitional year turned out to be a transitional half. The Bills looked sloppy during the first two quarters of their opener against the Cardinals; at the two-minute warning, they trailed 17-3. Since then, they've outscored their opponents by a combined total of 109-23, scoring touchdowns on more than half of their offensive drives that haven't involved kneel-downs. They appear to have sent the Jaguars into an existential crisis Monday night, with the Buffalo offense scoring touchdowns on its first five drives en route to a 47-10 blowout.

The star, of course, has been Josh Allen. Through three weeks, his 92.6 QBR is the best of any passer in football by more than 11 points. It's the best QBR posted by any quarterback over the first three weeks of the season since 2007, the first year for which QBR exists. And yes, that means Allen has been better through the first three weeks of 2024 than Tom Brady was across the first three weeks of the 2007 season, when he was about to post historic numbers and win his first MVP award. Allen stands as the favorite to claim that hardware, albeit with a long ways to go.

The Allen story is simple: He's combining all of the good things that typically come with Josh Allen football and virtually none of the problems. He hasn't thrown an interception yet. He lost a fumble in the Arizona game but hasn't otherwise coughed up the football. On top of that, he's continuing to avoid sacks at league-best rates, with opposing pass rushers taking him down on just 2.7% of dropbacks. When a quarterback doesn't turn the ball over, doesn't take sacks and has the ability to do Josh Allen things, he's going to post historically impressive numbers.

While Allen has the arm strength to make any throw, he's picking teams apart in the intermediate range. Allen ranked 18th in QBR last season on throws in the range of 11-20 air yards, averaging 9.8 yards per attempt. This season, he leads the league with a 99.9 QBR on those throws, going 9-of-11 for 169 yards and three scores, an average of 15.4 yards per throw. It helps when Khalil Shakir, seemingly Allen's new top target, has caught all 14 of the passes thrown in his direction.

Before the season, it wouldn't have been shocking to imagine Allen playing lights-out football for three weeks. The bigger concern for the Bills seemed to be the defense, which was losing stalwart defensive backs Tre'Davious White, Jordan Poyer and Micah Hyde. Things got worse when star linebacker Matt Milano tore a biceps muscle in August, then became even more harrowing when top cornerback Taron Johnson went down after just seven snaps in the opener. Terrel Bernard, who inherited the top linebacker spot after Milano's injury, suffered a pectoral strain early in Week 2 and hasn't been on the field since.

And yet, somehow, the Bills are thriving on defense. Coach Sean McDermott is blitzing less often, but they've managed to maintain similar pressure rates. When the score has been within 14 points, he has called blitzes on just over 20% of opposing dropbacks, down from 24% a year ago. Blitzing less often should mean a decrease in pressure, but after leading the league with a 32.4% pressure rate when sending four or fewer in those 14-point scenarios a year ago, Buffalo is actually up to 33.3% in those same spots this season.

The real shocker is what's happening when the pass rush doesn't get home. With the Bills signing Taylor Rapp and promoting Damar Hamlin into starting roles at safety and going without Johnson for most of the season, McDermott's secondary has managed to thrive. The Bills lead the league with a 32.5 QBR allowed when opposing passers work out of clean pockets. They're allowing 4.8 yards per attempt in those situations, more than a full yard per attempt better than any other team.

As is often the case for a McDermott-coordinated defense, Buffalo is thriving by avoiding the big play. It's the only team to avoid giving up 30 yards or more on a single play this season, which it has done despite facing the third-most snaps of any defense. The average team gives up a 30-plus yarder about once every 50 snaps. The Bills haven't given up one in 203.

Combine a defense that doesn't give up big plays, an offense that doesn't make mistakes and a quarterback who is capable of the seemingly impossible, and what do you get? Ten straight quarters of irresistible football. Things are about to get tougher for the Bills, who have a three-game road trip against the Ravens, Texans and Jets on deck, but make no mistake: This is comfortably the best team in football through three games.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
Grable To IR

Clapp elevated to 53. Interesting they have 2 B/U G (Anderson & Clapp), 2 B/U Centers (Clapp, Pran-Granger) now on Active roster. As someone said this week here Van DeMark is now your swing tackle
1727362245331.png

4.3 Speed/Gadget receiver to PS. They seem to have multiple versions of this player on the P/S now (Hamler, Virgil).
1727362280510.png

Last edited:

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008

I <3 Hollins. That man throws his weight around. The most recent time I recall is on Cooks TD run on Monday night. Definitely could be our #3 or 4 WR for the foreseeable future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad