NFL: Week 3: In Our Derek Carr Era

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The days may be long, but the week seems short this time of year. It’s Week 3, which means we’re now all the way into this.

Amazon Prime has another AFC East rivalry, but without Bill Belichick, Patriots/Jets just doesn’t seem to have the juice. The Patriots are playing hard however, beating the Bengals and going to overtime vs. Seattle, it’s a quick trip to the meadowlands to play Aaron Rodgers and the New York Jets. Both of these teams played two games last year that was an affront to the sport, so it’s the quintessential Thursday night matchup.

The 506 Maps:
IMG_7401.jpeg

The Eagles get the short week following a brutal MNF loss, and travel down south to the Super Dome to play the 2-0 New Orleans Saints, who have scored 47 and 44 points in their first two games. Is Derek Carr somehow the best QB in the NFC? Who can really say?

We’re still waiting official word, but we may be looking at the Malik Willis return game. The Packers took care of the Colts last week, while the Titans look for their first win after 2 close losses.

Take the under in Giants/Browns, and fire up the hot seat for Brian Daboll.

IMG_7402.jpeg

CBS doesn’t have the greatest slate, the most interesting game seems to be Houston @ Minnesota. The Texans are 2-0, but got slowed down by the Bears last week, and the Vikings usually have a good defense.

Chargers @ Steelers gets Nantz and Romo. Both teams are 2-0, and we presume that means both teams are good. Seems like an under game. Chargers stayed East after playing in Carolina.

Miami has Skylar Thompson at QB, while signing Tyler Huntley, former Pro Bowler, and most recently, a practice squad guy. Feels like a good bet we’ll see both guys while Tua Tagovailoa is on IR.

Someone is presumably watching Carolina @ Las Vegas so no one else has to. I’m going to guess that Alabama markets switched out of that one. Red Rifle lives.

IMG_7403.jpeg

You’ll never believe it, but Fox has Kevin Burkhardt and Tom Brady doing a third Cowboys game in the first three weeks. The Ravens rarely start seasons poorly, but they’re 0-2 after coughing up a 4th quarter lead to the Raiders. A loss here will send them to the Panic Station with the Bills and Bengals on deck.

The 49ers are a pretty big road division favorite to the LA Rams despite both teams dealing with injuries to star players. Losing 41-10 to the Cardinals might have something to do with it.

Speaking of, the Cardinals host the Lions in a sneaky good early season matchup. The Lions got shocked at home by Tampa Bay, and it’s evident that the Cardinals are here to be serious people. Feels like an important game for Jared Goff who did not play well last week

Sunday night pits 2 teams with big wins last week. The Atlanta Falcons host the Kansas City Chiefs, probably not thrilled about having a short week to prepare for the 2-time defending champs, who managed to escape with a win over the Bengals.

Double Monday Night: staggered start times, both nationally available

7:30 on ESPN - Jacksonville goes to Buffalo, and this is a big spot for the Jags, who will need to be desperate to avoid going 0-3. They have 2 division games followed by 2 London games, we may be lighting a match under Doug Pederson’s seat

8:15 on ABC - Joe Buck and Troy Aikman have already said they will be in Cincinnati, who hosts Washington. We’ll get a look at Heisman Trophy winner Jayden Daniels against a pretty good defense the Bengals have, who are in the same spot they were last year, playing Monday Night at home to avoid going 0-3.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
How funny would it be if the Pats won though?
ARod fails to deliver against Boston :laugh:

Ravens @ Cowboys a lot on the line already for these teams.
Lions in Arizona could be a fun game. O/U is at 51.5

Other than that I don't see a ton to get excited about, Chargers and Steelers probably the early game I'm most interested in.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Yeah I thought the whole point of it was because ABC panicked and needed something to fill programming gaps because of the writers strike?

That's obviously over now so uh...why?
“This is the second straight season with several MNF doubleheaders -- there were three last year and the 2024 slate features four. The MNF doubleheaders have come after Disney, which owns ESPN and ABC, increased its number of regular-season games from 17 to 23 in the latest NFL media rights deal.”

Seems we will all just need to get used to it as these companies shell out more and more for the TV rights.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I seriously wonder if Jacoby Brissett will finish this game tonight. He is getting hit a lot and looks in pain most times getting up.

No slight on him though, he's done the best he can the first two weeks but he is very limited in his abilities.

I want Maye to sit as long as he can, but I don't see Brissett being able to do this all season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad