Buffalo Bills Week 3 -- Buffalo (2-0) vs Jacksonville (0-1). Monday, 9/23 at 7:30 PM ET on ESPN

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
The Bills 2024 schedule is quirky. Between all the prime time games, the opponents, the home vs. away matchups and travel challenges, when each opponent is slotted in the schedule, when weather could be a factor, the Bills current injuries and lack of depth, etc. I don't see a single Bills opponent remaining who we know in advance will go down like a fat kid on a see-saw.

I do like the Bills having a "late" bye in the schedule. That bye is actually at the mid-point of the season if you look at the end of the season as the Super Bowl.

It's why when we have a schedule advantage against a weaker opponent like we do against Jacksonville, we have to take advantage.

Just a lot of potential bad matchups later in the year. I don't even want to think about playing Baltimore and Houston without Milano and Benard currently

Apparently, Miami had their lowest pass-blocking game since 2022. The D line ate. I said we'd cruise to victory if they played well. Well, they straight up dominated, and Tua couldn't handle it.

They were missing their left tackle and left guard. Then I believe their left guard went down as well, so 3rd stringer. Once Armstead sat down for the game, it was ugly.

Miami always seems to have injuries on their O-line though. Not sure if its a strength and conditioning issue or their players are just injury prone

Reactions: ValJamesDuex

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
The Fish and McDaniel are especially unlikable. They always have been.

I don't eat cats but I do ea...
Just getting to my notifications. A+! lol

Per Adam Schefter, Hollywood Brown having shoulder surgery now and will be placed on IR.
Some are saying this won't be just a 4 week stint and will be multiple months to recover from.

Bills dodged a bullet if they were looking to sign him.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
Re: Thread Title - Their next game is Jags @ Bills

Week 3 -- Buffalo (2-0) at Jacksonville (0-1). Monday, 9/23 at 7:30 PM ET on ESPN​

Reactions: Dubi Doo

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
It's why when we have a schedule advantage against a weaker opponent like we do against Jacksonville, we have to take advantage.

Just a lot of potential bad matchups later in the year. I don't even want to think about playing Baltimore and Houston without Milano and Benard currently

They were missing their left tackle and left guard. Then I believe their left guard went down as well, so 3rd stringer. Once Armstead sat down for the game, it was ugly.

Miami always seems to have injuries on their O-line though. Not sure if its a strength and conditioning issue or their players are just injury prone
It’s a symptom of their team build. They don’t believe in spending premium assets on the oline, so they have to take shots on discounted guys that are discounted because they’re old and/or injured. Those are the trade offs to paying for two WR1s, trading assets for expensive defensive players, and using third round picks on 4th string RBs.

Reactions: Dingo44

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
It’s a symptom of their team build. They don’t believe in spending premium assets on the oline, so they have to take shots on discounted guys that are discounted because they’re old and/or injured. Those are the trade offs to paying for two WR1s, trading assets for expensive defensive players, and using third round picks on 4th string RBs.
Probably should have changed that after Tua's run or concussions. They probably could have received something nice for Waddle.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
Per McD Bernard expected to miss multiple weeks (about a month) with a peck strain, but not a tear. They are still deciding if he will be put on IR or not.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
If Beane has elected to fortify both lines, give Allen help, and allow McDermott to scheme the back seven on defense, then I'm on board. It's not the mainstream thought, but that's influenced a tad by video games and fantasy football.

I'll take Allen, and five hogs up front. And have highly drafted players behind them developing. I'll also take Babich scheming the defense to wins with the front four making a mess of the line of scrimmage.

Gotta build the lines!!!

Reactions: Der Jaeger

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Per McD Bernard expected to miss multiple weeks (about a month) with a peck strain, but not a tear. They are still deciding if he will be put on IR or not.

Miami got through the 2nd level pretty consistently last night. Their runs were either shutdown at the line or 8-15 yards.

Once Skyler went in they brought the safeties down and were able to shut it down. But against Houston and Baltimore.....

giphy.gif

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Miami got through the 2nd level pretty consistently last night. Their runs were either shutdown at the line or 8-15 yards.

Once Skyler went in they brought the safeties down and were able to shut it down. But against Houston and Baltimore.....

giphy.gif
Against Baltimore, you're not going to be as worried about their receivers beating you deep like with Hill/Waddle. May be easier to bring a safety down more.

Houston is another beast altogether. Maybe you play the same game plan, let Mixon get his yards as long as Stroud doesn't beat you and hope you get enough stops.

Kublakhan

Lets Go Buffalo !!!
Jan 24, 2013
North Tonawanda
He was having a terrible game with 3 picks including a pick 6. Down 3 TDs at that point in time. On that series of downs, he missed a TD on that seam route in the middle to his receiver, high and outside, off the WR fingers. He hits that, he's not on the field for a 4th and 4.

So, he needed to make sure he got the first down. Could not afford to slide short of the first when he had the room to get it. Had to watch the replay a few times, but clearly he isn't a natural runner, in terms of having a combination of 1) having speed or elusiveness 2) vision to see where the tacklers are coming from and where the open field is 3) knowing where the line of the gain is and 4) sliding, either feet or head first depending on the situational needs.

He took a 7 step drop back to the 20, then saw the opening in the middle and took it. Hamlin was coming from his right, but his left side was more open. He should have been running away from Hamlin to avoid full contact. And once he hit the 9, which was the line of the gain, he should have been looking to get down.

Didn't look like a serious hit, but it then shows much susceptible Tua is to a concussion now. He will have made $53 mill in salary for his 5 seasons. And should pocket some of the $42 mill SB even if he opts to retire. Which should put him over $60 mill in career earnings. Money should not be a factor in his decision to retire. He's made generational money. If it's in his best interests to retire, he should. But, that's up to him.
great explanation thanks..

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008

The good news is Von ate their starting RT alive. That 360 spin made Jackson look stupid, then Von takes a speed rush outside for the sack a few snaps later. Jackson definitely bit on Von going inside on him again. Vintage Von right there. Leaving Tackles clueless as to what his next move is. He's a master with his techniques, and it was one of the reasons I was fine with the signing as I thought he'd still be productive even if his speed started lacking. The ACL tear threw a wrench in that.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN

giphy.gif
I oddly am not worried about Houston. I don't think Mixon will replicate 30 carries and McD does a great job limiting weapons with his defenses. Our dline will be the key again as they will need to contain Stroud while pressuring and clog up running lanes. Stroud hasn't seen a defense that disguises as well as McBabich's.

Reactions: Matt Ress

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I oddly am not worried about Houston. I don't think Mixon will replicate 30 carries and McD does a great job limiting weapons with his defenses. Our dline will be the key again as they will need to contain Stroud while pressuring and clog up running lanes. Stroud hasn't seen a defense that disguises as well as McBabich's.
Mixon has been a top back in the league for a few years now but I doubt they're going to take him lightly.

You're right about the d line, they eat up blocks and open space for LBs to make plays which they do sometimes and sometimes they miss with depth players on the field.

I'd add in the secondary that can be very effective against the run and a lot of the defensive in-game tweaks seem to be tendencies by D players and not necessarily just personnel or packages ie. DB jumping a gap in a run formation. This can be too complex for QBs in real time.

You can see our green LBs having to choose between middle field short routes and flat routes which is why I think those flat dumps have been effective against us at times but I'd bet the team is working with the young LBs to improve that as they seem to have a strong emphasis on player tendency.

I think the deeper scheme of the defense is to lull QBs into a comfort zone and then actively have that world crash down on them as they become more aggressive, better technique wise in one-on-ones and take away their anxiety outlets as the game moves along. Very reactionary and why we see the D get better throughout games. Just my 2 cents

Reactions: Dingo44

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
The good news is Von ate their starting RT alive. That 360 spin made Jackson look stupid, then Von takes a speed rush outside for the sack a few snaps later. Jackson definitely bit on Von going inside on him again. Vintage Von right there. Leaving Tackles clueless as to what his next move is. He's a master with his techniques, and it was one of the reasons I was fine with the signing as I thought he'd still be productive even if his speed started lacking. The ACL tear threw a wrench in that.

i’m still mad that people thought he was done after the ACL. dude is a legend. put some respect on his name for god’s sake. and don’t be surprised if he actually ends up playing out his contract here–he could very well end up being worth every penny sans the injury years

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
i’m still mad that people thought he was done after the ACL. dude is a legend. put some respect on his name for god’s sake. and don’t be surprised if he actually ends up playing out his contract here–he could very well end up being worth every penny sans the injury years
I think it's reasonable to think that at his age it would be tougher, and Von didn't do himself a lot of favors with his bluster last year, but good for him if he can sustain this level through the year. McDermott's D-line rotation may really help with that too.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Von Miller is literally found money. He selflessly took a pay cut to help the cap when he could have just told the Bills to f*** off and he’s playing damn good, I think he hits 10+ sacks for sure.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
The defense has been the biggest surprise to me. But this is how it should be if you have a defensive minded head coach.

I was never worried about the offense. I was happy with the Diggs trade and am glad that he's gone. He's a great player, but guys like that are a distraction and they zap everyone's energy.

Reactions: Kupo

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm

If Josh and crew stay dialed in and play football before the bye. Well , you make your own judgement whether the league can do anything about w the line gelling w joe Brady concepts .

Josh planting his foot decisively. 11 playing together fast w violent purpose and explosive intent on D and O. Decide, then humbly say nothing and appreciate as a fan without a word just a wry smile, and hope a team of perfectionist football geeks don't get cocky w success, all appreciating the fragility of it building .

Well , a pleasure to watch. If concept is thwarted or sloppy execution, josh allen can create fun to watch.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad