Buffalo Bills Week 3 -- Buffalo (2-0) vs Jacksonville (0-1). Monday, 9/23 at 7:30 PM ET on ESPN (CBS Channel 4 in Buffalo)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

buffa dud

Dec 31, 2021
At risk of sounding like a grumpy old man, "fun" isn't really the difference I want to hear about.

Brady and Babich sound well liked, but I need guys to lock in this year and have a sense of urgency to win, with the corresponding standards at practice

Trust me. You can have fun, and have a sense of urgency to win; that's quite probably the best kind of culture to have.

The Mike Keenan, John Tortorella, Michael Jordan, Bell Belichik, Tom Brady way only goes so far for so many people.

buffa dud

Dec 31, 2021
Well, didn't quite get the pre-season they wanted, health wise, but nice to see the injury report so short heading into the season.

Let's just hope they don't come out sluggish and slow because home to Arizona is as close to a "must-win" a week 1 game gets. Home to New England might be the only easier game on the entire schedule. Arizona's offense isn't awful with Murray but their defense very well could be so they can't come out and stall out against them.

Every game is a must-win game. There aren't ****-off games, if you're trying to make the Super Bowl.

2023: San Francisco
2022: Philadelphia
2021: -
2020: Kansas City
2019: San Francisco

Since the NFL expanded the playoffs to include a third wildcard team per conference (which reduced the number of byes available to only two teams per year), the Super Bowl has featured a number one seed virtually every year.

But if you think about it, there were 10 Super Bowl seats available to the league, going back to 2020. 4 of those seats featured a team from the pool of 10 number one seeded teams to qualify. 6 of the remaining seats featured a team from the field, of which there were 60 teams available.

So, if you're a number a number one seeded team, you have a 40% chance of making the Super Bowl; if you're any other team, you have a 10% chance. Historically.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
At risk of sounding like a grumpy old man, "fun" isn't really the difference I want to hear about.

Brady and Babich sound well liked, but I need guys to lock in this year and have a sense of urgency to win, with the corresponding standards at practice
I do.

In my experience, a work environment that is fun is much more likely to lead to positive outcomes than a work environment that is miserable.

And when talking about team sports, that is elevated even more.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021

I'm very curious to see how Williams does next to him. He was all over the place last season so lets look for improvements. I'm sure opponents will be keying on him. No Dodson for depth either, Spector is your backup.

Woke up jacked up for tonight's game. Already been jacked up for our game all week. Go Bills
Going to smell like football weather Sunday! :D
Screen Shot 2024-09-05 at 7.40.40 AM.png

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I'm very curious to see how Williams does next to him. He was all over the place last season so lets look for improvements. I'm sure opponents will be keying on him. No Dodson for depth either, Spector is your backup.

Going to smell like football weather Sunday! :D
View attachment 905211
Williams is similar to Dodson in that he thrives on playing downhill and is not great in coverage. That was why you saw them go to 3 safeties and take Dodson off the field a lot on obvious passing downs last season.

It will not shock me if they do something similar this season with Edwards or Bishop coming in on obvious passing downs and Williams coming out.

I did not expect that prior to the Milano injury. But, now that he's on the shelf...

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Williams is similar to Dodson in that he thrives on playing downhill and is not great in coverage. That was why you saw them go to 3 safeties and take Dodson off the field a lot on obvious passing downs last season.

It will not shock me if they do something similar this season with Edwards or Bishop coming in on obvious passing downs and Williams coming out.

I did not expect that prior to the Milano injury. But, now that he's on the shelf...
I think that's exactly what Babich will do.

Williams is going to be run in run fits and he may be able to make some quicker plays in the run game. But he's not great in coverage, at least from what we saw last season.

Having Hamlin starting and Edwards able to come in on passing downs, essentially going into a morphed dime defense, will help.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I think that's exactly what Babich will do.

Williams is going to be run in run fits and he may be able to make some quicker plays in the run game. But he's not great in coverage, at least from what we saw last season.

Having Hamlin starting and Edwards able to come in on passing downs, essentially going into a morphed dime defense, will help.
Williams did not look that much different in the preseason from most of what I have heard from people that were at a lot of practices and that have dissected the preseason game film. He still has a lot of room to grow in coverage, unfortunately.

Reactions: ValJamesDuex

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Williams did not look that much different in the preseason from most of what I have heard from people that were at a lot of practices and that have dissected the preseason game film. He still has a lot of room to grow in coverage, unfortunately.
I don't pay too much attention in pre-season. I'm still scarred from the Trent Edwards - CJ Spiller pre-season years ago.

I like to judge players once the full in-season game plan is installed and players are going full tilt. If it's something physical, like does a player recovering from an injury look like they are back to full speed, sure, pre-season can offer an insight.

If it's play speed, diagnosis, etc, I wait until the regular season. I would like to see Williams with a game or two to see if there's any improvement.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
I actually have NOT watched the new kickoff. Didn't tune into any pre-season game. Will be tuning in tonight.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Every game is a must-win game. There aren't ****-off games, if you're trying to make the Super Bowl.

2023: San Francisco
2022: Philadelphia
2021: -
2020: Kansas City
2019: San Francisco

Since the NFL expanded the playoffs to include a third wildcard team per conference (which reduced the number of byes available to only two teams per year), the Super Bowl has featured a number one seed virtually every year.

But if you think about it, there were 10 Super Bowl seats available to the league, going back to 2020. 4 of those seats featured a team from the pool of 10 number one seeded teams to qualify. 6 of the remaining seats featured a team from the field, of which there were 60 teams available.

So, if you're a number a number one seeded team, you have a 40% chance of making the Super Bowl; if you're any other team, you have a 10% chance. Historically.
Every Super Bowl winning team but one in the history of the NFL has lost a game in the regular season. The last 4 super bowl winners (since they added a 7th playoff team per conference) have combined to lose 19 games. The last 4 Super Bowl winners have been a 1 seed, 3 seed, 4 seed, and 5 seed.

Obviously it's easier as a one seed since they have to play one less game, although 3 out of 4 years is hardly "virtually every year" (and it still does not require winning every game). So no, every regular season game is not a "must-win". Get into the dance and go from there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zman5778

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I do.

In my experience, a work environment that is fun is much more likely to lead to positive outcomes than a work environment that is miserable.

And when talking about team sports, that is elevated even more.
Trust me. You can have fun, and have a sense of urgency to win; that's quite probably the best kind of culture to have.

The Mike Keenan, John Tortorella, Michael Jordan, Bell Belichik, Tom Brady way only goes so far for so many people.
I don't think fun is bad. I also don't think there's been a deficit in that department, to the point where that's the biggest difference this year.

Granted, if its more fun because the offense scheme is more dynamic, then I'm on board.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I don't know if it's the inherent Buffalonian in me.......but I'm kinda nervous for the game Sunday.

Arizona's offense could/should be pretty good this year -- Murray throwing to MHJ/Zay Jones/Dortch isn't awful, and Trey McBride is exactly one of those freaky athletic TEs that have given us fits without Milano. Then, James Conner is one of those backs that will either go 20/49 or 20/120/2 on us. Granted, their OL isn't good, but if Murray gets the ball out quick......

That said.....their defense is.....welll.......it isn't very talented.

I think we win this game. I'm gonna say 34-27. But it isn't going to be a game where Arizona gets points in garbage time to make it look close. Wouldn't shock me if we're tied going into the 4th.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
I don't know if it's the inherent Buffalonian in me.......but I'm kinda nervous for the game Sunday.

Arizona's offense could/should be pretty good this year -- Murray throwing to MHJ/Zay Jones/Dortch isn't awful, and Trey McBride is exactly one of those freaky athletic TEs that have given us fits without Milano. Then, James Conner is one of those backs that will either go 20/49 or 20/120/2 on us. Granted, their OL isn't good, but if Murray gets the ball out quick......

I think we win this game. I'm gonna say 34-27. But it isn't going to be a game where Arizona gets points in garbage time to make it look close. Wouldn't shock me if we're tied going into the 4th.
I'm with you. The offense really needs to hit the ground running.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I don't think fun is bad. I also don't think there's been a deficit in that department, to the point where that's the biggest difference this year.

Granted, if its more fun because the offense scheme is more dynamic, then I'm on board.
I think it is really hard to judge from the outside how much fun it was to be around certain people who are no longer in the building, and not just former players.

I'm with you. The offense really needs to hit the ground running.
I expect there to be some bumps in the road early on offense because of the huge makeovers on the OL, WR room, and with Brady throwing out the old playbook and putting in his playbook.

Reactions: ValJamesDuex

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN

Zay won't be playing, apparently you can't choke people ..

Reactions: Zman5778

buffa dud

Dec 31, 2021
Some surprising choices for the 'Council', although I realize it's not all that important. Cook doesn't strike me as a leader in the slightest, he's a quiet guy who seems to do his own thing. Taylor Rapp plays dirty, not sure he needs to be leading by example unless we like penalties.

Call it semantics, but I don't consider Rapp dirty as much as I do reckless and unaware. It looks like he's chasing the play a lot of the times. And, (again) this may just be perception, but it seems like his teammates are just as likely to get wiped out as his target.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
EDIT: 1520 has a Audacy betting show 9-11 a.m. Sundays hosted by Jason La Confora,

I think it is really hard to judge from the outside how much fun it was to be around certain people who are no longer in the building, and not just former players.

I expect there to be some bumps in the road early on offense because of the huge makeovers on the OL, WR room, and with Brady throwing out the old playbook and putting in his playbook.
I'm picking the Bill's by 6 Sunday (spread is -6.5) in a tight game.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad