NFL GDT: Week 2: Groundhog Day for Kirk Cousins

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Tua lowkey starting to remind me of Eric Lindros.

Difference is, one guy played in an era where we grossly underestimated the impact of head trauma.

I do hope Tua at least considers retirement but ultimately it's his choice. He gets 92 million of that 210 he signed for if he walks. It goes up to 167 if he can't be medically cleared.

I'm not a Dr and don't know anything.
Tua needs to do what he wants ,it's his life .
Talk to his family .

Tua : Daddy , I'm not sure what to do , I think I need time and the Dr advice before making any decisions. Thanks for listening Daddy.

Josh Allen: That seems like a good approach son.
Classy.

I'm sure you'd be singing the same tune if it was Allen in this spot. Asshat.

Last edited:

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I'm not a Dr and don't know anything.
Tua needs to do what he wants ,it's his life .
Talk to his family .

Tua : Daddy , I'm not sure what to do , I think I need time and the Dr advice before making any decisions. Thanks for listening Daddy.

Josh Allen: That seems like a good approach son.

Uhh not sure if this was appropriate my dude..

Reactions: PanthersPens62

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Criminal to go into this season given Tua's history with this bum as the backup
Outside of the obvious variable here (Tua's history) that's kinda just how it is in the NFL in general.

The Jets went into last season with a trash can in Zach Wilson backing up a guy pushing 40. Green Bay had Malik Willis who might be the worst QB in football backing up Love.

Very few teams are lucky enough to have a backup that can step in and at least keep the ship afloat.

Reactions: Romang67

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Tua lowkey starting to remind me of Eric Lindros.

Difference is, one guy played in an era where we grossly underestimated the impact of head trauma.

I do hope Tua at least considers retirement but ultimately it's his choice. He gets 92 million of that 210 he signed for if he walks. It goes up to 167 if he can't be medically cleared.

Classy.

I'm sure you'd be singing the same tune if it was Allen in this spot. Asshat.
My guess is that Tua will be medically cleared to play at some point, be it in Sept or Oct. I mean, compared to the NHL which is about half of the players, how many times have we seen the equivalent of a permanent LTIR due to concussions like Pronger, Savard, Ferland, etc? Maybe, cause the NFL can cut guys with an injury designation that it doesn't show up on injury reports.

Seen Luke Kuechly walk away after he had 3 in 3 years.

As for his new contract, that part I'm not too up to date on when it comes to injuries and contract. He earned up to his 5th year option $53 odd mill. Got $42 mill in the Signing bonus on the new deal he just signed. But, that can be clawed back if he walks away, ala Megatron with the Lions. But, he shouldn't allow that to influence his decision. He's already made generational money.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Apparently he's not interested in a short-term role. I'm not convinced Tua or even Miami will shut Tua down for good.

Not sure what short term role means, but saw this from this article

That would include the team reaching out to him being a playoff contender in need of a quarterback, having a strong offensive line and offensive weapons, and offering him the kind of money he’s looking for.

Dude is in fantasyland...he might as well be retired if that's what he wants.

Realistically there no one out there who's available that might change the Dolphins' trajectory. Sounds like they just gonna roll with Skylar.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Apparently he's not interested in a short-term role. I'm not convinced Tua or even Miami will shut Tua down for good.
It’s not the number of concussions for Tua that is alarming, but it’s how his body shows signs of traumatic injury that is very concerning. This wasn’t even a hit by Hamlin, Tua lowered his head into hamlins chest and arm. And Tua ends up the way he did.

I’m sure he’s going to be cleared at some point. Question is how susceptible he is to another concussion and is another one likely to end up similar to the ones he’s had where his body just stiffens. And then what’s the impact on his long term health.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He should retire then. No team is signing him to be a starter the rest of the year. His best bet is Miami.
Tanny has made $196 mill in the NFL. So, with that amount, he can certainly be selective.

He wants to be like Flacco, in that if he signs, he plays the rest of the season, not there for 3 games and back to the bench. But, at this point, I don't see it for him. His best success was with Arthur Smith, who is now the OC in Pitt.

But, so quickly into the season and it's down to:

GB - Willis/Clifford to get GB at least 1 win in Sept. (Indy, Ten, Min up next)
Mia - Thompson to get them at least 1 win before their week 6 bye (Sea, Ten, NE)

Minny already at QB2 in Darnold for the w
Cle - Watson looked terrible still and no Flacco on the roster this season.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
It’s not the number of concussions for Tua that is alarming, but it’s how his body shows signs of traumatic injury that is very concerning. This wasn’t even a hit by Hamlin, Tua lowered his head into hamlins chest and arm. And Tua ends up the way he did.

I’m sure he’s going to be cleared at some point. Question is how susceptible he is to another concussion and is another one likely to end up similar to the ones he’s had where his body just stiffens. And then what’s the impact on his long term health.
This is the thing that most concerns me too. I'm the furthest thing from a neurologist/doctor. Concussions aren't good in general but i can't imagine it's a good thing that on 3 of the 4 Tua has suffered, they end with pretty serious results. Data says the damage from it tends to be cumulative and the threshold for the suffering of immediate effects lowers each time. Meaning he will be more susceptible to the "knocked out" and fencing effect for pretty much forever.

This is just data/hypotheses of course since the medical/scientific community are still seemingly learning how CTE/concussions works from person to person since at the moment it does appear there are differences outside of the obvious "yeah you shouldn't be doing this to your brain" conclusion.

There's also the simple idea of no recovery. A damaged brain is not like a bad knee or foot. Taking some time off to "let it heal" doesn't work since there's no healing to be done. Once it's f***ed, it's f***ed for good.

All this in mind, i hope at the absolute minimum Tua spends the rest of the year off the field. Mostly because a decision to retire in your prime is not an easy one by any stretch of the imagination as Mike McDaniel alluded to in his postgame presser. He needs time to hopefully make the right call.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Outside of the obvious variable here (Tua's history) that's kinda just how it is in the NFL in general.

The Jets went into last season with a trash can in Zach Wilson backing up a guy pushing 40. Green Bay had Malik Willis who might be the worst QB in football backing up Love.

Very few teams are lucky enough to have a backup that can step in and at least keep the ship afloat.
You can't ignore the obvious variable of Tua's concussion history. That's the whole point. They have a lot invested in this team money wise and they went into the season with no back up plan given the serious injury history with Tua.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
The Chargers are going to rush for like 300 yards on the Panthers today.

Is Love going to be out half the season and every week he will be a possible to sucker people into going to the game.
Grade 1-2 tear will probably keep him out a few weeks, but half the season would be shocking. I expect him back against the Rams at the latest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad