NFL GDT: Week 2: Groundhog Day for Kirk Cousins

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Ah, but a .10 bet will lose .10. Still worth it?

Maybe. If my wife weren't the money maker in the household, I would bet a lot of money on their being 0-2 after this weekend. The Chargers are going to run it down their throat.

It's sad to see. He seems like a great guy, and the martial arts - learning how to fall story was an inspiring one. Maybe if he had done it after concussion #2, it would have helped.
Saw the replay and just as Tua passes the 9 yard line is when he lowered his head and the contact and momentum takes him to the 7. He's not a regular runner, unlike Russ (in his Seattle days), where he knew where the line of the gain was and thus avoided this big hits.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Saw the replay and just as Tua passes the 9 yard line is when he lowered his head and the contact and momentum takes him to the 7. He's not a regular runner, unlike Russ (in his Seattle days), where he knew where the line of the gain was and thus avoided this big hits.
Saw the same stuff from Levis/Williams in the Titans/Bears game on Sunday. Williams took one hit on a 3&9 and was otherwise wrapped up on a couple of sacks and slid on a few more plays. Meanwhile, Levis took hit after hit after hit, whether it was on sacks, QB runs, or scrambles long after line to gain. Levis is a big man, but at a certain point, attrition sets in, and he'll start to hurt. Even more so if he gets a first concussion.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Ross is not the owner to let a player retire

he'll go after every ounce of guarantee's, and even some already paid out.

not gonna see a colts situation

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
I thought he was the hot up and comer. He has been outcoached tonight. This doesn't look like the same team that put up 70 last year in a game, despite a lot of the same players are back.

It's been a terrible night for the receivers.

for a question of if he was able to play today or not, they have been giving him a lot of work.

It's just a hot take. But this has all the makings of a disaster coupled with how they fell apart late last season.

I don't think Tua is going anywhere in spite of what happened tonight. Not after just signing a new deal.

Reactions: SJSharksfan39

Sexy Necksy Garland

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
These are cool broadcast maps, thanks for sharing 'em. Seems strange there's an isolated market in Oregon showing Chargers-Panthers(?)
I remember during the early '00s, when LA had lost both Raiders & Rams.. there was an astroturfed effort by local radio to adopt the San Diego Chargers.. but nobody was with that.
Could be a prominent Oregonian on one of the teams.

The Justin Herbert effect. Some markets will carry certain teams a lot for various reasons such as Hawaii getting a lot of Dolphins games due to Tua.

Edit: yes, as I thought, its the Eugene market that gets that game. If I recall, last week, Baton Rouge, LA picked up the Bucs/Wash game for Jayden Daniels.
Lol f*** me, just one post later.

• Haha
Reactions: PanthersPens62

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
There have been a lot of bad losses i've seen as a Dolphins fan. Dan Marino's storied career ending in an absolute humiliation at the hands of the Jags in the 99 playoffs. Beating the Patriots in a dramatic game in 2013 to go 8-6 and have control of their destiny, only to lose their last two to the lowly Jets and Bills, the Titans game last year. Getting throttled by the Ravens after a feel good season in 2008.

Tonight somehow felt worse. In yet another game against a team perceived to be good, Miami doesn't just lose, but they completely shit the bed in doing so.

I'm about done with Mike McDaniel's playcalling. Dude is in year 3 of being a head coach and this f***ing guy still hasn't figured out how to adjust, or how to manage the clock (see the end of the game against the Jags last week), or how to have any understanding of game flow. screen passes, quick hitter rhythm based passes that everyone and their grandma have adjusted to. He refuses to lean on the run game when the game is early or they're leading. But he sure as hell will when they're down 10+. Why are you designing shit for Robbie Chosen at all? The wild card game against the Chiefs was what caused me to start doubting him, this game completely eroded the confidence i did have.

As for Tua. Should he probably retire? Yeah. Will he? probably not. At the absolute minimum he needs to be done for 2024.

That's 4 concussions in 2 seasons. 3 of which were bad enough where he was out cold/on his feet. That's not even accounting god knows how many he suffered on the way to the pros.

Even the concussion doesn't distract from the fact he also sucked in a big game. again.

Something about this loss just feels different. Almost like a confirmation that this current iteration of the team isn't going anywhere and will once again, have to start looking for their next, next QB.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I mean, at what point does Tua just retire? This is getting absolutely insane.
This is his 3rd diagnosed concussion, but I think most suspect that sack he took vs Buffalo in 2022 was indeed a concussion, but I don't think it was officially declared one.

Tua has money.

$30.3 mill was his 4 year rookie deal. 5th year option for this season was picked up for $23 mill. He got a $42 mill SB but even if he had to return 80% of it since it was to cover 5 years, he keeps $8.4 mill of it.

So, he would have made like almost $62 mill in his 5 year NFL career so far. That's still life changing money.

He should absolutely sit the next game vs SEA for week 3. I do expect him to play again this season.

I don't blame him for not sliding as he's not a natural runner. You either need a feel for it or practice it in terms of knowing where the line of the gain is so that when you begin your slide, you do so after the line of the gain. Plus, with 3 picks and a pick 6 in the game, he could not afford to come up short on that run. It was 4th down, so when you have the chance to secure the first down, you have to get it, cause if you slide short, how do you command the offence when everyone is getting their body beat up? Tua, IMO doesn't have a good feel for the line of the gain when he runs. Russ, in his SEA days IMO would have been able to avoid contact with Hamlin and secure the 1st down on that play.

Like if you go feet first, is it at the point that you start the slide or when your knee touches?
If you go head first, is it when you begin going down or when your body touches down?

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Saw the same stuff from Levis/Williams in the Titans/Bears game on Sunday. Williams took one hit on a 3&9 and was otherwise wrapped up on a couple of sacks and slid on a few more plays. Meanwhile, Levis took hit after hit after hit, whether it was on sacks, QB runs, or scrambles long after line to gain. Levis is a big man, but at a certain point, attrition sets in, and he'll start to hurt. Even more so if he gets a first concussion.
Levis has a lot of Wentz, Allen, Cam in him. Big guy so he thinks he can keep going and take the hits. But, they all add up. Cam's shoulder got wrecked before he got to a decade in the NFL. Wentz blew out his knee and had a couple of concussions as well. Allen, still takes too many hits. Buffalo never has developed a good enough run game for him to hand it off on 3rd/4th and short.

But all of them got paid. Levis is a 2nd rounder, so his 4 year rookie deal is worth like $6 mill. The others were top 7 draft picks, so got $20 mill on their rookie deals.

Reactions: Romang67

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
This is his 3rd diagnosed concussion, but I think most suspect that sack he took vs Buffalo in 2022 was indeed a concussion, but I don't think it was officially declared one.

Tua has money.

$30.3 mill was his 4 year rookie deal. 5th year option for this season was picked up for $23 mill. He got a $42 mill SB but even if he had to return 80% of it since it was to cover 5 years, he keeps $8.4 mill of it.

So, he would have made like almost $62 mill in his 5 year NFL career so far. That's still life changing money.

He should absolutely sit the next game vs SEA for week 3. I do expect him to play again this season.

I don't blame him for not sliding as he's not a natural runner. You either need a feel for it or practice it in terms of knowing where the line of the gain is so that when you begin your slide, you do so after the line of the gain. Plus, with 3 picks and a pick 6 in the game, he could not afford to come up short on that run. It was 4th down, so when you have the chance to secure the first down, you have to get it, cause if you slide short, how do you command the offence when everyone is getting their body beat up? Tua, IMO doesn't have a good feel for the line of the gain when he runs. Russ, in his SEA days IMO would have been able to avoid contact with Hamlin and secure the 1st down on that play.

Like if you go feet first, is it at the point that you start the slide or when your knee touches?
If you go head first, is it when you begin going down or when your body touches down?
I also expect him to play again this season as well, but I definitely don't think that he should.

It's hard for me to decide whether I blame him or not. He needs to have the awareness of where the line to gain is. Even if he's not usually a runner, that needs to be in his mind. Especially with his concussion issues already, he needs to start sliding.

When a QB (or other player) slides feet first, or gives themselves up, the play is ended where the ball is whenever he initiates the slide. If you go head first, the spot goes to where the ball ends up at the end of forward progress. Tua obviously didn't know it, but he had an easy 1st down and could have slid on the play. Him going head first didn't help his field position in any way.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Sometimes we can forget as fans that the yellow line is only visible on tv. On replay Tua starts to lower his head at pretty much at the 9 yard line which was the first down. Just a play that he needed to know once he hit the 10 to dive forward and got low so that he gets past the 9. But again, he doesn’t seem like a natural at running and going down. But something he needed to work on.

He was having a terrible game with 3 interceptions with a pick 6. Needed to secure the first.

Just shows how much that missed pass in the first down on that set of downs was when Tua missed his receiver going up the seam. Had the TD but missed his receiver by about a foot, off his fully extended body and hands. Tua hits that he’s on the sidelines watching Buffalo on O.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Even allowing for not knowing exactly where the line is, training a guy with head injury problems to try and run past the guy and fall forwards through the shoulder tackle rather than running head into the mofo seems to be a good idea.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Even allowing for not knowing exactly where the line is, training a guy with head injury problems to try and run past the guy and fall forwards through the shoulder tackle rather than running head into the mofo seems to be a good idea.
I agree. Something Tua needed to get better at, as any QB is going to need to scramble to pick up a first down. Can't always slide, not on 3rd down inside your own 40 or on 4th down anywhere. Need to get the 1st down in those situations.

Tua just doesn't seem to possess that combination of vision to see the field when he runs to avoid/minimize contact, sliding (feet or head first to avoid contact but pick up the first down), and feel for the line of the gain.

On replay, he had more room to his left as Hamlin was coming from his right. If he had angled left vs run into Hamlin, he avoids heavy contact. That and getting to the ground.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
So he can get his $124 million if a doctor deems him not fit to continue his career.

Then the Owner and insurance fight between each other

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I agree. Something Tua needed to get better at, as any QB is going to need to scramble to pick up a first down. Can't always slide, not on 3rd down inside your own 40 or on 4th down anywhere. Need to get the 1st down in those situations.

Tua just doesn't seem to possess that combination of vision to see the field when he runs to avoid/minimize contact, sliding (feet or head first to avoid contact but pick up the first down), and feel for the line of the gain.

On replay, he had more room to his left as Hamlin was coming from his right. If he had angled left vs run into Hamlin, he avoids heavy contact. That and getting to the ground.

Scoreboard probably got into his head as well, 31-10 and it was 4th and 4, he probably wanted to truck someone and get his anger off in the game he was having.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Scoreboard probably got into his head as well, 31-10 and it was 4th and 4, he probably wanted to truck someone and get his anger off in the game he was having.
He had also thrown a pick 6 on the prior drive. So, I fully get him wanting to make sure he got the first and not come up short because he slid early and having the refs make a judgement call on when he started the slide.

*Edit: more than scoreboard, I think he felt he owed it to his teammates to make up for the terrible pick six. That was on him. Thus, he couldn't afford to come up short on that 4th down.

But, no way should he think about trucking a guy. He isn't Cam, Allen, Levis, Wentz, Big Ben, etc. Not with his head injury history.

Last edited:
Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
I'm not a Dr and don't know anything.
Tua needs to do what he wants ,it's his life .
Talk to his family .

Tua : Daddy , I'm not sure what to do , I think I need time and the Dr advice before making any decisions. Thanks for listening Daddy.

Josh Allen: That seems like a good approach son.

• Wow
Reactions: PanthersPens62

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
He had also thrown a pick 6 on the prior drive. So, I fully get him wanting to make sure he got the first and not come up short because he slid early and having the refs make a judgement call on when he started the slide.

*Edit: more than scoreboard, I think he felt he owed it to his teammates to make up for the terrible pick six. That was on him. Thus, he couldn't afford to come up short on that 4th down.

But, no way should he think about trucking a guy. He isn't Cam, Allen, Levis, Wentz, Big Ben, etc. Not with his head injury history.

Instincts also kick in. The game is played very fast and it's easy to make a bad decision to ensure you get a 1st down or gain a couple of extra yards in a split second.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad