Buffalo Bills Week 3 -- Buffalo (2-0) vs Jacksonville (0-1). Monday, 9/23 at 7:30 PM ET on ESPN

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Blatantly stealing this spreadsheet from Sal C. that lists the 53-man roster and Practice Squad:

1724894347785.png

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Brought over from the Pegula thread.

Curious if you want to expand on this - I generally disagree but find the debate fascinating.
If an iceberg is one season, maybe the moves hurt us this year, time will tell. Long term, we have cap space to fill holes again and a lot of promising rookies in positions we lost.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Towards the end, Joe talks about Jonathan on the PS and the IPP. Since Jonathan counts, no other team can pluck him off the PS and he gets the 3 standard elevations that other PS guys do.

So, this is gives more context to Casey Toohill making the 53 over Jonathan and reminds me that while Beane doesn't always make decisions that look great in hindsight, he does always have more information than I do when he makes these decisions.

This sure seems like a "chess not checkers" move by Beane that was head scratching to most people when the cuts first came down.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004

Towards the end, Joe talks about Jonathan on the PS and the IPP. Since Jonathan counts, no other team can pluck him off the PS and he gets the 3 standard elevations that other PS guys do.

So, this is gives more context to Casey Toohill making the 53 over Jonathan and reminds me that while Beane doesn't always make decisions that look great in hindsight, he does always have more information than I do when he makes these decisions.

This sure seems like a "chess not checkers" move by Beane that was head scratching to most people when the cuts first came down.

I haven't listened to this, but it sounds like an interesting loophole. As said in the last thread i didn't think Jonathan was eligible because he technically hadn't come through the IPP but I'm not certain about it.

One other point though. Toohill is the #6 EDGE on the roster not including Jonathan. That does seem excessive even for a team that employs a lot of rotation...

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I haven't listened to this, but it sounds like an interesting loophole. As said in the last thread i didn't think Jonathan was eligible because he technically hadn't come through the IPP but I'm not certain about it.

One other point though. Toohill is the #6 EDGE on the roster not including Jonathan. That does seem excessive even for a team that employs a lot of rotation...

Having 6 active DEs on game day is not uncommon for the Bills. And they oftentimes have 6 DEs with 5 active on gameday.

Thank goodness the Bills aren't dealing with this stuff.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004

Love this pickup. Was high on him his draft year and he has a lot of talent, though he clearly busted hard in MIN. They can do much worse as far as dart throw bets on talent go, and at a position of big need.
I was going to post yesterday that Cine is really the only guy available league wide I'd be bothered about pursuing for the PS as opposed to just bringing back our own guys - but reports suggested that he'd already signed elsewhere.

This is a great get. Could be a starter still imo. Injuries and coaching / scheme changes screwed him in Minnesota more than anything else.

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo

Thank goodness the Bills aren't dealing with this stuff.
Between Lamb, Chase, and Aiyuk this summer, I agree. I think it reinforces Beane's current approach to the WR room.

Star WRs are an increasingly expensive (and cranky) luxury in today's pass-heavy, inflated numbers, $50M+ QB NFL. I don't mind us providing Josh with a group of solid, versatile, humble tools to work with - think Brady sans Moss. Plus it's an anti-fragile approach in that one injury to a star WR can't sink your whole plan.

That said, there's no guarantee it works and I don't think Beane is opposed to investing more future draft capital in WR.

Love this pickup. Was high on him his draft year and he has a lot of talent, though he clearly busted hard in MIN. They can do much worse as far as dart throw bets on talent go, and at a position of big need.
Beane seems to be flexing his recruiting muscles between luring Cine and Mike White. It's a nice luxury to be viewed by players as a competitive, stable franchise where their careers can progress.

To me it also partially validates his plan to rip the vet bandaid off and reset the roster this year. We can fill holes by convincing devalued talent to come play under Josh, all while refreshing our cap picture and hopefully staying competitive.

Hopefully McDermott can work some DB whisperer magic with Cine. Injuries have completely derailed his career thus far, but the talent should still be there if he can get a fresh start.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

We were considering an Elam - Cine trade as fans. Now Beane has both.

I like the PS for moves like this. NFL equivalent of a PTO.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I was going to post yesterday that Cine is really the only guy available league wide I'd be bothered about pursuing for the PS as opposed to just bringing back our own guys - but reports suggested that he'd already signed elsewhere.

This is a great get. Could be a starter still imo. Injuries and coaching / scheme changes screwed him in Minnesota more than anything else.
Yeah, and Minnesotta has a weird scheme, about as different from ours as possible. Buffalo much closer to what he did in college

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

I am not surprised given all the reports that BB was calling plays at practices and McD was back to CEO mode.
Smart. McDermott needs to control the overall team. Someone needs to be above the play calling to avoid getting bogged down in the moment. That’s when team’s miss very obvious problems (like the FG block at the end of the Denver game).

May Day 10

Apr 19, 2006
St Catharines, ON
Brought over from the Pegula thread.

Curious if you want to expand on this - I generally disagree but find the debate fascinating.

Mind you, Im not 100% negative about it. I am hopeful things can stay afloat, they can stick the landing, and the next 7 or so years with Josh Allen can bring more championship opportunity. I do like Brandon Beane for the most part, and like McDermott, although he has a stubborn side that makes me nervous.

However, the voice on the other side...

I see the horribly inept Pegula has been as a steward of the Sabres franchise. He has tendencies and preferences that contradict winning (likes "authenticity", values some sort of honesty, the "communication" buzzword). I believe he likes management who treats him like an equal and will entertain (and even act on) his ideas. I have always felt that Bills fans should enjoy it now, because dark times are ahead with this guy. If/when he has his Linda Bogdan moment with Beane/McDermott, we could be in the dark ages for awhile

The Bills had lightning in a bottle all at once. A very athletically gifted, young QB (on a entry deal), and other high-end players and leaders on both sides of the ball: Diggs, Hyde, Poyer, Morse, Edmunds, White, Beazley, etc. as well as other role players who were glue like Lee Smith. Don't forget Brown and Emmanuel Sanders too. So many of them are gone now. They still have a couple in Dawkins, Milano (injured), maybe Oliver, and maybe Gilliam.

I also believe that Brian Daboll and how the offense was run had a lot to do with their success. I subscribe to the theory that things got icey between Daboll and McDermott, and it would have split anyway. Brady now seems like he was more ball-control, run-run-pass like McDermott probably prefers.

I look at the roster now, and outside of QB, it looks worse than most drought-era teams. I look at the athletes most other AFC competitors have amassed, compared to the Bills and it appears like we are seriously out-manned. Fans and media also seem to be putting too much expectation on Dalton Kincaid right now.

And I also wonder if we are going to see a decline in Josh Allen from this point on. He has taken a lot of hits. You can't help but wonder/fear if his passing abilities will sustain enough once his ability to escape, run, and take hits starts to go away, and he will have an arc similar to Cam Newton. You look at the clown car of a receiver room and there is not much support there.

Reactions: Buff15Sabres

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Yeah, and Minnesotta has a weird scheme, about as different from ours as possible. Buffalo much closer to what he did in college
This point might go under the radar, but it's a really good point. Flores is a Belichick guy, and he grew up in a multiple scheme defensive approach where a lot (a lot) is expected from the safeties. He could go from LB to nickel back, to deep safety on any given play. And from any of those spots, he could be in man, zone, man-off, etc. And the zones could be underneath, deep, etc.

McDermott asks a lot of his safeties as well, but more so of the strong safety (Poyer's old position), though Poyer and Hyde were basically interchangeable. Even so, Bills safeties are primarily zone based players who do line up in a variety of positions to disguise the defense, but it's not close to the complexity of what Flores runs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad