Buffalo Bills Week 3 -- Buffalo (2-0) vs Jacksonville (0-1). Monday, 9/23 at 7:30 PM ET on ESPN (CBS Channel 4 in Buffalo)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
He was 3rd in Targets and he was 6th in KC WRs in Targets per Game Played among KC WRs last season.

He was 2nd in snaps per game among KC WRs. But, they had 4 WRs in the 33-40 snaps per game range (Rice, MVA, Moore, and Watson).

He ran a lot of "love of the game" routes to clear out stuff underneath I am guessing.
Sounds a lot like someone in Jacksonville now ? We expect Hollins to do much of this dirty work as well

Last edited:
Reactions: HOOats

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
He was 3rd in Targets and he was 6th in KC WRs in Targets per Game Played among KC WRs last season.

He was 2nd in snaps per game among KC WRs. But, they had 4 WRs in the 33-40 snaps per game range (Rice, MVA, Moore, and Watson).

He ran a lot of "love of the game" routes to clear out stuff underneath I am guessing.
He'll be playing no greater role on this team as he did the last two years on the league's benchmark team. Probably lesser of a role if we're being honest...

Reactions: Sabreality

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
He'll be playing no greater role on this team as he did the last two years on the league's benchmark team. Probably lesser of a role if we're being honest...
And KC's offense was not great for much of the regular season last year and they were carried by their defense for much of the season.

If the Bills struggle this year, WR and DE are two of the position groups that are most likely to be the issue unless injuries create a huge issue elsewhere, like S or LB.

Coach Belts confirmed big Buffalo Joe guy.

Reactions: Dingo44

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Screenshot 2024-08-30 083825.png

I know who will be #1 on McD's big board.

:sarcasm:

May Day 10

Apr 19, 2006
St Catharines, ON
Sincere thanks for following up on that point. I appreciate it. I think WR is the probably the obvious place where you can make a justifiable comparison because of who we lost, and exacerbated the fact that we have precisely zero 'name'/proven guys there. I do think that some of those guys were beneficiaries of scheme w/ Gailey etc to an extent, but there was definite talent there as well (though I was not an especially big Parrish fan).

I think/hope that you'll see some differences after this season in how at least one or two of those guys who have yet to proven will produce. I'm especially bullish on Shakir, who stodd out for me last year because of the elements he brought that we lacked elsewhere in the WR group. Like @Der Jaeger points out the QB contribution can't be overstated.

But even granting the potential WR disparty, the thing I circle back to is the overall roster. This is a roster in transition but there are clear invidual and positional groupings of strength where for most of the drought era it seemed like too much of the roster was making do with what we could and we lacked the organizational cohesiveness to produce the synergy needed to lift up the overall group (apologies for the buzz-wordiness in the last part of that sentance). To me it feels like we're in a much better place as an organization and that gives me some faith.

Hopefully the angel on your shoulder is the smart one!

Ideally, Samuel can be healthy and be a multi-threat guy. Shakir can be a nice Beazley/YAC guy combo. Hollins and MVS provide some catches at times... and Coleman develops over the season and climbs the ladder.

We have Kincaid. Hopefully he can progress to where most fans think/want him to be (a top-3 TE in the NFL). If anything makes me optimistic, its a lot of people seem to be sleeping on Dawson Knox. He broke out, and last year had some sort of hand issue that seemed to hamper him all year. With a well-designed offense with Knox and Kincaid, that could be pretty hard to stop.

Then you have Cook. And Josh Allen.

Reactions: GameMisconduct

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Ideally, Samuel can be healthy and be a multi-threat guy. Shakir can be a nice Beazley/YAC guy combo. Hollins and MVS provide some catches at times... and Coleman develops over the season and climbs the ladder.

We have Kincaid. Hopefully he can progress to where most fans think/want him to be (a top-3 TE in the NFL). If anything makes me optimistic, its a lot of people seem to be sleeping on Dawson Knox. He broke out, and last year had some sort of hand issue that seemed to hamper him all year. With a well-designed offense with Knox and Kincaid, that could be pretty hard to stop.

Then you have Cook. And Josh Allen.
Reminds me a bit of the WR cast we had in 2019. Brown is similar to Samuel, not in style, but in the fact that I believe(d) that both of them had/have another level to their game that wasn't/hasn't been shown due to lack of good QB play. Shakir is like Beasley as you said. Not quite his caliber yet, but maybe in time? Our depth is better than 2019 as well.

The biggest difference is- we have two really good TEs this year and a better RB compared to 2019. Allen is also much better than that year. I think the offense will be great if the O line holds up. Big if, I know. I worry more about the defense. McD and co. should be able to put the clamps down on average-or-worse offenses. Still worried, though.

Buttons85

RJ & Rayzor Fan Club
Jan 31, 2013
Austin, TX
Reminds me a bit of the WR cast we had in 2019. Brown is similar to Samuel, not in style, but in the fact that I believe(d) that both of them had/have another level to their game that wasn't/hasn't been shown due to lack of good QB play. Shakir is like Beasley as you said. Not quite his caliber yet, but maybe in time? Our depth is better than 2019 as well.

The biggest difference is- we have two really good TEs this year and a better RB compared to 2019. Allen is also much better than that year. I think the offense will be great if the O line holds up. Big if, I know. I worry more about the defense. McD and co. should be able to put the clamps down on average-or-worse offenses. Still worried, though.
I think Shakir could be better than Beasley. Beasley did a great job of getting open in the nick of time, but always seemed to be immediately tackled. Shakir, by contrast, could be a YAC monster.

Beasley:
1725030132611.png

Shakir:
1725030173660.png

Way smaller sample size with Shakir, but if he can maintain the 3-5 yard YAC/R advantage over Beasley with increased volume, that's super exciting.

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo

The toughest part of the potential Aiyuk to Buffalo talk was the cap and the money he wanted given Josh Allen's contract and their cap situation now and moving forward.

The second toughest part was projecting how good Aiyuk might be if he had lesser guys around him and if he got a lot larger target% than he has the last two years in the supercharged "everyone eats" offense in SF.

Kincaid isn't Kittle yet.

Cook isn't CMC.

Shakir and Curtis Samuel aren't Deebo Samuel.
Kittle is an excellent all-around TE, but Kincaid is about to become a top 5 receiving weapon at the position this year if he stays healthy.

The NFL doesn't know what's about to hit them.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Kittle is an excellent all-around TE, but Kincaid is about to become a top 5 receiving weapon at the position this year if he stays healthy.

The NFL doesn't know what's about to hit them.
I sure hope that we see that kind of jump for Kincaid.

Kincaid was 8th in targets, 7th in catches, 10th in rec yards, and his 2 TDs was way down the list.

To really be a top 5 TE, he needs to take a huge jump in both yards and TDs. He needs about 900+ yards and 5+ TDs. And it will be interesting to see how many more targets he gets this year after having 91 as a rookie.

Reactions: oldgoalie

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
I think Shakir could be better than Beasley. Beasley did a great job of getting open in the nick of time, but always seemed to be immediately tackled. Shakir, by contrast, could be a YAC monster.

Beasley:
View attachment 904017

Shakir:
View attachment 904018

Way smaller sample size with Shakir, but if he can maintain the 3-5 yard YAC/R advantage over Beasley with increased volume, that's super exciting.

I do like Shakir but I think his comp would be closer to a poor man's Andre Reed than Cole Beasley. Beasley did something better than just about anyone in the NFL from 2019-2021 in that he could get immediate separation over the middle and make a catch at the sticks.

If you asked him to do anything else, he was useless, but he was the best in the league at that very valuable skill for a bit there and he was an All-Pro because of it.

I think Shakir has more versatility, like you suggest, I just don't know if I'd compare the two.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I do like Shakir but I think his comp would be closer to a poor man's Andre Reed than Cole Beasley. Beasley did something better than just about anyone in the NFL from 2019-2021 in that he could get immediate separation over the middle and make a catch at the sticks.

If you asked him to do anything else, he was useless, but he was the best in the league at that very valuable skill for a bit there and he was an All-Pro because of it.

I think Shakir has more versatility, like you suggest, I just don't know if I'd compare the two.
I think Shakir’s comp is Diggs.

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
I think Shakir’s comp is Diggs.
Likely , after some epic gaffes puppeting ( not worse than teacher stefon in my avatar pic) as learns buffalo is difficult if u aren't completely focused.

Learned alot from a great route deceiver in Diggs over 2 years as stefon also trained young corners.

People are trying to quantify our man of the blue field that racked up three seasons at boise 1100 , 700 and 800 rounded down as their likely number one and if anyone wasn't as lazy they could pull the games against pro corners as a one or two.

Below are 4 playoff games Niffle/wwe which i would equate as a bottom. So 16 games is 668 and his college high w a lesser quarterback if healthy for 17 is over 1000. Dont panic, mr Adams best advise on a book. Beane isnt insane. Similar for Kincaid.

The question is. Can cook be thurman thomas and can samuel and hollins be reliable when teams bracket khalil and Kincaid , and punch Cook ( who impressively learned to consistently break tackles) in the mouth ? If Samuel is as reliable as he looked against us. Team harmony awaits. If not.

Josh rushes for a thousand , the amazing story rayhm davis is made into frisco release movie and cook learns to find space and gets 2000 total yards. If Josh baits the league into being a decoy running for 500 inthe first 8 in a 4 and 4 or 6 and 2 start. W healthy young guys learning thr d of mr all pro engineering d, i can't imagine watching will be boring even if we ( pronouns are tells) start 4 n 4 . Oh the gnashing of teeth as i go online to be thankful for online links I'm also too lazy to look for.

YearTeamGamesReceivingFumbles
GPGSRecYdsY/RLngTDFumLost
Career421516611.131200
2022BUF2059118.231000
2023BUF2210757.517200

Last edited:
Reactions: HOOats

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad