News Article: WEEI - Charlie Jacobs says David Backes is Bruins’ third-line center

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
On Tuesday, the CEO may have spilled the beans. Participating in the WEEI/NESN Jimmy Fund radio telethon, Charlie Jacobs used the Bruins’ depth at center — naming Backes and not incumbent third-line pivot Ryan Spooner — as a primary reason as to why he feels the Bruins will be improved this season.

“We’ve got Bergeron, [David] Krejci and Backes as our first three centers. Think about that,†Jacobs said. “I don’t know if there’s a team in the Eastern Conference that is [as] three-deep at center.â€

http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/b...ays-david-backes-is-bruins-third-line-center/

Last edited by a moderator:

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Good. I think he best serves the team there.

Make no mistake about it, the Bruins third and fourth lines killed this team last year ES. Backes, Nash, and even Moore should help stabilize things and puts the aces into places. Bergeron can take less off the heavy lifting load, more offensive zone starts for Krejci, and we insulate Spooner from being overwhelmed at center and move him to the wing ( if he remains a Bruin ).

In the final minutes of the game with a small lead, we can shorten the bench and double up with Backes on the Bergeron line.

Baring a camp surprise from one of the rookies:

Marchand -- Bergeron -- Spooner

Vatrano -- Krejci -- Pasta

Beleskey -- Backes -- Hayes

Schaller -- Moore -- Nash

Heinen, Debrusk ( if he's in Providence ), Griffith and Czarnik will all be on the cusp as callups or riding the pine.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
I don't get it. The Moore signing combined with this comment makes no sense to me. Do they see Spooner as a winger? In the same article, DJ Bean says that the Bruins didn't tell Spooner that he was going to play wing this year. So if not at wing and they're thinking of trading him, you don't come out and say Spooner isn't your 3rd line center and make it seem like Spooner is expendable. I also thought Claude would be happy having two LH centers and two RH centers this season. Is he going to like having 3 RH down the middle? It may not be a big deal to us, but Claude is always fixated about those little details.

The only thing that might make sense out of this from my perspective is that they're trying to raise Krejci's value to whatever team is asking about him by explaining the benefit of having all 3 down the middle, but I think I may be giving Charlie too much credit.

HiyaGeorgii

Apr 6, 2016
Good. I think he best serves the team there.

Make no mistake about it, the Bruins third and fourth lines killed this team last year ES. Backes, Nash, and even Moore should help stabilize things and puts the aces into places. Bergeron can take less off the heavy lifting load, more offensive zone starts for Krejci, and we insulate Spooner from being overwhelmed at center and move him to the wing ( if he remains a Bruin ).

In the final minutes of the game with a small lead, we can shorten the bench and double up with Backes on the Bergeron line.

Baring a camp surprise from one of the rookies:

Marchand -- Bergeron -- Spooner

Vatrano -- Krejci -- Pasta

Beleskey -- Backes -- Hayes

Schaller -- Moore -- Nash

Heinen, Debrusk ( if he's in Providence ), Griffith and Czarnik will all be on the cusp as callups or riding the pine.

That third line is terrible and the slowest line in hockey. They would be traffic cones. That 4th line is also pretty bad.

HiyaGeorgii

Apr 6, 2016
I'm starting to get terrified thinking of Seth Griffith as a top 2 RW after they deal Spooner.

Hilarious how guys like Spooner, Seguin and Koko are going to be cast aside from the center position.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
That third line is terrible and the slowest line in hockey. They would be traffic cones. That 4th line is also pretty bad.

Yep, defensively that should be okay with Backes but I doubt they would do lot of damage offensively.
The C group is getting pretty slow.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Don't see what the big deal is ... it's always been assumed he will play at least some C. And FWIW, I agree with him that Bergeron-Krejci-Backes is arguably the best center depth in the east.

It's not like Ryan Spooner just saw this and was like ... "ahhh #$%, Backes is a Center?!"

riverhawkey91

May 22, 2011
Lowell, MA
On Tuesday, the CEO may have spilled the beans. Participating in the WEEI/NESN Jimmy Fund radio telethon, Charlie Jacobs used the Bruins’ depth at center — naming Backes and not incumbent third-line pivot Ryan Spooner — as a primary reason as to why he feels the Bruins will be improved this season.

“We’ve got Bergeron, [David] Krejci and Backes as our first three centers. Think about that,” Jacobs said. “I don’t know if there’s a team in the Eastern Conference that is [as] three-deep at center.

http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/b...ays-david-backes-is-bruins-third-line-center/

Yeah you know why no one else can say that, Charlie? It's because everyone else knows that having three over-30 6+ mil centers is bad asset management.

I like Backes and am happy to have him on the team, but putting him at 3C is bad utilization. I know the Bruins whole thing is to evenly rotate their three lines, but I just don't see a scenario where they can make that 3rd line good enough to justify playing them as often as Bergeron/Krejci's lines and actually have Backes earn that 6 mil contract. He belongs alongside Bergeron and Marchand, especially if they end up keeping Spooner...let some of the younger guys play on that third line.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Two additional thoughts come to mind:

1. This guy is Fredo fumbling the gun.

2. Better to be thought of a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

ksp1957

Apr 11, 2006
South Shore
Two additional thoughts come to mind:

1. This guy is Fredo fumbling the gun.

2. Better to be thought of a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

3. The amount of talk from Chuckie greatly exceeds the demand.:naughty:

I just get very nervous when a Jacobs starts making speeches about the status of the Bruins.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
He's just talking. I'm sure in March the team will be drastically different.

Hopefully come March 15 they'll be sitting first in division and second in Conference like last year and instead of Seidenberg, Chara, Liles playing like well done turkeys we will have young legs back there like OGara, Carlo, Chiller, Morrow whoever.

As long as we don't go to the 60-70 point Leafs and Oilers and develop a losing culture they should be fine

Jacobs was in a very energetic and emotional setting and I'm guessing Backes will be what Fluto reported a jack of all trades going where he is most helpful that game

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Yeah you know why no one else can say that, Charlie? It's because everyone else knows that having three over-30 6+ mil centers is bad asset management.

I like Backes and am happy to have him on the team, but putting him at 3C is bad utilization. I know the Bruins whole thing is to evenly rotate their three lines, but I just don't see a scenario where they can make that 3rd line good enough to justify playing them as often as Bergeron/Krejci's lines and actually have Backes earn that 6 mil contract. He belongs alongside Bergeron and Marchand, especially if they end up keeping Spooner...let some of the younger guys play on that third line.
Devil's Advocate...

Last season, the Bergeron/Marchand line was great... even without an established RW. Those two made Brett Connolly look decent at times. It's just not a position that you need to spend a lot of money to fill.

Krejci's line more or less held their own.

Spooner's line at even strength was a goddamn Greek Tragedy.

I can't even discuss the 4th line rationally yet.

You could easily make the case that as far as the forward lines go, they made changes where they needed to make changes.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
If Spooner doesn't work out on the wing I'd hope they change it.

Also Krejci has no consistent winger again unless Pasta/Vatrano break out big time. I'm high on Pasta this season, but the poor guy... :laugh:

World of Wardlow

Unscripted Violence
Jul 13, 2006
Montreal
If Backes will be the third line centre, then Spooner needs to be on his wing so they can easily alternate. Unless Hayes builds incredible chemistry with bergeron and marchand, I don't see him playing on any line other than the 4th (unless he's dealt, of course).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad