Website up for a new professional 3-on-3 league, Major League Hockey

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton

So Steve Dangle was partially right?

Tons to unpack here. 16 teams across North America, supposedly starting Fall 2024

Hextallent63

Oct 13, 2011
Wait a second what happened to 3ice? Is this a growth from that or a completely separate entity?

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
30M for 14 players, you can easily overpay a couple of guys at 5M+ per year

Could attract most of the north american players from the European leagues or a few junior guys exploited at 75 $ per week

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
isn't there already a 3 on 3 league?

3ICE which is a summer time touring league which appears to be going on a hiatus this year. Originally I thought each team was marketed being like "Team Ray Bourque" after their head coach but it looks like they tried to identify teams by city at some point. I think the PLL (lacrosse) did the same.

Out of boredom I might watch for a couple minutes while channel surfing but it wasn't particularly great to watch.

We'll see what type of talent MLH can attract especially if they're intending to run during the NHL/AHL/etc season. Not sure how many NHL caliber guys would choose a paycheck over a chance at a Cup. Maybe a few veteran PTO types would go for the guaranteed money, ie the Sam Gagner, Ryan Spooner types.

Just will be tough to attract an audience with NFL/NBA/NHL happening. In theory, I thought spring football could work but the average fan just isn't invested.

Reactions: wetcoast

I am Bettman

May 23, 2022
Would be interesting if the Saudi money attracts legit NHL talent. The issue with these leagues has been that it’s full of has-beens and minor leaguers. Still good hockey, but not enough name recognition to get people to watch. If they grab a couple nhlers then I’ll try it.

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
This is so laughable. First of all, the Saudis invest where there could be a possible windfall return, Golf and Soccer, and maybe they will eventually look at Basketball. There is absolutely no chance of a windfall return with hockey...Secondly, 3 on 3 hockey is fun to watch for 5 minutes in overtime, but a full 60 minutes, I think you would lose most real hockey fans, and you would not gain enough new ones to make up the gap.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
This is so laughable. First of all, the Saudis invest where there could be a possible windfall return, Golf and Soccer, and maybe they will eventually look at Basketball. There is absolutely no chance of a windfall return with hockey...Secondly, 3 on 3 hockey is fun to watch for 5 minutes in overtime, but a full 60 minutes, I think you would lose most real hockey fans, and you would not gain enough new ones to make up the gap.

Imo their best bet is banking on the NHL continuing to go into a low contact no fighting mindset and present themselves as a fast paced rock em sock em alternative. Obviously 3 on 3 won’t have the lunch pail board and net battles 5 on 5 does but there’s a lot more space to load up big open ice hits at speed.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Imo their best bet is banking on the NHL continuing to go into a low contact no fighting mindset and present themselves as a fast paced rock em sock em alternative. Obviously 3 on 3 won’t have the lunch pail board and net battles 5 on 5 does but there’s a lot more space to load up big open ice hits at speed.
Guys aren't gonna go for big open ice hits 3 on 3. The more space there is the harder that is to do. They'd have to go with like some Lethal League ass rules where you're just allowed to beat people to death with your stick or something.

Nogatco Rd

Music Has The Right To Children
Apr 3, 2021

So Steve Dangle was partially right?

Tons to unpack here. 16 teams across North America, supposedly starting Fall 2024
Idk if you could say he’s “partially right” … they have a website and literally nothing else .. I am taking bets if anyone thinks this “league” will start fall 2024/at all

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I'm really rooting for it to work out but I can't pass up posting these:

Is "Bazooka Sharks" already taken?

Reactions: MikeyMike01

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad