We now have 2.6 mil in cap space, what's next?

Forsead

Apr 7, 2009
Québec City
Like who, though?

Setoguchi might be an option. He's known to be physical and can score. Should come cheap, too.

Setoguchi is interesting. Also, there's Penner or Ryan Jones.

In term of depth player there's Westgarth and Barch. If not Ryan White is also available :sarcasm:

A trade could also be an interesting way to go.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
True. Anything under 3M would be insulting and we only have 2.6M left. So we can't offer him a decent amount.

That's really sad.

It is. Cube was the heart and soul of the club. But now we lack the cap space to get into a bidding war with the 29 other teams. Too bad because he could have played beside PK again, and relieved him for the mighty 2nd PP wave. Sigh.

Coldplay

Courage
Aug 21, 2008
Montréal
This. Also, Bourque might be on his natural side next season, so...

Which makes me think... Is Therrien dyslexic ?

Considering he stubbornly played Vanek on the RW, adversely affecting his tendency to shoot the puck and morphing him into a pass-first player, even though he's been a LW his entire career should say enough about Therrien and playing players on their so-called natural sides.

Still boggles the mind, really, how he played Bournival, a leftie, on the LW and Vanek, a righty, on the RW, during the ill-fated Bournival-Plekanec-Vanek experiment.

Analyzer*

In term of depth player there's Westgarth and Barch. If not Ryan White is also available :sarcasm:

Pass on Jones, but forgot about Penner. If he wants back in Canada, I'd take him.

Well, maybe he can't even read. But then again, last time we had an analphabet coach, we won the cup.

I don't believe you wanted that word to become what it became.

Considering he stubbornly played Vanek on the RW, adversely affecting his tendency to shoot the puck and morphing him into a pass-first player, even though he's been a LW his entire career should say enough about Therrien and playing players on their so-called natural sides.

Still boggles the mind, really, how he played Bournival, a leftie, on the LW and Vanek, a righty, on the RW, during the ill-fated Bournival-Plekanec-Vanek experiment.

When asked, Gorges said he plays better on the right side, but he was stuck on the left for long periods of time. Same with Emelin on the right side when he's better on the left. I mean, if there was only some way to get them to play on their natural side...

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Bourque and Moen have a no trade clause.

Moen's NTC expired on July 1st. The bigger issue with Moen is health and whether there are lingering symptoms.

RJJ

Jul 24, 2014
Ottawa
I would like to see Moen and Budaj moved to clear up a lttle more cap space. I like both guys but it is time to move on.

Then all that is left is to sign a cheap tough guy. Yes, times are changing in the NHL. Fighting may be on it's way out but not for several years yet, if ever. I don't want Prust having to do all the fighting again, especially above his weight class. I don't want Tinordi to feel he has to be the heavy weight either.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Yeah, Moen and Budaj need to be moved. That will clear a decent enough of cap space.. Budaj would be pure premium.. Moen would save us about a million as replace him with a league minimum type prospect or just resign Ryan White at league minimum.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
I would like to see Moen and Budaj moved to clear up a lttle more cap space. I like both guys but it is time to move on.

Yeah, Moen and Budaj need to be moved. That will clear a decent enough of cap space..

And... what do we do with that cap space?

Look guys, we won't go into the season with 5M in cap space. Bergevin will make these moves only if he needs the cap space to improve the team.

Ideally get a big, skilled winger, but that's easier said than done.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
Yeah, Moen and Budaj need to be moved. That will clear a decent enough of cap space.. Budaj would be pure premium.. Moen would save us about a million as replace him with a league minimum type prospect or just resign Ryan White at league minimum.

Prefer Moen over White 8 days a week, even with the salary difference.

Pierre Dagenais

pissening
Jan 10, 2007
montreal

Does it really boggle your mind that a coach wants a left-handed player on the left wing and a right-handed player on the right wing?

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

Arizona just signed Dubnyk. That was a real opening there for Budaj. Maybe Columbus put McElhinney to waivers. Dallas has Lindback they just signed but then...Could Budaj be offered to Jersey even if they signed Clemmensen? Maybe Vancouver find a way to get rid of Markstrom and Lack and have Budaj with Miller...Is Hutchinson solid for Winnipeg?

I mean.....who else? I would love for us to move Budaj....but it will be extremely tough. The only way might be....through waivers.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal

Then all that is left is to sign a cheap tough guy. Yes, times are changing in the NHL. Fighting may be on it's way out but not for several years yet, if ever. I don't want Prust having to do all the fighting again, especially above his weight class. I don't want Tinordi to feel he has to be the heavy weight either.

But who as a cheap tough guy? I don't see a UFA who is both able to play enough not to totally expose the team when he's out there and fight enough to be a deterrent. You can have a guy who's willing to lose fights so other people don't have to but it can be a plus for the other team: take a cheap shot, beat up the designated fighter, repeat as wanted. I suppose you can take a tough guy who can't play for the regular season as long as you're sure of making the playoffs but is there anyone better than Parros or White available?

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
But who as a cheap tough guy? I don't see a UFA who is both able to play enough not to totally expose the team when he's out there and fight enough to be a deterrent. You can have a guy who's willing to lose fights so other people don't have to but it can be a plus for the other team: take a cheap shot, beat up the designated fighter, repeat as wanted. I suppose you can take a tough guy who can't play for the regular season as long as you're sure of making the playoffs but is there anyone better than Parros or White available?

Maybe not currently, but teams with more than one of these type of players will need to put them on waivers to send them to the AHL and then maybe you will find one. As an example Toronto will need to send down Orr and Maclaren with so many players under contract and young guys like Holland being waiver eligible if they try and send them down. Not saying I want these specific players, but they will be available as will many others.

Coldplay

Courage
Aug 21, 2008
Montréal
Does it really boggle your mind that a coach wants a left-handed player on the left wing and a right-handed player on the right wing?

When the shooter was confined to his non-side where he was more reluctant to shoot and a spot where he didn't find his success as a player, then yes, it does. There was no trigger man on that line as a result.

Oct 22, 2012
Arizona just signed Dubnyk. That was a real opening there for Budaj. Maybe Columbus put McElhinney to waivers. Dallas has Lindback they just signed but then...Could Budaj be offered to Jersey even if they signed Clemmensen? Maybe Vancouver find a way to get rid of Markstrom and Lack and have Budaj with Miller...Is Hutchinson solid for Winnipeg?

I mean.....who else? I would love for us to move Budaj....but it will be extremely tough. The only way might be....through waivers.

Budaji could absolutely take over the starting position for the Jets.

crazyd

Canada is hockey
Jul 2, 2006
Moen, Budaj, bourque maybe.

Status quo for this season. These 3 will vacate at the end of the season because their cap will be needed for Chucky & Gally. Unless DLR/Sekac is a real beast and pushes Bork out of MTL.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

Setoguchi is a more lazy, inconsistent player than Bourque or Penner could hope to aspire to. He has played on a line with Joe Thornton and still completely disappeared. I wouldn't touch him, though I suppose at near league minimum, it wouldn't be the worst decision. I would rather pick up Penner.

Budaji could absolutely take over the starting position for the Jets.

No, he could not. Pavelec may be bad, but he is still a step above Budaj. There was a reason we played Tosarski in the playoffs over him.

Oct 22, 2012
Setoguchi is a more lazy, inconsistent player than Bourque or Penner could hope to aspire to. He has played on a line with Joe Thornton and still completely disappeared. I wouldn't touch him, though I suppose at near league minimum, it wouldn't be the worst decision. I would rather pick up Penner.

No, he could not. Pavelec may be bad, but he is still a step above Budaj. There was a reason we played Tosarski in the playoffs over him.

Agreed with Setoguchi, not so much with Pavelec. I think they play at a similar level, if Budaji could show some consistency, I believe he could at least split starts there.

He could also be a stopgap while they try to acquire a legit starter, or even build up the prospect pool. Hutchinson has been good for the Ice Caps after Boston didn't tender him an offer, but there's not much else.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
I would pick up Penner, but NEVER a lazy ass like Setoguchi. But even Penner, it would be on a 1 year deal if, and only if, Bourque is traded and Penner signs for less than 3.3 mil..

Roulin

Mar 21, 2007
Montreal
I could see the Devils picking up Budaj. Right now Keith Kincaid seems to be 2nd on the depth chart, but he's never been exceptional in the AHL. New Jersey has the cap space.

If the Devils can replace Brodeur's .901 with ~.910 from Budaj, and Schneider can sustain a high level of play over 60 instead of 43 starts, New Jersey will be have a much better chance of making the playoffs. Even if Schneider played the same number of games last season, if they had a .910 goalie instead of Brodeur, their goals for/against would have gone from 197/208 to 197/199. That's a better differential than Detroit and Washington, the two teams immediately ahead of NJ last season.

They could use Tokarski instead... but with Price's history of a much greater workload than Schneider's, I think the Habs can afford to take a greater risk on an unproven backup in exchange for cap savings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad