Line Combos: We need to make room for Lander and Harti

Brokenhead

Feb 8, 2012
Edmonton, AB
I think we need to be sellers at the deadline but not because I don't think we can make the playoffs, but because I think we actually improve by getting rid of a couple of players.
Jones could get us a 3rd or 4th or maybe go in a package with Whitney or someone else, and I think Harti is better. Harti has better Corsi numbers and I think he just needs some time like Magnus to find his game. Check out this filthy dangle he did in the OKC game today: http://video.oilers.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=4&id=232774

Also, Lander was playing real well before he got hurt and fired in 6 points for OKC tonight. If we can find some sucker to take Belanger, we should do it. Lander is better in every way except faceoffs and Smyth cannot continue to be our 4th line center.

Lets get these two Scandis up here playing asap and clear out the baggage.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Perfect Human*

Hartikainen's not ready yet, but Lander is a definite upgrade on Smyth.

#ualberta
Dec 13, 2010
Edmonton
We have room for lander we can put Belanger on IR and call him up to be our 4th center but coaches decided to keep smyth as our center

I don't think Harti was playing that well before and agreed with the decision to send him down. In my opinion Harti should spend the rest of this year in OKC and come back for next years training camp to challenge for a spot

If Belanger is out for a long time i would like to give lander another shot but at the moment we are playing well so I don't see change coming

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
Jones may get dealt for a 3rd, but that still isn't a guaranty that Hartikainen plays. Lander and Hartikainen should go through the AHL playoffs with expectations to be relied upon. Then come to Edmonton full time next season. There is no rush - let them build there games. We need to be more Detroit-like with these guys. Lander had a great game, but isn't even 0.5 ppg in the AHL. Let him be a leader in OKC.

Belanger is definitely being bought out and Smyth is a fourth liner. Jones and Belanger out and Hartikainen and Lander in next season is probable. You still need depth - let them play out the sting in OKC.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
We have room for lander we can put Belanger on IR and call him up to be our 4th center but coaches decided to keep smyth as our center

I don't think Harti was playing that well before and agreed with the decision to send him down. In my opinion Harti should spend the rest of this year in OKC and come back for next years training camp to challenge for a spot

If Belanger is out for a long time i would like to give lander another shot but at the moment we are playing well so I don't see change coming

If there is anyone who should be moved, it is Belanger.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Prior to Lander's 6 point night tonight he had 13 points in 44 games. Lander's not ready to be a positive contributor at the NHL level yet in his career.

Hartikainen has gotten more than his share of chances this year and has failed time and time again to show anything.

We need to help develop these guys into legit NHL players. Right now they still have a lot to learn, it is best for them and the Oilers that it happens in the AHL. Get back to me when Lander/Hartikainen dominate down there for 10 games. Then maybe you can discuss having to make room for them up here. They aren't even close right now.

The Perfect Human*

Lander with 9 points in 6 games since coming back to OKC.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
We can call both these players up after deadline so it don't matter, but I can see the Oilers leaving them down there for OKC run for playoffs. If there are trades and holes left these 2 will be first called up.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
Lander with 9 points in 6 games since coming back to OKC.
This is not unusal for players to do once back in the minors after spending time inNHL they play at Nhl tempo pace for a while then usually start playing back to slower Ahl play.

knockoutpanda

Oilers Fan
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
I think it is nice to have the depth that these two are working hard and producing in the minors. I would leave them down there to both help OKC into the playoffs and to get more playing time. If we were to call them up they would be fourth to third liners at best but they both have things to work on so having them in OKC is overall better. Hopefully they both push their way into a spot like Magnus did this season.

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Krueger say in a recent interview (friday maybe?) that they were going to put Belanger on the IR and were looking to call someone up this weekend?

Isn't it great that these two guys played in OKC instead of playing 8 minutes up here. If they had called someone up it may well have been VV (even though he's got no business in the NHL) or Eager.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
I'd rather let both players play big minutes with OKC and hopefully play some playoff hockey. Give them every opportunity to make the team in the fall.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
It will be beneficial for these guys to use the opportunity of leading the OKC squad into the playoffs to further their development. Lander's not going to score 6 points a night and Hartikainen still is stone-handed at the NHL level.

The way I see it, the Oilers are currently on a bit of a tear, so why screw with the team chemistry?

I'm all for rewarding success, but let's make sure these guys can keep it up before we're rushing to make roster moves. If they do, they're both shoe-ins to make the roster next season.

UglyStupidAds

Sep 17, 2005
Edmonton
Jones may get dealt for a 3rd, but that still isn't a guaranty that Hartikainen plays. Lander and Hartikainen should go through the AHL playoffs with expectations to be relied upon. Then come to Edmonton full time next season. There is no rush - let them build there games. We need to be more Detroit-like with these guys. Lander had a great game, but isn't even 0.5 ppg in the AHL. Let him be a leader in OKC.

Belanger is definitely being bought out and Smyth is a fourth liner. Jones and Belanger out and Hartikainen and Lander in next season is probable. You still need depth - let them play out the sting in OKC.

This. Hartikainen and especially Lander still need some seasoning down in OKC and it would be great for them to lead a push to the playoffs and maybe even a deep run.

I want to see what this Oilers club does on it's own. I don't see the need to rush our developing players for this year. Even if they Oilers make the playoffs (which is still a big IF in my mind) chances of them making it past the first round are slim. They are building for next year really so let's let that happen at it's own pace.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
They need to get the same treatment Magnus has recieved. The reason he's playing the way he is now is because Kreager told him if he ever wanted to be an NHL'er he'd have to quit being a perimeter player.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
Yeah, let's not rush these guys. No need at the moment and they're doing fine where they are.

Let them win a spot instead of it being handed to them.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Lander was a big-time prospect for us prior to these last few seasons and I think calling him up right now would be a huge mistake. I want to see him put up some points on a consistent basis on Oklahoma before getting the call up. He currently projects as a fourth line centreman - I can't see him getting more minutes unless he steps up the offensive production.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Prior to Lander's 6 point night tonight he had 13 points in 44 games. Lander's not ready to be a positive contributor at the NHL level yet in his career.

Hartikainen has gotten more than his share of chances this year and has failed time and time again to show anything.

We need to help develop these guys into legit NHL players. Right now they still have a lot to learn, it is best for them and the Oilers that it happens in the AHL. Get back to me when Lander/Hartikainen dominate down there for 10 games. Then maybe you can discuss having to make room for them up here. They aren't even close right now.

Lander wasn't playing a prominent role in OKC until recently, that could be a part of the reason why his numbers have taken a spike up recently and i don't think he looked out of place at all in his last NHL stint. He was holding his own in physical battles (even showing some agitator tendencies) and he made a couple of beauty passes as well. I think he's ready pretty soon.

Harti was a disappointment for sure but i still think there's a place for him on this team once Smyth rides off into the sunset.
BTW, did you guys see Harti's goal last night? It was amazing, i never knew he had that kind of skill.

Overall i agree. There's no reason to rush these guys now. They will get their chance next season IMO once Belanger moves on (i think he'll be gone before next season) and a spot opens up for Harti in the bottom 6.

Matt Ryan

Falcons Rise Up
Oct 4, 2011
San Francisco
Lander needs to stay down. If he ever wants to play in the NHL, and not as a fringe player, he needs to develop his offensive talents. The NHL isn't the place to do that, especially for a team desperate to make it into the playoffs.

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
Give Belanger a $500 voucher to go shopping at La Senza so he can update his wardrobe and keep himself busy for a few weeks.

Waste of good air.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Finland
    Austria vs Finland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,377.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Kazakhstan
    Sweden vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 4