We have a sponsor patch now

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Maybe they could invent a gambling patch that gives the endorphins without having to have the gambling. That was a joke, a nicotine patch tie in.

This could be a big seller. I'd bet on it. hehe

This post is strangely on topic in the thread.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yes I stand by this the media should be asking about what this shows. What's the problem with that exaclty?

I never forget some people will look the other way for absolutely anything players do. It was embarrassing enough mcdavid is the face of sports gambling and now the team has a patch on each jersey? 100% he should be asked by the media about this.

What's next BET99 Centre ice with the Oilers logo superimposed?

Maybe it is moral high ground. A lot of little boys look up to these men and now they're making gambling endorsements their side business.
And like I asked you how can the media ask those questions when their companies have the same advertisement? It'll just get spun back to the person asking the question why do they work for a place that has the same sponsors if they are that worried about the Oilers having it.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
I told you what the problem was - twice. But as usual you choose to not absorb what you read when you jump off your morality cliff and into the middle of a thread.

If you find it wrong that the Oilers chose a gambling sponsor that’s your opinion - full stop. If you’re so embarrassed by McDavid and by extension the Oilers then perhaps end your fan relationship with them. Otherwise you’ve made your point and enlightened us with yet another morality speech.

You want the sports media - sponsored heavily by sports gambling - to ask McDavid how he feels about a sponsor which he had zero choice over making. Makes zero sense.

Hopefully those little boys you are so worried about have parents with a brain that can teach them about the risks of gambling and other vices. Good parenting along with a hard won life lesson or two along the way usually is better than the morality police.

And if you’re so worried about public morality you can always move to Iran. They don’t allow any vices so you’re pretty safe over there.
I said I hope the media asks about this. Not the rishaug Matheson tier jock sniffers. We do have a press in this country. It's not "Iran".

So where is the globe and mail or financial post holding mcdavids feet to the fire? Or even bettmans? Do you think the globe and mail is controlled by a deep state cabal of gambling corporations?

It actually has nothing to do with "hopefully they have parents". The underlying issue is boys brains are not fully developed until 25 years of age. Karl Subban, a former principal has spoken about this and the need to remove gambling ads from TV.

Hopefully he's successful. It is still a free country and you're able to criticize and support causes. If you don't like what other people are saying about the problems with gambling perhaps you should be on that next flight to Tehran.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I said I hope the media asks about this. Not the rishaug Matheson tier jock sniffers. We do have a press in this country. It's not "Iran".

So where is the globe and mail or financial post holding mcdavids feet to the fire? Or even bettmans? Do you think the globe and mail is controlled by a deep state cabal of gambling corporations?

It actually has nothing to do with "hopefully they have parents". The underlying issue is boys brains are not fully developed until 25 years of age. Karl Subban, a former principal has spoken about this and the need to remove gambling ads from TV.

Hopefully he's successful. It is still a free country and you're able to criticize and support causes. If you don't like what other people are saying about the problems with gambling perhaps you should be on that next flight to Tehran.

No, you said and I quote; “Naturally our gutless media doesn't ask any questions about it to the players and especially Connor who is a brand ambassador for gambling.”

Yea its a free country, your free to make your opinion known which you have done. But you want more than to state your opinion. You want a media crackdown.

You expect the “media” to “hold McDavids feet to the fire”. Whatever that means. Because your opinion means more than anyone else’s.

The cool thing with boys and their lack of brain development till age 25 is that it makes for hilarious YouTube content.

The rest of your post is your usual incoherent rambling on yet another morality crusade.

Reactions: oilers'72

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
No, you said and I quote; “Naturally our gutless media doesn't ask any questions about it to the players and especially Connor who is a brand ambassador for gambling.”

Yea its a free country, your free to make your opinion known which you have done. But you want more than to state your opinion. You want a media crackdown.

You expect the “media” to “hold McDavids feet to the fire”. Whatever that means. Because your opinion means more than anyone else’s.

The cool thing with boys and their lack of brain development till age 25 is that it makes for hilarious YouTube content.

The rest of your post is your usual incoherent rambling on yet another morality crusade.
Yes naturally our gutless media doesn't ask any questions. Where are the questions on this? This is more than a sports story. Why is the most famous athlete in Canada encouraging young men to gamble? I don't know what kind of "gotcha" you think you have. The media should do its job but naturally nothing is done here.

You clearly don't know what the term media crackdown means. I'm referring to the opposite and having the media do their job. Nothing about government intervening on the media.

Lebron or ohtani would never do this knowing full well the media and hell even the politicians would be all over them. Same people wonder "why isn't hockey more popular in the US?"

You may find it funny to see young men with their lives ruined on YouTube etc but it has taken a toll on them and their families no doubt. Some people will look the other way for anything of so and so hockey player is scoring goals.

This entire thing is ironic as the Oilers literally have a player who had his life ruined because of his gambling addiction and gets taunted by opposing players because of it.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
And like I asked you how can the media ask those questions when their companies have the same advertisement? It'll just get spun back to the person asking the question why do they work for a place that has the same sponsors if they are that worried about the Oilers having it.
It's a big club and the fans aren't part of it. They want obedient followers just smart enough to pay for it all.

Reactions: harpoon

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Yes naturally our gutless media doesn't ask any questions. Where are the questions on this? This is more than a sports story. Why is the most famous athlete in Canada encouraging young men to gamble? I don't know what kind of "gotcha" you think you have. The media should do its job but naturally nothing is done here.

You clearly don't know what the term media crackdown means. I'm referring to the opposite and having the media do their job. Nothing about government intervening on the media.

Lebron or ohtani would never do this knowing full well the media and hell even the politicians would be all over them. Same people wonder "why isn't hockey more popular in the US?"

You may find it funny to see young men with their lives ruined on YouTube etc but it has taken a toll on them and their families no doubt. Some people will look the other way for anything of so and so hockey player is scoring goals.

This entire thing is ironic as the Oilers literally have a player who had his life ruined because of his gambling addiction and gets taunted by opposing players because of it.

You detest legal gambling so much that you feel the media are not “doing their jobs” (whatever that means and you still haven’t defined it) by asking what Connor McDavid ‘s opinion is of a sponsor the Oilers have over which he had no control over deciding.

You detest legal gambling so much (which is your right) that you feel McDavid having MGM as a sponsor is detrimental to “young boys under 25 with underdeveloped brains” and that the media should be “calling him out” for this.

You don’t understand that many tens if not hundreds of other athletes along with every sports media enterprise and virtually every professional team on the planet endorses legal sports gambling sites but because 2 athletes who you put on an a pedestal do not that Connor McDavid should not either.

Furthermore in your deluded totalitarian mind state feel that politicians ie the government would be “all over them” - again another wide net cast without clear definition.

And now you believe hockey is not as popular as other sports in the US is because of the recent surge in sports gambling and Connor McDavids MGM sponsor - while ignoring the obvious relationships every pro sports organization with legalized gambling and that the NFL built an empire on the back of legal sports gambling over the last 4 decade.

You do not seem to understand that gambling is legal and that boys (and girls) between the underdeveloped brain ages of 18 and 25 can also legally:

1 Vote
2 Drive
3 Drink
4 Smoke
5 Do soft drugs
6 Join the military
7 Be sent to war
8 Own a gun
9 Be held Criminally responsible for their actions
10 Make all of their own choices

Which is why parenting along with learned life lessons is far far more important than what commercials Connor McDavid makes or what patch the Edmonton Oilers wear.

And yes watching Fail Army and the plethora of dumb young underdeveloped brain men trying to jump a bike across pond and girls trying to dance on a 3 legged table while drunk and wearing high heels is tremendously funny. We were all young and dumb once and these videos bring me to my underdeveloped brain (dead) years of my own. Thank God there was no YouTube back then or I would have been f***ed.

Who had his life ruined on the Oilers? The guy on a 25 million dollar contract? Sure he certainly f***ed up and it cost him a shit ton of money but he seems pretty well adjusted now - perhaps life lessons have now been learned. In fact it’s the same guy who said he doesn’t give a f*** what McDavid does in his spare time. So I assume that means gambling - if he even does it.

It seems to me like your virtue signalling your digital outrage (yet again) and won’t stop because HF Oil has become your personal morality pulpit.

You really should grab a plane to Iran before they are all banned from western skies. You’d fit right in with the no fun Mullah’s over there with all your autocratic and dictatorial bleating to “hold McDavids feet to the fire”, “media doing their jobs” and “politicians being all over them”

In closing, and the last I’ll discuss with you on this as it’s like talking to a f***ing brick - which is an insult to bricks - why don’t you f*** off and welcome to my ignore list. I should have put you on it after your last 87 posts in a different thread but I’m a slow learner.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Do you think the moral difference between Ohtani/Lebron and McDavid regarding gambling is even in the top 100 reasons why hockey is less popular than baseball or basketball?

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
You detest legal gambling so much that you feel the media are not “doing their jobs” (whatever that means and you still haven’t defined it) by asking what Connor McDavid ‘s opinion is of a sponsor the Oilers have over which he had no control over deciding.

You detest legal gambling so much (which is your right) that you feel McDavid having MGM as a sponsor is detrimental to “young boys under 25 with underdeveloped brains” and that the media should be “calling him out” for this.

You don’t understand that many tens if not hundreds of other athletes along with every sports media enterprise and virtually every professional team on the planet endorses legal sports gambling sites but because 2 athletes who you put on an a pedestal do not that Connor McDavid should not either.

Furthermore in your deluded totalitarian mind state feel that politicians ie the government would be “all over them” - again another wide net cast without clear definition.

And now you believe hockey is not as popular as other sports in the US is because of the recent surge in sports gambling and Connor McDavids MGM sponsor - while ignoring the obvious relationships every pro sports organization with legalized gambling and that the NFL built an empire on the back of legal sports gambling over the last 4 decade.

You do not seem to understand that gambling is legal and that boys (and girls) between the underdeveloped brain ages of 18 and 25 can also legally:

1 Vote
2 Drive
3 Drink
4 Smoke
5 Do soft drugs
6 Join the military
7 Be sent to war
8 Own a gun

Which is why parenting along with learned life lessons is far far more important than what commercials Connor McDavid makes or what patch the Edmonton Oilers wear.

And yes watching Fail Army and the plethora of dumb young underdeveloped brain men trying to jump a bike across pond and girls trying to dance on a 3 legged table while drunk and wearing high heels is tremendously funny. We were all young and dumb once and these videos bring me to my underdeveloped brain (dead) years of my own. Thank God there was no YouTube back then or I would have been f***ed.

Who had his life ruined on the Oilers? The guy on a 25 million dollar contract? Sure he certainly f***ed up and it cost him a shit ton of money but he seems pretty well adjusted now - perhaps life lessons have now been learned. In fact it’s the same guy who said he doesn’t give a f*** what McDavid does in his spare time. So I assume that means gambling - if he even does it.

It seems to me like your virtue signalling your digital outrage (yet again) and won’t stop because HF Oil has become your personal morality pulpit.

You really should grab a plane to Iran before they are all banned from western skies. You’d fit right in with the no fun Mullah’s over there with all your autocratic and dictatorial bleating to “hold McDavids feet to the fire”, “media doing their jobs” and “politicians being all over them”

In closing, and the last I’ll discuss with you on this as it’s like talking to a f***ing brick - which is an insult to bricks - why don’t you f*** off and welcome to my ignore list. I should have put you on it after your last 87 posts in a different thread but I’m a slow learner.
I’m betting he doesn’t respond to this post.

:)

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Takes me about 3 months to even realize who ads are actually for nowadays. Then another month or two to wonder what the heck is that company. Car insurance, diabetic medication, pole stiffener etc...

I zone out so much during commercials when sports are on.

Couldn't tell you one commercial from Sunday and I watched football all day.
I too have ad blindness.

However, I watch hockey on Apple TV via rogers + and it's all the same 4 commericals. I tune out, but I definitely notice the same 4 gambling ads and get sick of it very quickly.

Reactions: oilers'72

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I too have ad blindness.

However, I watch hockey on Apple TV via rogers + and it's all the same 4 commericals. I tune out, but I definitely notice the same 4 gambling ads and get sick of it very quickly.
Usually once I realize what a commercial is for I tend to boycott those places as now the stupid thing is stuck in my head.

DethOfDragnz

Sep 22, 2010
Edmonton, AB
I am very close to boycotting the NHL. You hear some people say they are boycotting the NHL like during the lockout then everyone came back when the NHL came back. I am not everyone. I use to love prowrestling. I was a big fan from the time I was a kid up until my 20s. When WCW closed down I knew it was the end. A few years after that all my favorites were gone and the show was God awful. So terrible I was questioning why I watched it anymore and quit watching somewhere in 2004. I loved Star Wars like many people do. When Disney bought it I thought it would be the death of Star Wars and I was right. Almost all the content Star Wars related by Disney has sucked and I quit watching it and I no longer care about anything Star Wars. The NHL is getting close to that line of no return. They could have put ads on the jerseys at anytime in their history but in the past they respected the fans and the uniform. The NHL uniform was suppose to be sacred. I remember jersey being thrown on the ice in Toronto in Edmonton, and how mad or upset owners of franchises would be because the jersey was sacred. Not anymore now it's just another billboard for their stooge fans. The electronic boards, the ads on helmets and jerseys where is it going to end? you'd think being worth 41 billion dollars they could give something to the fans like no ads on helmets and jerseys but no they don't care about their fans. We're just suckers to hand over our paychecks to them and soon it will blow up in the NHLs face.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Do you think the moral difference between Ohtani/Lebron and McDavid regarding gambling is even in the top 100 reasons why hockey is less popular than baseball or basketball?
Exclusively, no. It sure doesn't help the league is inherently stupid having their marquee player hawk gambling. Lebron James would never do this.

It speaks volumes that these commercials have devolved into "here are the tools you can use to fight a gambling addiction, but you know please still gamble."

I mean what happens if tomorrow some betting company offers evander 3 million a year to be an ambassador?

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023

1 Vote
2 Drive
3 Drink
4 Smoke
5 Do soft drugs
6 Join the military
7 Be sent to war
8 Own a gun

Some people will look the other way for literally anything. You're clearly an example of this. No if someone is critical of a famous athlete little children look up to endorsing gambling you don't need to be deported to Iran. I'm sorry you did so many stupid things in your youth and you're happy there is no YouTube during those days. At the same time you insist "if only those kids had good parents they wouldnt do these things".

It is 100% an issue that a lot of people are talking about and the best player in the league being the front man for gambling when no other sport in North America has someone similar doing it is beyond embarrassing.

I put this on Bettman as much as mcdavid at this point. Very stupid league making another dumb decision in a line of dumb decisions.

And no he doesn't get a pass just because he's Connor mcdavid. I look forward to him finally getting called out on pushing gambling - it will eventually happen.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Some people will look the other way for literally anything. You're clearly an example of this. No if someone is critical of a famous athlete little children look up to endorsing gambling you don't need to be deported to Iran. I'm sorry you did so many stupid things in your youth and you're happy there is no YouTube during those days. At the same time you insist "if only those kids had good parents they wouldnt do these things".

It is 100% an issue that a lot of people are talking about and the best player in the league being the front man for gambling when no other sport in North America has someone similar doing it is beyond embarrassing.

I put this on Bettman as much as mcdavid at this point. Very stupid league making another dumb decision in a line of dumb decisions.

And no he doesn't get a pass just because he's Connor mcdavid. I look forward to him finally getting called out on pushing gambling - it will eventually happen.

Or some people are ridiculous virtue signallers who think the world should revolve around their outlarged sensibilities. Forgot to hit the ignore button. Done now.

Piss off back to your Flames or Canucks forum asshole. Your nothing but a shitbag troll.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
There's been a wide spread huge marketing effort to pivot away from gambling as a vice to entertainment. For most adults this might be a manageable reality but for others it is a death sentence which has catastrophic effects on a person's well-being, health, relationships, and financial security.

It's also big business. For governments it creates a new revenue stream moving money out of black markets or in operating their own gaming operations. Sports teams and pro athletes it delivers a huge revenue stream through marketing dollars with sponsorships, celebrity endorsements, and I read a EU study that reinforced it increases audience eyeballs with the diverse lines of in-game betting options made. There is compelling business alignment and profitability for pro sports teams and gambling to 'do business'.

The Oilers jersey patch is their choice and as a profit centred big big business this sports big business operation is overturning every stone to maximize their profits. Within their right including the relocation threat once levelled. Unfortunate reality is the gambling advertising unlike other vice products or services is not regulated to be seen or exposed only to adult audiences. The jersey patch and McDavid/Gretzky' gambling celebrity endorsements are mass marketing campaigns that include impressionable children and teens.

Now some studies suggest the largest at-risk audience for problem gambling is males age 18-34 which not coincidentally is a prime target audience for sports entertainment (Harm from problem gambling in Great Britain ‘may be eight times higher than thought’). An example of the consequences of sports gambling: How prepared is Europe for an increase in gambling and addiction?

The Oilers are a highly visible, uniquely positioned big business that has significant and deeply unbridled brand loyalty that cuts across all ages, demographics, education, and income strata. They've leveraged this powerful customer loyalty to build a highly public subsidized hockey rink and set their ticket pricing and ancillary services under monopolistic conditions among the highest in their league. It's a brand that matters in Edmonton and their relationships are observed and to some extent consumed by most of the population.

Regarding the jersey patch, I get it from the business side. But I do think they could have chosen a different brand partner that reflects better on their visible status and influence in their city and beyond. For one instance, the milquetoast Leafs have something with "Got Milk."

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
There's been a wide spread huge marketing effort to pivot away from gambling as a vice to entertainment. For most adults this might be a manageable reality but for others it is a death sentence which has catastrophic effects on a person's well-being, health, relationships, and financial security.

It's also big business. For governments it creates a new revenue stream moving money out of black markets or in operating their own gaming operations. Sports teams and pro athletes it delivers a huge revenue stream through marketing dollars with sponsorships, celebrity endorsements, and I read a EU study that reinforced it increases audience eyeballs with the diverse lines of in-game betting options made. There is compelling business alignment and profitability for pro sports teams and gambling to 'do business'.

The Oilers jersey patch is their choice and as a profit centred big big business this sports big business operation is overturning every stone to maximize their profits. Within their right including the relocation threat once levelled. Unfortunate reality is the gambling advertising unlike other vice products or services is not regulated to be seen or exposed only to adult audiences. The jersey patch and McDavid/Gretzky' gambling celebrity endorsements are mass marketing campaigns that include impressionable children and teens.

Now some studies suggest the largest at-risk audience for problem gambling is males age 18-34 which not coincidentally is a prime target audience for sports entertainment (Harm from problem gambling in Great Britain ‘may be eight times higher than thought’). An example of the consequences of sports gambling: How prepared is Europe for an increase in gambling and addiction?

The Oilers are a highly visible, uniquely positioned big business that has significant and deeply unbridled brand loyalty that cuts across all ages, demographics, education, and income strata. They've leveraged this powerful customer loyalty to build a highly public subsidized hockey rink and set their ticket pricing and ancillary services under monopolistic conditions among the highest in their league. It's a brand that matters in Edmonton and their relationships are observed and to some extent consumed by most of the population.

Regarding the jersey patch, I get it from the business side. But I do think they could have chosen a different brand partner that reflects better on their visible status and influence in their city and beyond. For one instance, the milquetoast Leafs have something with "Got Milk."

I’m not defending gambling (I don’t gamble) or the gambling sites and hate the jersey and helmet ads, but I don’t care who is the sponsor and don’t think it matters one iota so long as it’s legal. I just don’t think it’s their job to be the morality police. Turning away a major sponsor like Play Alberta is bad for business.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I’m not defending gambling (I don’t gamble) or the gambling sites and hate the jersey and helmet ads, but I don’t care who is the sponsor and don’t think it matters one iota so long as it’s legal. I just don’t think it’s their job to be the morality police. Turning away a major sponsor like Play Alberta is bad for business.
I don't dispute your point. Honestly I didn't look closing into the postings on this thread ... it looked like you were arguing into the clouds haha as I couldn't see the other parties comments. I enjoy your posts and respect the thought that goes into them.

The gamble situation is legal. Ethically might be a question for some in that there can be serious life altering implications for a portion of society exposed to gaming. Mainstreaming gambling and mass marketing association with beloved corporate brands sweeps away some of the (earned) stigma around it.

I don't know what prospective corporate sponsorship options were on the table for the jersey advertisement so I don't know if there was a 'better' option available to them. But I will say managing your brand, its reputation and alignment with other corporates with shared values is important. One can't control the actions of external partners and their negative actions can blowback on your company (Enron and other stuff). Sports Entertainment businesses though largely live with halo effect with their customers and stakeholders, whether deserved or not, unlike traditional big business. The Leafs jersey partner is from my pov a more positive, strategic brand alignment that resonates without alienating prospective segments of one's business.

Agree, it's ultimately their choice to do. Though I think it worth some dialogue about the bigger picture which I figured I'd stick my nose into! ;)

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I don't dispute your point. Honestly I didn't look closing into the postings on this thread ... it looked like you were arguing into the clouds haha as I couldn't see the other parties comments. I enjoy your posts and respect the thought that goes into them.

The gamble situation is legal. Ethically might be a question for some in that there can be serious life altering implications for a portion of society exposed to gaming. Mainstreaming gambling and mass marketing association with beloved corporate brands sweeps away some of the (earned) stigma around it.

I don't know what prospective corporate sponsorship options were on the table for the jersey advertisement so I don't know if there was a 'better' option available to them. But I will say managing your brand, its reputation and alignment with other corporates with shared values is important. One can't control the actions of external partners and their negative actions can blowback on your company (Enron and other stuff). Sports Entertainment businesses though largely live with halo effect with their customers and stakeholders, whether deserved or not, unlike traditional big business. The Leafs jersey partner is from my pov a more positive, strategic brand alignment that resonates without alienating prospective segments of one's business.

Agree, it's ultimately their choice to do. Though I think it worth some dialogue about the bigger picture which I figured I'd stick my nose into! ;)

I guess the troll from down south got the punt (hoorah!)

I get what you’re saying. The pervasive sports gambling commercials have viewers over saturated and it is a vice that has addictive qualities.

However the government let that genie out of the bottle and it’s not going back. So now regulation and government oversight are required and along with the sports gambling industry there is a clear responsibility to provide the necessary social backstops to help those hurt by the product.

Like booze advertising and seeing a cannabis shop on every street corner now, vice is on the menu as the tax dollars are too great for Big Brother to ignore.

Not upset with the conversation as you always bring rational and measured discussion.

Cheers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad