We have a sponsor patch now

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
Writing was on the wall for this to happen sooner or later.

Just generally disappointed the NHL went this way, but not surprised in the least.

They wouldn't ignore a potential revenue stream like this forever, and as someone said it's a slippery slope. Started with the helmets, now this.

Sooner or later uniforms will look like notice boards.

Reactions: oilers'72

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
So everybody hates this, hates the messsage, hates the patch, that its about gambling and it represents all thats wrong with sports being connected with vice and yet this is what they go out and do.

Is this still capitalism? Our customers wants and desires now completely ignored and taken for granted. Yes, I know the answer is yes. The customer is always wrong, apparently...

The boat sailed at Ticketmaster people. That was the message to stop paying so much, and extra gouging fees for any entertainment. Every drop of enjoyment getting sucked out of sports and entertainment, all ruled by money, all ruled by monopoly like Ticketmaster when not in bed with gambling.

I refuse to pay for any of this and encourage others to follow suit if they want.

AlanHUK

5-14-6-1
Nov 27, 2010
Nottingham, England
the only positive of it is it's saving me a few hundred dollars, because I refuse to buy any sports jersey with a sponsor.

The team gets paid for the advertising that it's fans doing, you'll be seeing thousands of playalberta logos around now and it will have a subconscious impact of normalising seeing gambling everywhere.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Absolutely disgusting. An abomination for the franchise.

The NHL is disgusting. After decades of being a "white only" League that tolerated homophobia and racism in the locker-rooms and on the ice, it abruptly pivoted to trying to be politically correct and culturally sensitive about eight years ago (not a bad move of course, if 20 years overdue). So, now, the new messages the NHL sends kids / fans is this:

-- Hockey is for everyone
-- GAMBLE, GAMBLE, GAMBLE!
-- The LGBTQ++ community is a part of hockey
-- Hockey fights cancer and supports charities

Yet more disgusting is how the League somehow got superstar players to appear in gambling ads.

I was pleased a couple of years ago when McDavid proudly wore his rainbow-colored practice jersey (or whatever it was), showing support to one non-traditional hockey group. But the gambling ads thing is beyond the pale, and stretched my own tolerance to breaking point. Perhaps the only reason I haven't abandoned Oiler / NHL fandom is because I live overseas and only watch games on NHL.TV (on which I skip the commercials).

But this?? I think it's pushed me over the edge. Ads on the sacred jersey is just an absolute non-starter for me. And then to make it a gambling ad...???

I arrived in Alberta yesterday for the first time in two years. I was thinking to buy my 6-year-old an Oilers' jersey (I'll briefly be in Edmonton on Thursday). That plan is now permanently cancelled, and I will certainly not be giving the NHL / Oilers any money under these conditions. Thus, I'm also now debating whether to cancel my very cheap NHL.TV membership, just to deny the NHL the cash.

Disgusting in the extreme.

And, like, has NO player spoken up against this?? Do any of them actually have a backbone, or an opinion, or...?

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
I don't know how beneficial this type of advertising is anymore from a company perspective. People like me will just never gamble and a patch won't work.

What I do find troubling is my boys (who this is targeted towards) ask me things like what does "high line mean? What are odds? So you can win money?"

They know exactly what they're doing and who they're targeting. No 35 year old is going to "play Alberta" because of a patch if they don't already gamble. It's to ruin the lives of a new group of young men.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
If this raises the cap enough that we get to keep the boys and improve though to go on a run, I'm not even mad.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
So everybody hates this, hates the messsage, hates the patch, that its about gambling and it represents all thats wrong with sports being connected with vice and yet this is what they go out and do.

Is this still capitalism? Our customers wants and desires now completely ignored and taken for granted. Yes, I know the answer is yes. The customer is always wrong, apparently...

The boat sailed at Ticketmaster people. That was the message to stop paying so much, and extra gouging fees for any entertainment. Every drop of enjoyment getting sucked out of sports and entertainment, all ruled by money, all ruled by monopoly like Ticketmaster when not in bed with gambling.

I refuse to pay for any of this and encourage others to follow suit if they want.
It outlines the negatives of capitalism, that's for sure.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I don't know how beneficial this type of advertising is anymore from a company perspective. People like me will just never gamble and a patch won't work.

What I do find troubling is my boys (who this is targeted towards) ask me things like what does "high line mean? What are odds? So you can win money?"

They know exactly what they're doing and who they're targeting. No 35 year old is going to "play Alberta" because of a patch if they don't already gamble. It's to ruin the lives of a new group of young men.
And their approach is right out of the big tobacco playbook.

We all know how that worked out.

Reactions: Pavel10

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I just hope the Oilers win the cup before the NHL superimposes digital ads all over the ice like they did with the boards.
Its worse in the CFL cheap graphics department where adds and line graphics are often superimposed over the players on the field. Thats some hard shit to follow. Like watching games on Acid...

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
All this ads to the cap so why is everyone so upset about it
1) Visual jersey pollution and added to the on surface on boards add pollution. Watch Premiership football to see where this kind of thing is headed.

2) People upset, rightly at the absolute social problems that gambling leads to and upset about the nonstop gambling promotion, adds, constant even during telecast, and have had enough with it.

3)The banner is fugly as most of them are with no thought whatsoever to how they look or blend with jersey colors, design etc. The dislike for these is as close to universal as it gets.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
They should have gone with Dirty Bird Fried Chicken or the Junior Jazz Dance Class Company.

Both have eye catching logos.

IMG_6748.jpeg

IMG_6749.jpeg

ConnorNova0929

Feb 25, 2023
More HRR is great if the cap goes up during the McDrai cup window. Make the coaches wear a sandwich board advertising Subway.

Reactions: oilers'72

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
the only positive of it is it's saving me a few hundred dollars, because I refuse to buy any sports jersey with a sponsor.

The team gets paid for the advertising that it's fans doing, you'll be seeing thousands of playalberta logos around now and it will have a subconscious impact of normalising seeing gambling everywhere.
Jerseys you buy usually dont come with sponsor logo's.

They should have gone with Dirty Bird Fried Chicken or the Junior Jazz Dance Class Company.

Both have eye catching logos.

View attachment 906313

View attachment 906314
We dont have enough 3rd round picks to give to Calgary if we put those on the jersey.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Naturally our gutless media doesn't ask any questions about it to the players and especially Connor who is a brand ambassador for gambling.

• Haha
Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad