We have a GM problem

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Is KD right man for the job

• Yes he is doing great job

Votes: 26 28.0%
  • Meh lets wait and see

Votes: 44 47.3%
  • I am starting to be alarmed

Votes: 15 16.1%
  • fire this dipshit into the sun

Votes: 8 8.6%

• Total voters

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
He hasn't done anything good or bad that somebody from the concession stand couldn't have replicated given all the time, space, and resources he's had. It's Danny's rebuild more than any hockey exec until they start making hard decisions.

I picked the last option because I haven't thought of any hockey ops suit being launched into the sun. really appreciated that choice as an option. "meh" is where I really put him.

Cardboard so far.

Reactions: BHFAN92

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
WTF is this talk of trading an unprotected '25 1st plus another pick for #4 and Demidov? If that is even remotely true, I am actually scared of Davidson. Only way that makes any sense is we have ducks lined up in free agency through agent back channels and know we are somehow getting several high end guys....but even the biggest wet dream free agency fantasy has us at a playoff fringe team at best

Reactions: BHFAN92

BHFAN92

Jan 21, 2016
Mid-West
WTF is this talk of trading an unprotected '25 1st plus another pick for #4 and Demidov? If that is even remotely true, I am actually scared of Davidson. Only way that makes any sense is we have ducks lined up in free agency through agent back channels and know we are somehow getting several high end guys....but even the biggest wet dream free agency fantasy has us at a playoff fringe team at best
this 100% this..there doesn't seem to be rhyme or reason to KD..one minute its let tear it all down and rebuild, then its well last seasons results were unacceptable, then its over drafting guys and trading picks he acquires like candy just wasting assets. Look I get a rebuild takes time and I understood that from the very beginning...then he hit the gernational lottery with Bedard. Its still a rebuild and we are not going to be a playoff team, but a priority has to be putting a young stud winger next to Bedard for the 24/25 season. He had multiple opportunities in this draft to do that and he failed. Free Agency is next up but why overspend on someone who isnt going to be part of a cup core.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Have too many picks to not use them. He is not wasting them.
They found the players they wanted and made Sure they got them.
We all know what can Happen at the draft and no Player is Sure to still be there.

There weren't elite wingers left at 18 or 27 or 34. Dont make something up.
Kyle got his guys and made the right moves.

If those guys were the right players is another topic.

We all dont know what happens next, who we will possibly add.
Relax, no need to overreact about something we cant judge for the next 2-3 years.

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
I had to change vote to Meh let's wait . The trade ups were for guys that I didn't even consider . In fairness Ididn't see these Serge's kid . Vanecker I did and I liked him okay . I dont mind the trade up's if these guys hit. Demidov looks so good , Lev ??????

MHO

Sep 27, 2023
I know this sounds crazy but I actually like the idea of doing this. Hear me out...

First off, Columbus turned him down so I think KD has an understanding of the market and what it might cost to do something like that. Puckpedia, what Craig Button might do, or one of us would do isn't always accurate. Who saw Sennecke going at 3? Beckett sure didn't. That pick might be a head scratcher in a couple of years but the point is all it takes is one other team in front of you that wants your guy to make you reach...

It seems that top 5 picks in the NHL draft are worth SO MUCH more than late first rounders and as you get outside of the top 10 and into the late first or later rounds, the odds of the player even ever playing in the NHL are not high. So if you believe you have a shot at a top talent, I'd say go for it if you only have to give up 18 overall and next year's first. It's really a comparison of Demidov against who they might get next year with their top pick.

KD did some things that surprised me last night but he still has the benefit of being new and his draft picks have not had enough time to be properly evaluated. I'm still encouraged by his overall performance thus far, despite the results in the standings, but if we're picking in the top 5 in 2 years, I'm going to be calling for his head.

feichter33

Mar 25, 2013
I'll give my thoughts and see if anyone agrees. To me, in a rebuild, there are 3 stages...you can be a gm that is very good at certain stages, and horrible at others. We are still gathering evidence of stage 2 wirh Kyle, plenty of runway left. This is probably the case with 90% of gms if I'm honest.

1-teardown: Punt everyone not nescessary, gain picks, leverage what you have to gain assets be it cap $$ or players/picks. Volume matters here. I think Kyle's done well here, can't imagine anyone arguing with that. He was given the green light, and did it well.

2-Foundation building:This is the part where you get long term assets, your horses you want to run with. I'm talking the untradeables here, in our case, Bedard, Korch, Nazar, Vlasic, now Levy. It creates the baseline of where you are headed, and determined your teams identity. I think this is where Kyle's gone a little sideways based on public opinion, but tbh we are looking at 2-4 yrs to even see the players he drafted yesterday play in anger. 2 NCAA kids, and a guy that was injured will not play in the NHL next year.

3-Finishing: Possibly the least amount of work for gms, but the highest failure rate. I'm talking the pieces that win cups here, the 3 or 4 free agents, or young guys that make huge impacts in the playoffs. This is the 'put a bow' on it phase. We are nowhere close to that, so definite TBD on this.

Last edited:

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006
I don’t care about the “value” of the picks.

Having three picks in the first 27 of any draft is fantastic. Don’t even care if we don’t draft in the second round. We scream for high potential selection slots, so good on him for getting them.

My issue is what he did with those picks.

Time will tell for how this all turns out.

giza

Jul 19, 2011
I believe they attempted to move up----heard they tried to get #4 which would have rocked. I don't think this played out like they planned and they gave up a lot to get guys that likely would have been at 20 and 34......so they wasted some draft capital. I'm just not excited about this draft, but by no means its a bust.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
GM's are always going to be questioned about the selections they make at the draft and trades they make. Although the picks in round 1 are not what I would have selected, that does not mean that they will not succeed.

It is difficult to predict or project how a young player will develop, time will tell...IMO I would have rather taken Demidov at 2 and someone other than Sacha at 18.. Loads of young prospects in the system, we need to wait and see how they will develop.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Loaded?

There is very little top talent in Hawks system

A bunch of high floor/low ceiling safe picks which has been the go to for this regime
There are plenty of prospects and more than enough with middle 6 Potential. The depth is loaded and you can't deny it.
All thats left is Top Line prospects and 1 #1 C was already added (and would have been even if they wouldn't) have won Bedard. The other high picks were Potential Top Pairing D and 1 Top6 Potential Forward with Nazar.

Just be patient ffs. Can't do it all in 1 1/2 year.

KD will Look to sign a forward to play with Bedard, Hawks will improve by 10-20 points but will still suck enough to get that Top Line Wing prospect next Draft.
Can even package to trade up if needed. I expect those trade ups will Happen again and you will cry about it again.
Just like before. RELAX. This is a rebuild and it takes time.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
There are plenty of prospects and more than enough with middle 6 Potential. The depth is loaded and you can't deny it.
All thats left is Top Line prospects and 1 #1 C was already added (and would have been even if they wouldn't) have won Bedard. The other high picks were Potential Top Pairing D and 1 Top6 Potential Forward with Nazar.

Just be patient ffs. Can't do it all in 1 1/2 year.

KD will Look to sign a forward to play with Bedard, Hawks will improve by 10-20 points but will still suck enough to get that Top Line Wing prospect next Draft.
Can even package to trade up if needed. I expect those trade ups will Happen again and you will cry about it again.
Just like before. RELAX. This is a rebuild and it takes time.
I constantly have this gripe with him. He just has zero patience. He wants everything to be now, now, now. That's not how rebuilds work.

Like who gives a shit if Soderblom is your backup goalie when you're trying to be bad? Who gives a shit if there is a veteran filler garbage on the 4th line or the 3rd D pairing? The whole point is to be bad right now to maximize your potential draft position, to land higher-end talent.

It's still funny how people have kind of ragged about using the 2nds to move into 1sts... when he just threw three lottery tickets from the 1st round on the table, instead of just 2, or even just 1. Second round talent has like a 25% chance of ever sticking in the NHL, whereas 1st round talent has like a 65-75% chance... You want more picks in the 1st round than other rounds. We had 3, and people are still bitching.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I constantly have this gripe with him. He just has zero patience. He wants everything to be now, now, now.

No, I want a GM that drafts talent and doesn't throw away assets for nothing

Defend the trade up to #18? Go ahead?

And there were much better players with higher potential and skill sitting there at #18, do you deny that?

I also want a GM who doesn't sign trash like Athanasiou to multiyear deals. If that is type of player KD wants on roster going forward to drag down linemates it says alot

This idea that not improving roster and wanting to be the new Sabres as plan is far from something that should make people happy

KD hasn't earned a damn bit of trust, and anyone can tear it all down and draft a generational talent gifted in lap

The very same people defending Davidson likely were (I wasn't around back then) the type to trash Mike Smith over at official boards (Where I was at)

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
No, I want a GM that drafts talent and doesn't throw away assets for nothing

Defend the trade up to #18? Go ahead?

And there were much better players with higher potential and skill sitting there at #18, do you deny that?

I also want a GM who doesn't sign trash like Athanasiou to multiyear deals. If that is type of player KD wants on roster going forward to drag down linemates it says alot

This idea that not improving roster and wanting to be the new Sabres as plan is far from something that should make people happy

KD hasn't earned a damn bit of trust, and anyone can tear it all down and draft a generational talent gifted in lap

The very same people defending Davidson likely were (I wasn't around back then) the type to trash Mike Smith over at official boards (Where I was at)
I won't. They could have probably had Boisvert at 20. That trade is a bit of a head-scratcher. I can also think logically, and say that moving to #18 was probably Davidson trying to make the pick more appealing for another move up that just didn't pan out. Davidson probably wanted two guys in the top 10, and the trades to move up on draft day just weren't there, or were too steep in price.

Who cares about cheap, 2 or 3 year deals, when they won't matter when it actually matters? Like... AA won't be here when the Hawks are starting to open their window, his salary won't matter, and him having a multi-year deal won't matter. He was an NHL body to fill out the roster at a couple million bucks. Hardly a thing to go raving lunatic about.

Improving the roster? They weren't TRYING to improve the roster the last couple years... purposely. You need to be bad, to draft high-end talent that you keep screaming about. He'll improve the roster this year, I'm sure. And it will continue to improve as their prospects start to funnel into the NHL over the next couple seasons.

Again... have some goddamn patience. Even this post screams to what I was talking about, and how you want everything to be now, now, now.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
I constantly have this gripe with him. He just has zero patience. He wants everything to be now, now, now. That's not how rebuilds work.

Like who gives a shit if Soderblom is your backup goalie when you're trying to be bad? Who gives a shit if there is a veteran filler garbage on the 4th line or the 3rd D pairing? The whole point is to be bad right now to maximize your potential draft position, to land higher-end talent.

It's still funny how people have kind of ragged about using the 2nds to move into 1sts... when he just threw three lottery tickets from the 1st round on the table, instead of just 2, or even just 1. Second round talent has like a 25% chance of ever sticking in the NHL, whereas 1st round talent has like a 65-75% chance... You want more picks in the 1st round than other rounds. We had 3, and people are still bitching.

He moved from 34 to 27. I bet the percentage difference to make the nhl from 34 to 27 isn’t 50%

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
The Utah team had to give up 38, 71, and 2025 2nd rounder to get 24

The hawks had to give up 34 and 50 to get 27

This doesnt add up. Kyle should really be on watch from here on out. We couldve easily traded 67, 34 and a 2025 second rounder to get up to 20-24

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
He moved from 34 to 27. I bet the percentage difference to make the nhl from 34 to 27 isn’t 50%
If they were Set on taking one certain Player than its easily worth it. No reason to risk it.

Maybe they think he has that 50% more Chance and they didnt like much what was left.

The Utah team had to give up 38, 71, and 2025 2nd rounder to get 24

The hawks had to give up 34 and 50 to get 27

This doesnt add up. Kyle should really be on watch from here on out. We couldve easily traded 67, 34 and a 2025 second rounder to get up to 20-24
If there wasn't a Player they like enough? What if Kyle wants to Keep the 2nds for next year to trade up next year?

Like we have never seen that before.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
If they were Set on taking one certain Player than its easily worth it. No reason to risk it.

Maybe they think he has that 50% more Chance and they didnt like much what was left.

If there wasn't a Player they like enough? What if Kyle wants to Keep the 2nds for next year to trade up next year?

Like we have never seen that before.
Horrible trade in value terms. A 2025 2nd rounder doesn’t hold nearly enough value comparative to a 2024 2nd rounder because of time value of assets concept. So a 2025 2nd is close to a 2024 early 3rd in total value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad