We have a GM problem

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Is KD right man for the job

• Yes he is doing great job

Votes: 27 27.3%
  • Meh lets wait and see

Votes: 47 47.5%
  • I am starting to be alarmed

Votes: 17 17.2%
  • fire this dipshit into the sun

Votes: 8 8.1%

• Total voters

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
If he picks Levshunov over Demidov (or a few others) he's clueless
How many games did you watch both players? How many times have you had face to face discussions to get to know them?

Not trying to be a dick here, but the Hawks spent a lot of time and effort to establish their list. Everyone's list is different, and if you don't trust your process you have the wrong people in those spots. This is the equivalent of the drunk passenger taking the controls from the pilot trying to land the GD plane..

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
So far So Good . I guess we will get a preview of the future with how he handles July 1 .

BHFAN92

Jan 21, 2016
Mid-West
Adding overpriced UFAs to long term deals is not how you build a contender. You build a contender through the draft, and shrewd trades. Kyle hasn't done anything to jeopardize that, so he has done a fine job IMO.
100% agree ...except when a player like Rutger McGroarty becomes available who is very talented and young and fits bill of slightly older prospect (20yrs old) you move mountains to acquire this type of player to complement Bedard or the 2nd line. I would 10/q0 times make move like this vs what he just did with Canucks

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Here is a perfect target for a "shrewd" move

Leafs want Lili for low and think they can come back after FA to get him signed but he has arbitration rights which complicates situation for Leafs and gives him potential leverage in talks

This is perfect young RD target for Hawks in situation that may be coming to point soon in which Leafs move him to avoid arbitration issue

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
100% agree ...except when a player like Rutger McGroarty becomes available who is very talented and young and fits bill of slightly older prospect (20yrs old) you move mountains to acquire this type of player to complement Bedard or the 2nd line. I would 10/q0 times make move like this vs what he just did with Canucks
Move mountains for a completely unknown player, who may not even be an impact player in the NHL? No. The two moves aren't even comparable. Winnipeg isnt giving you a 2nd round pick to acquire McGroaty.

I would trade a mid-late first + a B type prospect for McGroaty, but I'm not moving mountains for an unknown.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Exactly this

Compromising our cap position, what the hell are you talking about? Guess what they’re going to get 60 points next year and you know what you’ll say, why spend in the summer of 2025 when we aren’t close to contending. And then do this every year and it’s 2030 and the hawks still are a fringe team
You're at least one year too early for this type of thinking. The pieces aren't in play yet to go from rebuild to playoff team to Cup contender. It's too early to make major moves adding multiple high end UFA's to long term deals. We've acquired what like 12 first & second rounders from 2022 until 2026? He's restocking the pipeline and that's got to come to fruition.

I think he's done a fine job so far but I'll be disappointed if he doesn't give Bedard a quality winger to play with next season. He specifically said in a presser last year's level of play wasn't acceptable so hopefully he's a man of his word and we do more than just hope Taylor f***ing Hall stays healthy.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
God fans are insufferable. We're in year two of the rebuild folks. Stop crying because he's not signing UFAs to ridiculous contracts or that he's not drafting the player you've watched the same highlights of for the past couple months. Everyone give their heads a shake and settle down.

When KD took over, this team had a very light prospect pool and was stuck in no-mans land in the standings. Not bad enough for a top-end pick, not anywhere near good enough for the playoffs.

He tore it down and told you all it would be a 4-5 year rebuild. That plan didn't drastically change because, as you mentioned, they lucked into Bedard and it shouldn't be dramatically rushed just bc they got Bedard.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Their system was recently ranked 19th by one site if you exclude Bedard...after 24/25 draft with the capital they have they should be top 5 excluding Bedard if they don't mess up the picks...then see where the 22/23 picks are at and go from there...their progression should dictate the rebuild, you can't force it with UFAs and patchwork, we just went through 10 years of this with Bowman

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Their system was recently ranked 19th by one site if you exclude Bedard...after 24/25 draft with the capital they have they should be top 5 excluding Bedard if they don't mess up the picks...then see where the 22/23 picks are at and go from there...their progression should dictate the rebuild, you can't force it
That excludes Korchinski too I believe... but top 5 if they don't mess up the picks is stretch to say.

Thr players panning out is what matters. That's not determined by Wheeler or whoever ranks prospects list says they are at in his ranking list. I'm with you, just think these guys are wrong too. Was Vlasic on his list even last year?

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
That excludes Korchinski too I believe
Korchinski didn't exactly improve his stock but good to know, I did not realize that, but they're still not brimming with blue chip talent outside of Bedard, a lot of very good potential but no truly elite players outside of him...because you can't get that type of talent without being absolute ass for 4-5 years

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Their system was recently ranked 19th by one site if you exclude Bedard...after 24/25 draft with the capital they have they should be top 5 excluding Bedard if they don't mess up the picks...then see where the 22/23 picks are at and go from there...their progression should dictate the rebuild, you can't force it with UFAs and patchwork, we just went through 10 years of this with Bowman

This site has them ranked #1, article was written September 2023. It's a fickle measurement and doesn't guarantee to translate into anything whatsoever. I remember always reading about these high ranking prospect pools the last 10 years and then it never materializes into championships.

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
Penguins rebuild: 5 consecutive years picking in the top-5, including 4 top-2 picks
Oilers rebuild: 7 consecutive years picking in the top-7, including 4 1st overall picks.
Blackhawks OG rebuild: 4 consecutive years picking in the top-7, including 3 top-3 picks.
Toronto's rebuild: 4/5 years picking in the top-8, including 3 top-5 picks and a 1st overall.

Current Blackhawks rebuild: One top-7 pick and one 1st overall pick.

Settle down.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013

This site has them ranked #1, article was written September 2023. It's a fickle measurement and doesn't guarantee to translate into anything whatsoever. I remember always reading about these high ranking prospect pools the last 10 years and then it never materializes into championships.
Including Bedard? Agree, its a fickle measure and doesn't automatically translate to success at all, but as far as a timeline is concerned it seems like a reasonable way to judge where things are...What exactly do they have outside of Bedard that grades out as special right now? We need more premium picks and that means more losing for the next 1-2 years at least...we needed Celebrini to change this timeline

Reactions: belfour30

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Penguins rebuild: 5 consecutive years picking in the top-5, including 4 top-2 picks
Oilers rebuild: 7 consecutive years picking in the top-7, including 4 1st overall picks.
Blackhawks OG rebuild: 4 consecutive years picking in the top-7, including 3 top-3 picks.
Toronto's rebuild: 4/5 years picking in the top-8, including 3 top-5 picks and a 1st overall.

Settle down.
Yup. More than likely we have at least 2 more years after this year of drafting top 7.

ello

Jun 12, 2018

Settle down.
KD wants to be competitive by 2026-27 allegedly

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
KD wants to be competitive by 2026-27 allegedly
Based on what? It sounds like you're going off of Ben Pope saying. Based on this 2nd rounders we got. The team can use that when they're trying to be competitive.

That was entirely made up by Ben Pope.

Unless sometime Davidson has ever said a year you're pulling this from. But I've never seen it.

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
God fans are insufferable. We're in year two of the rebuild folks. Stop crying because he's not signing UFAs to ridiculous contracts or that he's not drafting the player you've watched the same highlights of for the past couple months. Everyone give their heads a shake and settle down.

When KD took over, this team had a very light prospect pool and was stuck in no-mans land in the standings. Not bad enough for a top-end pick, not anywhere near good enough for the playoffs.

He tore it down and told you all it would be a 4-5 year rebuild. That plan didn't drastically change because, as you mentioned, they lucked into Bedard and it shouldn't be dramatically rushed just bc they got Bedard.
I'm not crying because of that. I'm whining because:
1. You don't win in the playoffs with all of your best forwards being sub-6ft
2. I just saw a tweet today where KD said that he's willing to give out contracts with term. It's way too early for that.
3. In the last few drafts in the late rounds (even as early as the 2nd with Ludwinski and Misiak) he's content taking guys with low ceilings instead of shooting for the moon.
4. in 2023 after Lardis, he picked size for the sake of size with little regard for actual talent

To clarify point 1: I'm not saying that it's bad to have any smurfy forwards, just that you can't have an entire top 6 of them.

Last edited:

TJBrocker

May 6, 2019
He hasn't signed any terrible long term contracts as of yet. The one long term signed, he really knocked that out of the park.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I'm not crying because of that. I'm whining because:
1. You don't win in the playoffs with all of your best forwards being sub-6ft
2. I just saw a tweet today where KD said that he's willing to give out contracts with term. It's way too early for that.
3. In the last few drafts in the late rounds (even as early as the 2nd with Ludwinski) he's content taking guys with low ceilings instead of shooting for the moon.
4. in 2023 after Lardis, he picked size for the sake of size with little regard for actual talent

To clarify point 1: I'm not saying that it's bad to have any smurfy forwards, just that you can't have an entire top 6 of them.
Who are Tampas best forwards? Especially say, in 2020?

You're upset about picks that have 15% or way less odds of simply even making the nhl. If you want to react to things that haven't happened based on what he said, he's also been very luke warm about adding talent. He pointed to Hall/AA being healthy as adds. He also said this draft they have flexibility they may target guys people may of said they wouldn't target before

ello

Jun 12, 2018
So sharks after picking 1 and 4 are going to walk away with Celebrini and Will Smith and after we pick 1 and 2 we're walking away with Bedard and uh, Ekblad 2.0 and apparently according to people on here that's a good outcome

Based on what? It sounds like you're going off of Ben Pope saying. Based on this 2nd rounders we got. The team can use that when they're trying to be competitive.

That was entirely made up by Ben Pope.

Unless sometime Davidson has ever said a year you're pulling this from. But I've never seen it.
Made up?

Last edited:
Reactions: BHFAN92

10YearsAfter

Feb 11, 2014
Connecticut
How many games did you watch both players? How many times have you had face to face discussions to get to know them?

Not trying to be a dick here, but the Hawks spent a lot of time and effort to establish their list. Everyone's list is different, and if you don't trust your process you have the wrong people in those spots. This is the equivalent of the drunk passenger taking the controls from the pilot trying to land the GD plane..
incompetent people are 'given' jobs they don't deserve or qualify for all the time. KD appears to be one. btw the taylor hall / Regula trade will come back to bite him too

MHO

Sep 27, 2023
Exactly this

Compromising our cap position, what the hell are you talking about? Guess what they’re going to get 60 points next year and you know what you’ll say, why spend in the summer of 2025 when we aren’t close to contending. And then do this every year and it’s 2030 and the hawks still are a fringe team

I understand the frustration but I don't see how the Blackhawks sign any free agent without overpaying this summer. I see it as I'd rather go after Draisaitl and/or Rantanen next year on top of 1 more year of player development when I believe Chicago will be a much more attractive destination than potentially overpaying and tying our cap space up to get Reinart and/or Guentzel.

Could we do both? Maybe but Bedard is going to be coming for a payday soon and others may be as well. I promise you that if KD says the same stuff next summer as he does this summer, then I fully agree with you that he cannot keep doing that.

What would you like to see KD do this offseason? What guys do you want? How much and how long would you like to see the Blackhawks pay them?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad