We have a GM problem

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Is KD right man for the job

• Yes he is doing great job

Votes: 27 27.3%
  • Meh lets wait and see

Votes: 47 47.5%
  • I am starting to be alarmed

Votes: 17 17.2%
  • fire this dipshit into the sun

Votes: 8 8.1%

• Total voters

BHFAN92

Jan 21, 2016
Mid-West
After yesterday's trade and press conference, when can we start discussing the possibility we have a GM who is not cut out for this role? It is seemingly more and more likely KD lucked into Bedard, but hasn't really done anything to warrant praise outside of that.

BHFAN92

Jan 21, 2016
Mid-West
I'll be pissed when Kyle doesn't pick Demidov tonight, but what else has he done wrong? What are you alluding to about what he did yesterday that would be a fireable offense?
For me it just the lack of any kind of aggression into kick starting this team. A lot still hasn't happened draft/FA but seeing other teams like SJ who is in same exact position going all out to build around young talent while KD nibble around 3rd and 4th line players or former stars (Perry/Hall/Foligno) at tail ends of their careers. He seems very content in helping other teams out of their cap hell by taking on 2nd rd picks yet never seems able to make a bigger trade or acquire any player of substance. In essence I feel like KD is leaving us with blue balls..taking us almost their but then leaving the job unfinished

Reactions: Illinihockey

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
What exactly has he done wrong at this point? I realize that the tear down is easier than the build up, but its not like other teams and GMs have screwed up the teardown part or gotten too impatient and have tried to take short cuts. GMKD has done a good job in the trades he has made, has accumulated a ton of assets spread out over the next 3 years (with more to come I am sure), and has put in place a structured philosphy on what he is looking for in his team (speed, work ethic etc...). I honestly don't understand what people are concerned with at this point.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Way too premature to decide even after this weekend. We won't know if he's good or bad for at least another couple years.

Any contractor can tear down a structure, let's see what he can do some actual building now.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
For me it just the lack of any kind of aggression into kick starting this team. A lot still hasn't happened draft/FA but seeing other teams like SJ who is in same exact position going all out to build around young talent while KD nibble around 3rd and 4th line players or former stars (Perry/Hall/Foligno) at tail ends of their careers. He seems very content in helping other teams out of their cap hell by taking on 2nd rd picks yet never seems able to make a bigger trade or acquire any player of substance. In essence I feel like KD is leaving us with blue balls..taking us almost their but then leaving the job unfinished
He's not aggressive in kickstarting this team because... they're still rebuilding. And they're only in like year 2 of the rebuild...

Like wtf? :laugh:

You know how you f*** up a rebuild? You get too aggressive, too soon, and you end up stuck in the quicksand of mediocrity for the next decade.

BHFAN92

Jan 21, 2016
Mid-West
What exactly has he done wrong at this point? I realize that the tear down is easier than the build up, but its not like other teams and GMs have screwed up the teardown part or gotten too impatient and have tried to take short cuts. GMKD has done a good job in the trades he has made, has accumulated a ton of assets spread out over the next 3 years (with more to come I am sure), and has put in place a structured philosphy on what he is looking for in his team (speed, work ethic etc...). I honestly don't understand what people are concerned with at this point.
for me its the build back up. He still looks like in yr 3 now a guy who doesnt know how to aquire or build up young talent. Ilya Mikheyev is crap. he is 29 and still recovering from tore ACL and scored 1 goal in 60 games. Lafferty is also 29 and cant find a spot after his 1 decent season in Chicago 2 yrs ago. There is a reason teams dont want these guys. KD press conference yesterday just felt so disappointing like these 2 guys along with Hall and Athanasiou are the upgrades. Also its feeling like Levshunov (who I like) is going to be the pick but this also feel likes a miss to get Bedard a winger in Demidov. Everything just feels wrong with this GM and I feel like I cant articulate why

He's not aggressive in kickstarting this team because... they're still rebuilding. And they're only in like year 2 of the rebuild...

Like wtf? :laugh:

You know how you f*** up a rebuild? You get too aggressive, too soon, and you end up stuck in the quicksand of mediocrity for the next decade.
yr 3

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
for me its the build back up. He still looks like in yr 3 now a guy who doesnt know how to aquire or build up young talent. Ilya Mikheyev is crap. he is 29 and still recovering from tore ACL and scored 1 goal in 60 games. Lafferty is also 29 and cant find a spot after his 1 decent season in Chicago 2 yrs ago. There is a reason teams dont want these guys. KD press conference yesterday just felt so disappointing like these 2 guys along with Hall and Athanasiou are the upgrades. Also its feeling like Levshunov (who I like) is going to be the pick but this also feel likes a miss to get Bedard a winger in Demidov. Everything just feels wrong with this GM and I feel like I cant articulate why

yr 3
They're not in year 3...

The roster was torn down in the 2022 offseason. DeBrincat and Dach were traded in the summer of 2022. In what world did the rebuild start before that? Davidson wasn't even GM until March of 2022... which is just a couple months over 2 years ago. This is technically his 3rd draft, but it's not "year 3" of the rebuild...

Give your head a shake.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Yep. He's got an incomplete grade but he's decidedly competent with a clear vision at this point.

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
KD has not done anything to justify having a GM problem. If the Hawks are not competing for a playoff spot within the next two years, then we'll talk but until then, this topic is premature.

Reactions: TLEH and BHFAN92

Wally1112pac

Three Year Rebuild lol
Jul 10, 2019
I don't see what the problem is.

KD said this will be a total rebuild. That means you are going to be watching some garbage hockey for 3-5 years. The pay off is drafting at the top of the draft and getting elite talent. When that elite talent develops the team will turn the corner. When the team turns the corner you make trades or sign good free agents to complement what you already have.

That takes time.

Bedard just won the Calder last night. Seems like we're on the right track.

If you're impatient with that, that's on you not KD.

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022
it’s a long way to get where they want to go, and there’s a very good chance KD isn’t there when they get there. same principle for me as lurich.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
It's way too early to determine anything of that nature yet. From what we've seen, it seems to be a pretty clear vision. Suck butt, get high draft picks, and get a lot of them. And that's how it should be done. Hard to grade him until he actually attempts to put together a winning roster. Until then, it's all about building for the future, which seems to be going fine so far.

It's gonna take some patience, however. That is for sure. I don't think everyone is in the right mindset for that. Still a ways to go!

Reactions: ChiHawks10

CallMeShaft

34 Counts
Apr 14, 2014
I don't have any idea of what San Jose is doing that the Hawks aren't right now.

Seems like a pretty similar playbook up to this point.

giza

Jul 19, 2011
I liked Lazerus article about need to be bold and pick Demidov vs doing the safe thing. Tonight, we will see what Davidson is made of ----safe and cautious or gutsy and bold. He has torn down the team, accrued and secured a plethora of high picks for the foreseeable future and has the balance sheet to get a star player or two when they come available. But anything short of challenging for a playoff spot this year will levitate the doubt that fuels this post.

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006
If anything, I enjoy that he has a vision and doesn't really do much to stray from it. He is very open about doing nothing to jeopardize how they are trying to build the team. It is refreshing to see a GM with discipline.

Way too early for this thread.

I liked Lazerus article about need to be bold and pick Demidov vs doing the safe thing. Tonight, we will see what Davidson is made of ----safe and cautious or gutsy and bold. He has torn down the team, accrued and secured a plethora of high picks for the foreseeable future and has the balance sheet to get a star player or two when they come available. But anything short of challenging for a playoff spot this year will levitate the doubt that fuels this post.

I'll save you the season and let you know that you're going to be disappointed.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
I’d prefer him take forwards with the top picks moving forward, but I don’t think he’s done anything wrong in particular at this point.

I do want to see how long he hangs onto Richardson, who I think is an abomination to coaching. That’ll be a major point in how judge Davidson.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
What are your complaints with this trade? What do you mean San Jose is building around young talent better? With who? Their going to be a tanking team this year again. They aren't in any different role.

For both clubs, it's going to be being bad longer. You may not like that, but that's how full scale rebuilds go

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Can you give an example of what SJ has done to go "all in"? There are probably close to 30GMs who would have liked to do the Walman deal.

I hope the Hawks take Demidov, but I acknowledge that I am the noob telling the surgeon how to do open heart surgery. You have to have some faith because we won't know the best decision for many years. Please remember that Hedman and Pronger took a long time to become the dominant force they did (not saying Lev is that level of player obviously).

And agreed on the worse mistake you can make is try to "shortcut" the rebuild like so many teams do. Always think back to Buffalo with the crazy Erhoff/Moulson contracts. Need to accept the growing pains and keep adding foundational pieces.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad