GDT: We have a game in less than 3 hours

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
To each their own then.

I think once Larkin was effectively out of the play, going back to defend the front of the net would have been the prudent move. Even if the puck had managed to find its way back to Larkin after that point, if Faulk was in front of the net, he would have been in fairly decent position.

It's not really a matter of each to their own. In that situation, in any sort of defensive scheme, Larkin was his guy. No coach, with any systems is going to tell Faulk to leave him to go to the front of the net with Staal, Hainsey back and Versteeg coming back at a faster rate than Faulk could get there. Going back to defend the front of the net, when others were there/coming and leaving Larkin alone would have been the wrong move on his part. Now, as I said, he let Larkin get around him so he played that part poorly, but it had no role in the goal. Plus, I still don't think even after Larkin made the pass (and Faulk was tight against him), he could have pivoted and raced to the net to beat Zetterburg there.

Anyhow, it doesn't matter. There were LOTs of defensive breakdowns most of the 2nd half of the game, by 5 guys on the ice. Some times, they ended up in the net and sometimes they didn't. I'm not suggesting Faulk had a good game either, the only thing I was taking exception to was your notion that ******* on Faulks part were the direct result of goals. That's simply not the case.

I don't think Ward played as poorly as some on here are commenting. I think he was surprised by Zetterburg getting by J. Staal and could have played that one better, but Zetterburg is a great player who made a great play and sometimes, that happens in the NHL and it isn't always because of a "****up".

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
On the flipside, I've been pleasantly surprised by Hanifin. It's only a couple of games and I realize he'll have his share of rookie mistakes and he'll struggle more as he goes up against tougher competition, but I'm impressed at how poised he is, how well he skates and how he appears to see the ice so well.

Hainsey is way over-sloted as a top pairing guy. This was true (and commented on frequently) by Jets fans as well when he was there.

Highway29

Don dun well?
Mar 20, 2013
I think the quality of the scoring chances / shots was the difference. Detroit kept us enough away from the best scoring areas. We also had some bad luck.

Ward was solid. Not getting the full blame on him. I think it's important in a quiet game to stay focused and that's something he didn't do (first goal) but he's never been good in that. He's always been better when there's been plenty of shots on him (based on my memory, I might be wrong).

Highway29

Don dun well?
Mar 20, 2013
On the flipside, I've been pleasantly surprised by Hanifin. It's only a couple of games and I realize he'll have his share of rookie mistakes and he'll struggle more as he goes up against tougher competition, but I'm impressed at how poised he is, how well he skates and how he appears to see the ice so well.

Hainsey is way over-sloted as a top pairing guy. This was true (and commented on frequently) by Jets fans as well when he was there.

Agree on both. Hainsey should be getting the 3rd pairing minutes with Murphy. That would put Liles with Faulk but I've liked Liles in 2nd pair so that would leave either with Hanifin or Jordan with Faulk

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Jordan and Faulk might work. I'd really like to get away from the Hanifin/Murphy pairing at least. Hanifin's looked good, but with Murphy still handling the puck like a hand grenade, I'd want them separate.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Jordan and Faulk might work. I'd really like to get away from the Hanifin/Murphy pairing at least. Hanifin's looked good, but with Murphy still handling the puck like a hand grenade, I'd want them separate.

I think you'll see them split up eventually. Right now, I think they are easing Hanifin into it where he and Murphy won't get the tough assignments. As Hanifin get's his feet wet and more experience, I suspect you'll see him moved up over time.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
I would try to give Hanifin some O Zone starts with Faulk. I think they need to work a little together, cause the writing is on the wall that Hanifin - Faulk is the future top pairing.

Wiz going down really hurt the pairings. Not sure how you shelter 2 players with only 3 vets on the roster, our RHD is weak again.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
wtf are you talking about, murphy was making ridiculous passes all game long. his passes out of the zone were near elite and he was carrying the puck out great, too. i'm not sure how this is even a post.

Last edited:

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
wtf are you talking about, murphy was making ridiculous passes all game long. his passes out of the zone were near elite and he was carrying the puck out great, too. i'm not sure how this is even a post.

Murphy had a little trouble in the dzone a couple times when they got hemmed in, but it almost never happened. The retrieval and exits from Hanifin-Murphy were off the charts. Same goes for Jordan-Liles.

That's why they outshot Detroit a bajillion to 2 to start, and more than doubled them up at the end.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

Less about his exits from the defensive zone and more about his puck-handling in the offensive zone. A couple times he flubbed the puck on the offensive blueline (through some combination of nerves and bad ice), and as the game went on, it became obvious that Detroit was putting more pressure on him whenever he got the puck.

There were a couple times that I was just waiting for a breakaway going the other way. To Murphy's credit, that never happened, but I'd still feel much more comfortable having Hanifin partnered with someone a little more steady.

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
in the no surprise category...

Carolina HurricanesVerified account
‏@NHLCanes
Peters said Lack will start Tuesday. "It is exciting for him. I know he's looking forward to it & we're going to play hard in front of him."

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
yeah i thought murphy and hanifin was our best pairing, and their zone exits/entries were great. once they got hemmed in murphy did look outmatched, but that game from murphy is a lot closer to what weve been waiting for...

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
How has Lindholm looked? He is certainly playing a lot.

Personally, after 2 games, I don't think great. He's playing a lot because we have no one else. You didn't ask this but, Victor Rask has been very good and his TOI in game 2 was staggering. BP must really like what he sees in this kid. I know I do.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
But luck. I thought we were just unlucky last year.

I was actually thinking about this earlier... I wonder if this is the team that ends up breaking the "regress to the mean" consensus about certain stats. We were improbably "unlucky," last year, according to the advanced stats, which I buy to a certain extent. But if we put up another year of that improbability in PDO or whatever it is that usually sorts itself out long-term, it's possible that we can start making assumptions about the effectiveness of those stats for this system.

One thing's for sure, we were possession and Corsi machines on Saturday, but they had similar quality scoring chances...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad