We Deserve the NHL Equivalent of the ManningCast

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I find Subban obnoxious but I can see why people think he's entertaining, but Messier he has the personality of a sponge.
Yea, I wasn't big on Subban at first but he has improved when he remembers to make it about the game not himself. When he first came on I think he thought he had to be funny , charming, and the show.
Mess is good at dissecting the game being played. Great Insight. I don't need him to entertain me in any other way.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Watched Messier and Subban do it. Theyve been great.
Would I watch all the time if they were given their own show? Unlikey.
Messier on the broadcast is like watching wallpaper dry. Hes perfect for the excitement of NHL Network broadcasts though.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Gimme Jack Edwards and Leah Hextall and I'm in

But ...the NFL season is only 17 games and Manningcast is just done on Primetime MNF games, like 10 times a year. And football games frequently come down to the final drive.

With hockey there's too many games and games don't come down to the wire as often as this. Wouldn’t work
Plus the breaks in between action allow for a lot of commentary in football. And the strategy of the play. NHL just wouldn’t work.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
and yet Moose is better than anyone on HNIC panel.
Low bar there I admit.
I’m not from Canada so I’m not surprised but unless it’s the Rangers or Edmonton are on, he’s awful. The Isles had a game vs Tampa right after the all star break and you could have had a drunk beer leaguer do a better job. Even PK was trying to press his buttons to get excitement out of him. Id rather have Aaron Asham on the broadcast then Messier.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The problem is that most hockey players are boring. Maybe get two or three goalies together to chat, and you could have something interesting.

But you can't really downplay the fact that football is just better suited for commentary like that due to the clear breakages in play, ease of responding to replays, and not missing beats in the action. Meanwhile, a hockey version would be a couple guys talking about the one time they had to push a moose off the road to let their junior bus pass outside Medicine Hat and oh wait, someone scored?
So we’re Eli and Peyton when they played.

Reactions: Voight

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I’m not from Canada so I’m not surprised but unless it’s the Rangers or Edmonton are on, he’s awful. The Isles had a game vs Tampa right after the all star break and you could have had a drunk beer leaguer do a better job. Even PK was trying to press his buttons to get excitement out of him. Id rather have Aaron Asham on the broadcast then Messier.
lol. Didn't see that one. Maybe he just had a Joe Biden "bad night"
Read Messiers book and he is very insightful, great stories, I enjoy his comments between periods. If I want funny or dramatic entertainment I watch comedy shows or net Flicks.
My hockey analysts only have to know hockey .......I don't expect any more than that. And Messier laughs with and at Subban. They are a good mutt and Jeff combo.
McLean , Botterhill , Hrudey, Friedman and Bieska are an embarrassing bunch on HNIC . So up here in Canada we'll take Mark and PK all day long.
They were both great in the semi finals and final too.

Last edited:

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
lol. Didn't see that one. Maybe he just had a Joe Biden "bad night"
Read Messiers book and he is very insightful, great stories, I enjoy his comments between periods. If I want funny or dramatic entertainment I watch comedy shows or net Flicks.
My hockey analysts only have to know hockey .......I don't expect any more than that. And Messier laughs with and at Subban. They are a good mutt and Jeff combo.
McLean , Botterhill , Hrudey, Friedman and Bieska are an embarrassing bunch on HNIC . So up here in Canada we'll take Mark and PK all day long.
They were both great in the semi finals and final too.
I think it was more to do with the fact the Islanders were winning (and embarrassing Tampa at one point) with all the big stars on Tampa. Subban tried to get him excited and it was wet blanket bad. I’ll still however take the NHL on TNT team over ESPN. Even Shaq and Chuck are more exciting.

Reactions: PaulD

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
One is a Mount Rushmore calibre QB, the other has multiple rings.

And they both have personality, are willing to have fun.

Then you have the extreme level of passion for the sport... I mean look at Peyton there it's as if he's the biggest Falcons fan in the world lol.

A lot of people may like Biz & Whit but it's apples and oranges when it comes to legit pedigree.

I doubt all the best players in NHL history have dull personalities but it just seems that most of them don't want to show what they have, Crosby is a prime example.

Eventually we will get real superstars that are willing to have fun publicly. Probably not anytime soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad