We Deserve the NHL Equivalent of the ManningCast

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
We deserve our own version of the ManningCast because nothing beats hearing ex-players call out the action in real time, sharing stories from the bench, and pointing out the stuff we all miss. It’d be like watching a game with a couple of guys who’ve actually been on the ice, breaking down the plays and giving us the unfiltered commentary we didn’t know we needed.

Watch this clip from last night

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
I’m all for it. I’d rather them push for atleast an equivalent of HNIC for the states where we get one night a week with 2-3 national feed games and create some spotlight. Either on ESPN/ESPN2/TNT or any major network that isn’t a streaming service.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
We deserve our own version of the ManningCast because nothing beats hearing ex-players call out the action in real time, sharing stories from the bench, and pointing out the stuff we all miss. It’d be like watching a game with a couple of guys who’ve actually been on the ice, breaking down the plays and giving us the unfiltered commentary we didn’t know we needed.

Watch this clip from last night
Watched Messier and Subban do it. Theyve been great.
Would I watch all the time if they were given their own show? Unlikey.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
What you are describing is the job of the color commentator lol
That's what I was thinking....the people we are listening to on TV have been there and played the game.....not 100% of them, but a lot of them have and that's the credentials used to at least get the interview for their job

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Didn’t TNT do this a few times last year? The problem is doing it will take viewers away from the actual broadcast, which it’s good for the NHL. It’s fine for the NFL because, as usual, they play by different rules.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I’m all for it. I’d rather them push for atleast an equivalent of HNIC for the states where we get one night a week with 2-3 national feed games and create some spotlight. Either on ESPN/ESPN2/TNT or any major network that isn’t a streaming service.
HNIC ....stopped watching any of it years ago. Nauseating.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
The Mannings are unique because they have the personality to do it but also have Super Bowl winning pedigrees and one of them is an all time great to give them legitimacy.

I don’t know any NHL players that could fit that mold. Most of the guys with personality weren’t that great and the great players mostly have no personality.

Reactions: Amorgus and piqued

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
you can only say "get pucks deep" so many times

there just aren't many NHL'ers out there with actual personalities. not to mention the NHL simply isn't popular enough to warrant an entire separate broadcast

Reactions: Oilslick941611

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Hockey players have the personality of wet cardboard. Football is full of personality.

The Mannings are unique because they have the personality to do it but also have Super Bowl winning pedigrees and one of them is an all time great to give them legitimacy.

I don’t know any NHL players that could fit that mold. Most of the guys with personality weren’t that great and the great players mostly have no personality.
maybe in 20 years there we can watch the Quinn brothers awkwardly and stoically talk about a game as if they've met each other before filming. Full of awkward silences and cliche phrases "y'obviously, get pucks deep, play a full 60 and help the goalie out"

HockeyScotty

Sep 11, 2021
That's what I was thinking....the people we are listening to on TV have been there and played the game.....not 100% of them, but a lot of them have and that's the credentials used to at least get the interview for their job

I get what you are saying, but I think hockey is just too fast paced of a game for there to be an "equivalent" to the Manning-cast; football is slow with lots of time between plays (the reason I stopped watching it 5+ years ago).

While I agree that there can be more behind the scenes insights and personality brought to the broadcast booth; and more technical "John Madden" style analysis to help fans understand the nuance, strategy, assignments, etc of the game (that would require a really intimate knowledge of each team's playing style/strategy).

One alternative streaming cast I would like to see is a "total ice" view that is home team based (for me the Avalanche, for example) where I get more insight into where everyone is on the ice (not just the camera following the puck). To truly grow the game in markets like the US where hockey isn't a primary sport there needs to be better education/understanding of the game.

Someone like me who was introduced to the sport when the Avs showed up, it's been a near 30 year journey in adulthood to watch and learn, then to play the game to be able to really understand it better. It's like an all-or-nothing proposition; not everyone can turn their life over to hunt out that type of information; it shouldn't be a closely guarded secret.

Think about watching rugby, cricket, some obscure but obviously popular and entertaining sport in another country. You can be entertained but you would only get obscure information on what is really going on unless you had access to highly knowledgeable coaches, etc.

What John Madden did on his broadcasts was a multiplying effect for the true knowledge of how football plays and players were expected to perform; now it is so prevelant and the lexicon has grown tremendously because of it. Hockey has so little of that in a broad sense.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Gimme Jack Edwards and Leah Hextall and I'm in

But ...the NFL season is only 17 games and Manningcast is just done on Primetime MNF games, like 10 times a year. And football games frequently come down to the final drive.

With hockey there's too many games and games don't come down to the wire as often as this. Wouldn’t work

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
The problem is that most hockey players are boring. Maybe get two or three goalies together to chat, and you could have something interesting.

But you can't really downplay the fact that football is just better suited for commentary like that due to the clear breakages in play, ease of responding to replays, and not missing beats in the action. Meanwhile, a hockey version would be a couple guys talking about the one time they had to push a moose off the road to let their junior bus pass outside Medicine Hat and oh wait, someone scored?

Reactions: BLNY

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
HNIC ....stopped watching any of it years ago. Nauseating.
Not specifically HNIC but a weekly stream like it. Just something to get games consistently on the national feed and get some new viewers because it’s on a major network and not OLN/some streaming service. If the other 3 major sports can do it, the NHL should be able to as well.

Reactions: PGW and PaulD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad