GDT: We Back: Your New Jersey Devils vs. Buffalo Sabres, Global Series 2024 - Czechia, 1 PM ET, MSGSN (In Market), NHL Network (Out of Market)

NJDfan86

Dec 29, 2021
I don’t see why Luke returning would have an impact on a Dillon-Dougie pair.

I think when the lineup is healthy Dillon plays with either Pesce (full defense) or Nemec (3rd pair).

Have to play Casey/Nemec as the sheltered third pair with Casey on his off hand, and I think they like having returning D paired up with the new guys right now.

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
Look what I found.

1728076624438.png

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
They didn't, but they did have a few very dangerous chances that they generated from almost nothing. Thinking of that one where Jack found Bratt down low and Jesper just didn't finish. Even when these guys are off they're dangerous.
So just imagine how dangerous theyll be when theyre going?

Keefe hopefully is

So weird that that Nico was dragged down by his terrible wingers…. :sarcasm:
Luckily he had Bastian and Cotter to help him out; soon hell have Meier

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
It was sloppy and I kinda hated Jacks game. But it wasn't a gong show like last season. This wasn't perfect but all things considered, they played a much more sustainable style than probably at any point last season. Lots to work on as always, but I was honestly expecting worse.

It looked bleak before the Noesen goal and then it flipped

People think it was just analytics talking him into it but maybe he looked at his own film of the line two years ago when coaching against them, I mean that’s possible

I feel like people forget the numbers tell what happened on the ice. Like if the numbers that overwhelmingly good you’re going to see it watching it too

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020

The thing with that meter it doesn't take into account game situations, the Devils were the better team for the first probably 40-45 and then they sat back a bit and Buffalo had a really good third period but the game was arguably iced at that point due to their finishing being horrid and the Devils hunkering down in their own. I wonder how some of these meters would've looked in the Devils heyday when they got leads and just did nothing offensively but nurse a lead lol

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
People think it was just analytics talking him into it but maybe he looked at his own film of the line two years ago when coaching against them, I mean that’s possible
It is just analytics

If it was based on hockey or game sense, theyd realize Hischier and Tatar have the chemistry and Mercer can be replaced with anyone and itd be even more productive

And Tatar could be replaced with someone better as well - Hischier does a lot of the heavy lifting here, in terms of possession

Leave Tatar and Hischier but add Meier

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I’m ready to rename the Deserve to Win O’Meter the Ruff-O-Matic 3000.
Funny thing is I’d watched the first half of the game then saw that thing posted I was like really? It certainly wasn’t a 3-1 Sabres advantage type of game till then. I’m sure a lot of that was a function of all the power plays we gave them, unless that becomes a longer term annoyance I’m not concerned.

I was worried about all the early wins last year cause it was all Jack and unsustainable power play success, when you’re up 3-0 early in the second and only gave up two or three great chances till then (one of them on Markstrom’s own turnover) I don’t want to hear about charts.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
The thing with that meter it doesn't take into account game situations, the Devils were the better team for the first probably 40-45 and then they sat back a bit and Buffalo had a really good third period but the game was arguably iced at that point due to their finishing being horrid and the Devils hunkering down in their own. I wonder how some of these meters would've looked in the Devils heyday when they got leads and just did nothing offensively but nurse a lead lol

That’s part of it but MoneyPuck’s xG model is also just really bad. They had Sabres ahead in xG after the first 2. I think it was like 55-45 Sabres. NST had it 55-45 Devils which definitely seemed more right to me. NST pretty much always lines up better with what I see over MoneyPuck

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto

where's the left to right graph version which shows the % at whatever time of game?

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
It isnt rocket science to realize whoever plays with Nico will have the better zone possession and advanced stats and whoever plays with Jack will have the better counting stats and zone exits/entries

Jesper-Nico-Meier could blow the Tatar-Mercer '22 advanced stats out of the water if they played together enough. Issue is you need Jesper with Jack then most likely, unless he carries tweenera

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
Keefe seems like the coach that would be doing a lot of extra homework.
Theres nothing wrong with running the line - whether by his own research or that of which the team had ready for him

The issue lies in the other line with Meier-Hughes-Bratt

Clearly, as of right now, the team is trying a true top-6 with a bit of a matchup third line. In those boundaries, you cannot run the Tatar-Hischier-Mercer line

If you want to run more of a spread-out top-9, you can keep Tatar-Hischier-Mercer

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
3 of the 4 best scoring opportunities were from the Devils - Noesen Goal, Hischier clean breakaway, Hamilton open net miss, and Aube-Kubel GOAT save.

Devils just gave them possession for the entire 3rd and kept clean coverage. Those stats aren't good at determining how well defended a shot is.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
3 of the 4 best scoring opportunities were from the Devils - Noesen Goal, Hischier clean breakaway, Hamilton open net miss, and Aube-Kubel GOAT save.

Devils just gave them possession for the entire 3rd and kept clean coverage. Those stats aren't good at determining how well defended a shot is.

Bratt’s chance in the 1st too. Sabres also had the great chance in the slot off of Markstrom’s giveaway

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad