We are living through the golden generations of sports and we don’t even know it

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
And not just limited to hockey.

In the last 25 years we’ve had

Schumaker
Hamilton
Verstappen

Agassi
Sampras
Federer
Nadal
Djokovic

Jordan
LeBron

Brady
Manning
Mahomes

Woods

Phelps
Bolt

Messi
Ronaldo

Bonds
Trout
Ohtani

Gretzky
Lemieux
Crosby
McDavid

Basically we’ve seen the GOAT in every sport (sometimes one upped by the next guy) or Top 5 players of all time all in the last 25 years.

We’re living through the golden generation of sports and we don’t even know it.
First, driving a car isnt a sport.

Second, there are like 10 better baseball players (that didnt use drugs) than the three you listed from prior generations.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Some guy who died in 1996 as an old man and started watching sports in 1918 could say at the end of his life "I saw Cobb, Ruth, Aaron, Mays, Clemente, Griffey Jr., Bonds, Morenz, Richard, Howe, Orr, Gretzky, Lemieux, Unitas, Montana, Favre, Rice, Payton, Chamberlain, Russell, Magic, Bird, Jordan and so forth, I lived through the golden generations of sports".

I mean every generation produces its own icons, if you live long enough you'll see a few generations of them.

That being said, I do think sports as we know them may be somewhat on borrowed time. Look at under 25 year olds today, the traditional sports aren't quite what they once were in terms of following and active participation.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Some guy who died in 1996 as an old man and started watching sports in 1918 could say at the end of his life "I saw Cobb, Ruth, Aaron, Mays, Clemente, Griffey Jr., Bonds, Morenz, Richard, Howe, Orr, Gretzky, Lemieux, Unitas, Montana, Favre, Rice, Payton, Chamberlain, Russell, Magic, Bird, Jordan and so forth, I lived through the golden generations of sports".

I mean every generation produces its own icons, if you live long enough you'll see a few generations of them.

That being said, I do think sports as we know them may be somewhat on borrowed time. Look at under 25 year olds today, the traditional sports aren't quite what they once were in terms of following and active participation.

Wait till anti/reverse aging drugs arrive and top end athletes can play into their 50s, maybe even 60s.

GrkFlyersFan

Jul 30, 2011
South Jersey
Fair point. The only GOAT we haven't seen is baseball. The GOAT is either Babe Ruth or Willie Mays and you'd have to be damn old to have seen either of them. I say it's the Babe, but even if Mays, you'd certainly have to have been old to have seen his prime. Gretzky, Jordan, Brady, I'm 35 and got to see all of them play. Bolt is the GOAT of track. Tennis is close, but it's one of three who are either still active or recently retired.

keglu

Jul 11, 2014
I’m willing to bet you that Tom Brady is much more known in every European non-traditional hockey country than any hockey player.
If Poland qualifies i would strongly disagree. Majority of people here know knothing about MLB or NFL.

Reactions: Faterson

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
Why stop at Gretzky? Babe Ruth, Gaius Appuleius Diocles, Spartacus, Thaegenes, Krog, just a fantastic generation.

• Haha
Reactions: Vasilevskiy

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Fair point. The only GOAT we haven't seen is baseball. The GOAT is either Babe Ruth or Willie Mays and you'd have to be damn old to have seen either of them. I say it's the Babe, but even if Mays, you'd certainly have to have been old to have seen his prime. Gretzky, Jordan, Brady, I'm 35 and got to see all of them play. Bolt is the GOAT of track. Tennis is close, but it's one of three who are either still active or recently retired.

Ohtani is doing things never done before. He's gonna be the GOAT.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
I’m willing to bet you that Tom Brady is much more known in every European non-traditional hockey country than any hockey player.

I would find that difficult to believe. More likely, most Europeans outside of hockey countries have never heard of either Tom Brady or Wayne Gretzky (let alone Connor McDavid, etc.). That's just the way it is... 😢

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad