We are living through the golden generations of sports and we don’t even know it

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
And not just limited to hockey.

In the last 25 years we’ve had

Schumaker
Hamilton
Verstappen

Agassi
Sampras
Federer
Nadal
Djokovic

Jordan
LeBron

Brady
Manning
Mahomes

Woods

Phelps
Bolt

Messi
Ronaldo

Bonds
Trout
Ohtani

Gretzky
Lemieux
Crosby
McDavid

Basically we’ve seen the GOAT in every sport (sometimes one upped by the next guy) or Top 5 players of all time all in the last 25 years.

We’re living through the golden generation of sports and we don’t even know it.

pi314

Jun 10, 2017
Windsor, ON
Don’t forget this guy who had 4 TDs in one game.

IMG_8530.jpeg

vocks10

Jan 28, 2011
Fairbanks, AK
Don’t forget this guy who had 4 TDs in one game.

View attachment 908100
Or the biggest should'a, could'a would'a in modern sports.

1726790460298.png

But in all seriousness, the last 30 years has seen some incredible athletes. Obviously, this discussion can venture down the road of equipment, training, nutrition discussion and what role those have played to produce that number of exceptional athletes.

Or we can just enjoy the shows they put on. I vote for #2.

Reactions: pi314

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Sponsor
Jul 13, 2022
Finland
I think it's less about the players/GOATs, and more about the sports still being "pure", to some degree, even if there's been a lot of evolution.

Give it another 30 years and I wonder if we'll still recognize the same sports as they are now.

Old man yelling at clouds, I know...

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I’m seeing Wayne Gretzky on that list, and he was in GOAT mode in the mid 80s.
We still got to watch him play in the last 30 years.

Gretzky started his NHL career 45 years ago. He may have retired in 1999 but you're spanning multiple generations of players here.
If you want to nitpick then we can take him off the list. It’s still an incredible list.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I would say the golden age was probably 1979-2000 or so to be honest (arrival of Gretzky in the NHL, Magic/Bird in the NBA, 85 and 86 brings us Michael Jordan and Mario Lemieux) but this era ain't bad.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Don’t think we are living through the “golden generations”, we are just witnessing natural evolution in sports

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Brady
Manning
Mahomes

Bonds
Trout
Ohtani

I have literally never heard the names of Bonds, Trout and Mahomes until this moment, and have no clue who they might be. I guess I could google them, but... I suppose they're "golden", too. :o

(The names Brady, Manning, and Ohtami are extremely vague for me – I can barely guess which sport they might be playing in, and I can guarantee you that most Europeans have never head these names, and hearing them would draw a blank stare out of them. Hell, my own mother shocked me recently when she said she had no idea who Usain Bolt is...)

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
And not just limited to hockey.

In the last 25 years we’ve had

Schumaker
Hamilton
Verstappen

Agassi
Sampras
Federer
Nadal
Djokovic

Jordan
LeBron

Brady
Manning
Mahomes

Woods

Phelps
Bolt

Messi
Ronaldo

Bonds
Trout
Ohtani

Gretzky
Lemieux
Crosby
McDavid

Basically we’ve seen the GOAT in every sport (sometimes one upped by the next guy) or Top 5 players of all time all in the last 25 years.

We’re living through the golden generation of sports and we don’t even know it.

An age is like 10 years. Mcdavid was 2 when Gretsky retired

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Move another 50 years forward and we'll have all sorts of star athletes that make today's great athletes look like bozos

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Golden generation... maybe

You could bring back folks from the 30s-70s who passed away and they would say their generation was the best for sports and athletes (Howe, Morenez, Shore, Mikita, plante, Sawerchuk , Bobby Hull, etc)

30-50 years from now when a lot of us will be old as dirt or buried beneath the dirt, the next generation will be seeing their era as the golden age

Its all subjective. Enjoy life and sports as.you live, be happy you got to watch who you did, and respect those who came and paved the way for game to get to this point and respect those working to get the game to next level

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad