We are living through the golden generations of sports and we don’t even know it

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Ohtani is doing things never done before. He's gonna be the GOAT.
He's going to have to do them for another ten years to even have an argument.

Doing more things is not inherently more valuable than doing the most important thing best.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
Ohtani is doing things never done before. He's gonna be the GOAT.
To me it will always be Ruth. He literally changed the way the game was played. He hit more HRs than entire teams in a single season.

From 1915-1935 Ruth himself hit more HR’s than the entire Red Sox team combined! Just think about that. He was on a completely different level during his time period.

But Ohtani is certainly something with pitching and hitting. Ruth was actually a good pitcher too, but stopped.

For pitching, i think Koufax was the best all time. Especially since he pitched injured alot. He was just incredible.

Also: i disagree with this entire premise. I think we are actually watching some of the worst period of sports outside of hockey.

Hockey- the game is probably played at the best level ever. Tenacious, quick, a good amount of goals.

MLB- the golden age was probably in the 50’s-60’s, but to MLB credit they are trying to quicken up the pace of play. But still too many strikeouts and lack of action. Batting avgs and balls in play were much higher than now.

Basketball- probably the 90’s were the golden age. Defense was still important, there was an inside game with great centers, more contact was allowed and the game was not just 3ball or dunk. The pro game is definitely worse to watch now. I used to love the pro game but i can only watch college bbal now.

Football- NFL football was probably at its peak in the late 90’s/early 2000’s, but the 70’s through the 90’s all had memorable runs. The game revolves around passing now, QB play has been kind of atrocious for the most part outside of a few, penalties galore, tackling technique is garbage and the game itself got wussified. Also with colleges going through NIL and constant transfers players are less and less ready to make the jump, especially QBs.

Last edited:
Reactions: HolyHagelin

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Today’s baseball is unwatchable trash.
The NBA golden era was mid-80’s thru late 90’s.
The golden age of tennis ended recently; it’s for sure not happening now.
The hockey is great, but I preferred a 26-team league and enjoyed the early 90’s with Mario, Hull, Yzerman, etc.
Soccer/NFL - don’t watch either to have an opinion.

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
First, driving a car isnt a sport.
Tell me you don't know the fist thing about Formula One without telling me you don't know anything about F1.

Please, educate yourself about other sports before making a fool out of yourself.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
To me it will always be Ruth. He literally changed the way the game was played. He hit more HRs than entire teams in a single season.

From 1915-1935 Ruth himself hit more HR’s than the entire Red Sox team combined! Just think about that. He was on a completely different level during his time period.

But Ohtani is certainly something with pitching and hitting. Ruth was actually a good pitcher too, but stopped.

For pitching, i think Koufax was the best all time. Especially since he pitched injured alot. He was just incredible.

The biggest reason why Ruth stopped pitching is that the DH rule didn't exist until 1973, so he couldn't just hit on days he wasn't pitching. With his hitting being on a completely different level, and his pitching "only" being among the top 10-15 in the league, having him play OF every game instead of pitching every 4th or 5th game in the rotation was a much bigger advantage for his team.

Ruth also played in an era when starters were expected to pitch the whole game, and had 107 complete games in 147 career starts while pitching over 300 innings in two different seasons. I know people were allegedly tougher back then, but that workload had to take a toll on his arm, which would make it difficult to be an effective OF on his off-days.

Ohtani, on the other hand, is the first of the modern era to do it, but he's pitching ~150 innings in a season and doesn't have to play defense on his off-days to get at-bats.

Reactions: Ruggs225

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
Born too late to explore the world.

Born too early to explore the stars.

Born just in time to explore legalized sports betting and spend $149 a month on streaming apps.
Needs a “hopelessly sobbing into my beer” react

Also: i disagree with this entire premise. I think we are actually watching some of the worst period of sports outside of hockey.

Hockey- the game is probably played at the best level ever. Tenacious, quick, a good amount of goals.

MLB- the golden age was probably in the 50’s-60’s, but to MLB credit they are trying to quicken up the pace of play. But still too many strikeouts and lack of action. Batting avgs and balls in play were much higher than now.

Basketball- probably the 90’s were the golden age. Defense was still important, there was an inside game with great centers, more contact was allowed and the fame was just 3ball or dunk. The pro game is definitely worse to watch now. I used to love the pro game but i can only watch college bbal now.

Football- NFL football was probably at its peak in the late 90’s/early 2000’s, but the 70’s through the 90’s all had memorable runs. The game revolves around passing now, QB play has been kind of atrocious for the most part outside of a few, penalties galore, tackling technique is garbage and the game itself got wussified. Also with colleges going through NIL and constant transfers players are less and less ready to make the jump, especially QBs.
+1

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
I’m pretty sure everyone thinks they’ve witnessed the golden age in their lifetime when it comes to sports.
Sports is a full-time job now, these players are brought from children studying the game on every level, going to offseason camps, never really stopping training and learning the fundamental strategies earlier than ever. It's no wonder players are better than ever and the line between bottom six and top liner is smaller than ever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad