Status
Not open for further replies.

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
Congratulations to you and your family!

My daughter is a lawyer and she tells us all the time how bad it is to keep posting pics of your kids online, for many reasons. It makes sense to me, as much as we all love to see pics of babies and kids, they certainly don't have to be on public domains. Good for you for standing your ground!

Thanks mate :)

Oops - wrong quote, head is in the clouds - thank you was meant for @Johnny Upton lol

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
Congratulations to @NeelyDan & Mrs. NeelyDan on the birth of their future 2042 Bruins draft pick :hockey: 👶

Early scouting report is that he's an old school styled left wing who put up 88 goals and 398 minutes in penalties in his final amateur season, capped off by a 33 game suspension for touching off a line brawl and then fighting not once, but twice, after depositing an official in the penalty box and wedging a stick into the door to prevent escape**

he was signed to his first junior contract the next day

**oops, that was Dad

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Early scouting report is that he's an old school styled left wing who put up 88 goals and 398 minutes in penalties in his final amateur season, capped off by a 33 game suspension for touching off a line brawl and then fighting not once, but twice, after depositing an official in the penalty box and wedging a stick into the door to prevent escape**

he was signed to his first junior contract the next day

**oops, that was Dad

Wow. My kinda player!

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Well….the cicadas finally showed up this week. My bulldog is a big fan. Our tree is like a giant snack bar for him. He just picks 1 or 2 off whenever he wants something to munch on. My wife is appalled…

Attachments

• IMG_0013.jpeg
    IMG_0013.jpeg
    502.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0014.jpeg
    IMG_0014.jpeg
    584 KB · Views: 2

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
I honestly don't know how people live in tornado alley without major anxiety. We get maybe one tornado warning a summer and a few tornado watches but the ones that usually touch down are in the lower F categories. The monsters that form in the mid-west are terrifying. They fascinate me but I would never want to be anywhere near one.

Reactions: Ladyfan and BMC

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Speaking of storms, got a good solid thunderstorm here this morning. Cooled it right off

This was the shelf cloud that rolled through. So cool

full

I took this one with my actual camera

full

• Wow
Reactions: caz16 and BMC

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I honestly don't know how people live in tornado alley without major anxiety. We get maybe one tornado warning a summer and a few tornado watches but the ones that usually touch down are in the lower F categories. The monsters that form in the mid-west are terrifying. They fascinate me but I would never want to be anywhere near one..
The storm anxiety is real. I despise the nocturnal threats but even after 2 months (and a good talk with my psych), I am a lot calmer about them because I can take my anxiety meds earlier than normal to take the edge off.

It is important for people to know that we get many days notice before the storms actually form. Not every place sees a storm either so it could look and feel like a storm is coming only for it to fizzle out or stay north/south/west of where we are. There are people who have lived here all their lives and have never seen a tornado.

We are in the height of tornado season right now so we have a chance of storms from now until Saturday with a chance early next week. They are estimating they will come between 12-8pm so we have plenty of time to prep and put things in the shelter. Preparedness really helps with the anxiety. You get used to determining what is the most important items are to pack. We had a good lesson in how quickly things can turn on Sunday night when two storms joined and took a run at the OKC Metro. The good thing is that we had well over an hour to prepare and all of the things that go in the shelter are either already there or in the drop zone just inside the house. Got the adrenaline running a bit but luckily the storms stayed north of us so we weren't in the shelter with the door closed for more than 10 minutes max.

Bottom line is that you pay attention to the weather and you follow the preparedness tips the meteorologists give out and you will be ok. The biggest misconception I can dispell right now is that you are NOT supposed to wait until the sirens sound to start preparing. Tornado watch means keep tabs on the weather (turn the news on) and start implementing your tornado plan. If you absolutely have to run an errand, do it early and as close to home as possible. If you're at work, know where your safe area is. A warning means get into the shelter and put on the news (they livestream on their news apps/youtube/facebook). The sirens are only to alert anyone outside of an impending storm. You can't rely on them b/c they could be damaged or the power could be out.

The lack of basements in Tornado areas always surprised me.
You really can't have a basement here because of the red clay dirt and the shifting it can cause with the foundation. It is like dust when really dry and hard as a rock when saturated. There are some that have basements and they have water issues. Most people put in storm shelters in their slab in the garage as a compromise. My mom has an above ground shelter built into the house and my sister's shelter is built under the garage. My mom's shelter is rated to withstand an EF5 tornado and is very secure.

My apartment complex was built using reinforced concrete for all the stairwells so that's where I will go once I move into my new place.

It all goes back to being weather aware and being prepared.

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
The storm anxiety is real. I despise the nocturnal threats but even after 2 months (and a good talk with my psych), I am a lot calmer about them because I can take my anxiety meds earlier than normal to take the edge off.

It is important for people to know that we get many days notice before the storms actually form. Not every place sees a storm either so it could look and feel like a storm is coming only for it to fizzle out or stay north/south/west of where we are. There are people who have lived here all their lives and have never seen a tornado.

We are in the height of tornado season right now so we have a chance of storms from now until Saturday with a chance early next week. They are estimating they will come between 12-8pm so we have plenty of time to prep and put things in the shelter. Preparedness really helps with the anxiety. You get used to determining what is the most important items are to pack. We had a good lesson in how quickly things can turn on Sunday night when two storms joined and took a run at the OKC Metro. The good thing is that we had well over an hour to prepare and all of the things that go in the shelter are either already there or in the drop zone just inside the house. Got the adrenaline running a bit but luckily the storms stayed north of us so we weren't in the shelter with the door closed for more than 10 minutes max.

Bottom line is that you pay attention to the weather and you follow the preparedness tips the meteorologists give out and you will be ok. The biggest misconception I can dispell right now is that you are NOT supposed to wait until the sirens sound to start preparing. Tornado watch means keep tabs on the weather (turn the news on) and start implementing your tornado plan. If you absolutely have to run an errand, do it early and as close to home as possible. If you're at work, know where your safe area is. A warning means get into the shelter and put on the news (they livestream on their news apps/youtube/facebook). The sirens are only to alert anyone outside of an impending storm. You can't rely on them b/c they could be damaged or the power could be out.

You really can't have a basement here because of the red clay dirt and the shifting it can cause with the foundation. It is like dust when really dry and hard as a rock when saturated. There are some that have basements and they have water issues. Most people put in storm shelters in their slab in the garage as a compromise. My mom has an above ground shelter built into the house and my sister's shelter is built under the garage. My mom's shelter is rated to withstand an EF5 tornado and is very secure.

My apartment complex was built using reinforced concrete for all the stairwells so that's where I will go once I move into my new place.

It all goes back to being weather aware and being prepared.
Yea that makes sense.

Its also probably why homes out there are so much bigger. We have so much shit crammed into the basement + a living room we can get away with 1200sf. If we had no basement, no idea where that would go. My cousins who moved to Florida thought the attic was the solution but some of their things legit melted.

Reactions: Alicat

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Yea that makes sense.

Its also probably why homes out there are so much bigger. We have so much shit crammed into the basement + a living room we can get away with 1200sf. If we had no basement, no idea where that would go. My cousins who moved to Florida thought the attic was the solution but some of their things legit melted.
Everything here, at least new build, are all ranch style homes which is why they look so much bigger. On the other side of town you see more bungalow style homes that are on densly packed streets. The difference between the original neighborhoods and the expansion is eye opening.

We have an attic but like your cousin in FL, they are very hot so you really can't store a lot of stuff up there especially in the summer. You will instantly sweat just opening the attic door. I'm amazed nothing in the garage melts b/c even that is increadibly hot in the summer.

I need to get a sun shade for my car b/c I really don't want to burn my legs after going to the stor or an appointment.

Reactions: caz16

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
I honestly don't know how people live in tornado alley without major anxiety. We get maybe one tornado warning a summer and a few tornado watches but the ones that usually touch down are in the lower F categories. The monsters that form in the mid-west are terrifying. They fascinate me but I would never want to be anywhere near one.
Its not for me to say what people should our shouldn't have anxiety over. But my family has been living in the plains states since 1870 and I've spent most of my life in the Midwest. From my perspective, tornados are just a part of life. My family is 5 generations of farmers, and we've always kept our eyes on weather patterns, as our livelihood depends on it. Tornados are just part of the game. We definitely take it seriously and take the necessary precautions, but I can't say its ever been a source of stress. I'd probably equate it to the same attitude people in the SE have towards Hurricanes. Agree or disagree, that's just how it is.

Probably been in, or seen a half dozen tornados in my lifetime. Some closer than I'd like. First one I remember well was this one..

I was 10, and it was the 4th of July evening. My brother and I were having a blast shooting off fireworks in the street when my grandmother made us come inside and we had to get down in the cellar. We weren't happy about that because we were having fun. Lucky for us, that tornado dissipated before it got to our town, but I remember going to Elgin the next day with my cousin (he was a volunteer fireman). The destruction was incredible, and I'll always remember that water tower laying on its side, but the thing I'll never forget was the smell. Everything smelled like freshly turned soil.

Had another experience driving back to my grandmother's house. I was with my wife and my 2 oldest kids who were probably 4-6 at the time. We were driving south on US83 through farm country around 10pm. Lots of lightning. Suddenly I see a big funnel come down in a pasture a couple hundred yards to my left. Every time the lightning flashed, you could see it clear as day. I didn't want to make my wife or kids upset so I didn't say anything and kept going. I figured I was heading south and the tornado was east of me, so we'd be fine......and we were.

I thought my wife had no idea, which was fine by me. Then when we were getting ready for bed, she says to me "so, did you see that big funnel when we were driving home tonight?" She saw it too but didn't want to upset the kids so she didn't say anything either.....They never had any idea.

Last edited:

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
If you've never experienced a tornado, the idea of it is terrifying. Same with a tsunami, an earthquake, pretty much anything that seems foreign. For people who live in tornado alley, its part of life, like northerners (supposedly) knowing how to drive in ice and snow. Put someone from a sunshine state in the middle of a Nor'easter and ask them to drive to the store and they'd probably shit their pants.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
If you've never experienced a tornado, the idea of it is terrifying. Same with a tsunami, an earthquake, pretty much anything that seems foreign. For people who live in tornado alley, its part of life, like northerners (supposedly) knowing how to drive in ice and snow. Put someone from a sunshine state in the middle of a Nor'easter and ask them to drive to the store and they'd probably shit their pants.

Seen it first hand. A freak dusting of snow in Charlotte NC when I was in college. Two southerner roommates wouldn't step outside, never mind drive. Myself and my roommate from NJ said we'd go for a beer run, both southerners freaked out and called us crazy. I replied "Crazy? Shit, I'm not even going to lock the hubs." (I drove a Jeep). Mind you, this beer "run" was 1/8th mile away at an on-campus convenience store.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I've been through 1 tornado. I was driving home from softball practice. The sky turned black, I'd never seen anything like it before. Then the lightning & rain came, even with my wipers turned on all the way I couldn't see. Then I heard it, it was a really loud roar. I remembered reading somewhere that if you got caught on a highway when a tornado comes to pull over under the nearest overpass and that's what I did. Never saw the funnel. A few days later I went by a client's farm and saw the path the funnel had taken through the corn fields. NWS later confirmed it was an E1. That was bad enough I hope I never experience a larger one.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I've been through 1 tornado. I was driving home from softball practice. The sky turned black, I'd never seen anything like it before. Then the lightning & rain came, even with my wipers turned on all the way I couldn't see. Then I heard it, it was a really loud roar. I remembered reading somewhere that if you got caught on a highway when a tornado comes to pull over under the nearest overpass and that's what I did. Never saw the funnel. A few days later I went by a client's farm and saw the path the funnel had taken through the corn fields. NWS later confirmed it was an E1. That was bad enough I hope I never experience a larger one.
as long as it's not under the overpass..... that's a fairly common misperception

Reactions: Alicat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad