GDT: WCSF | VI | "Because It's The Cusp" | Oilers vs. Canucks | 5.18.24 | 6:00PM | SN/CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Anyone else annoyed with the narrative around our team compared to Vancouver? I get that the odds makers had Edmonton as the favorite but the Canucks won the division. Then on top of that the fans complain about how they don't have their starting goaltenders, like Silovs didn't stand on his head? McDavid has some sort of upper body injury, Draisaitl and Kane playing through injuries, Ekholm with his illness and Henrique hasn't played all series.

Both teams are injured. Pettersson obviously has something going on in the past few months, Hronek hasn't taken a full slap shot in almost half a year, Hughes hasn't been himself since being banged up by the Predators.

No one plays at 100% in the playoffs.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
So if the Oilers go out, then it means another year where the high paid superstars are gone early.

The well balanced teams are the ones who go further.

This makes sense due to how the games are called in the playoffs. They slash, hack, cross-check, charge, trip, etc. the stars. One team has their 12 milion dollar player beat on while the well-balanced team has their cheaper stars targeted. Win/win for the cheaper stars team. An unfortunate side effect of the cap is that Superstars may not win a cup for a while with the current rules.

The last goal McDavid scored he was hacked/tripped and subsequently crashed heavily into the boards. No call. Assaulted by two goons after the game? One game suspension. Draisaitl? He probably doesn't have much of a back left due to all the illegal cross checks.

No wonder they are injured. No wonder they might not win a cup. They rarely make it to the end of the second round healthy.
Good post.
This has been a beef of mine for years now. This playoff brand of hockey the NHL is so proud of is essentially a dumbing down of the game. The way they call playoff games is a leveling of talent.
It elevates the bottom 6 player and it handicaps the elite players.
There is really no other way to look at this IMO.

I have never understood why the NHL feels its beneficial to allow for things in the playoffs that it would never allow for in the regular season.
Things that deter the talent in the League from elevating the game.
It becomes a slog fest by and large and the only players that benefit from that are primarily lesser players.

How does it benefit the game to allow this level of interference on McDavid and other star players (and 90% of it isnt called)?

How does this make the game better?
Its a mystery to me.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Both teams are injured. Pettersson obviously has something going on in the past few months, Hronek hasn't taken a full slap shot in almost half a year, Hughes hasn't been himself since being banged up by the Predators.

No one plays at 100% in the playoffs.

Petterson and Hughes are just the type of players that are easy to shut down in the playoffs. Only one backpack (if necessary) instead of 2+ for McDavid

Preds were a pushover

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Good post.
This has been a beef of mine for years now. This playoff brand of hockey the NHL is so proud of is essentially a dumbing down of the game. The way they call playoff games is a leveling of talent.
It elevates the bottom 6 player and it handicaps the elite players.
There is really no other way to look at this IMO.

I have never understood why the NHL feels its beneficial to allow for things in the playoffs that it would never allow for in the regular season.
Things that deter the talent in the League from elevating the game.
It becomes a slog fest by and large and the only players that benefit from that are primarily lesser players.

How does it benefit the game to allow this level of interference on McDavid and other star players (and 90% of it isnt called)?

How does this make the game better?
Its a mystery to me.
What is a mystery to us is Gary's wet dream. Parity above all else and dragging stars down to the level of the lowest common denominator is the goal.

Reactions: guymez and TB12

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
You need to show more respect to the Predators man. Oilers would have been in a hell of a fight if they had faced the Predators.

They would have demolished the Preds like they did the Kings. I know your fanbase feels so great about the miracle comebacks vs a team that can't score but it's a ridiculous narrative. They only made a WC spot because of their one hot streak and no one else wanted the spot. The Kings have been a perennial playoff team since their retool. Oilers made them look bad because they literally own them and can dissect the 1-3-1. Kings would have beat the Canucks

Also, why do you continue to insist on posting in our threads? It's beyond f***ing annoying.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Personally, I do my Costco run on a mid-week evening shortly before closing. I'm in and out in 15 mins and the gas lines are completely gone. My car takes premium, so definitely worth it for me. There are some other stations around with slightly cheaper prices right now, but they always seem to have crazy lines themselves lately.
Smart man. That is the perfect time to go both for gas and shopping. Added benefit of the people that are only there to stuff their faces with samples and clog up the aisles aren't around.

Reactions: ManOfSteelI

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
They would have demolished the Preds like they did the Kings. I know your fanbase feels so great about the miracle comebacks vs a team that can't score but it's a ridiculous narrative. They only made a WC spot because of their one hot streak and no one else wanted the spot. The Kings have been a perennial playoff team since their retool. Oilers made them look bad because they literally own them and can dissect the 1-3-1. Kings would have beat the Canucks

Also, why do you continue to insist on posting in our threads? It's beyond f***ing annoying.

I'm here to discuss hockey.

I do agree the Kings would have been a bad match up for the Canucks, that's why winning the division was a huge deal IMO.

Match ups matter, I guess we won't know how Oilers vs Predators would be like unless it happens next year.

Yablo21

Jul 24, 2006
Beersbie
For professional athletes who are supposedly on healthy lifestyle regimens, this team sure does get sick a lot.
High intensity physical activity actually lowers your immune protection in the short term, athletes get sicker easier when they are giving it all.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
I'm here to discuss hockey.

I do agree the Kings would have been a bad match up for the Canucks, that's why winning the division was a huge deal IMO.

Match ups matter, I guess we won't know how Oilers vs Predators would be like unless it happens next year.

Then take it to the mains.

You might be unaware of this, but given that your previous posts here have been deleted by mods, I can't see how you can claim ignorance, but we are not required to discuss hockey with outsiders on our own boards. This also applies to posters from other fanbases going into your boards. I'm not going to read or reply to the rest of your post as I'm not encouraging further discussion here

Please respect this and move on.

BIeucheeseWithWings

Jul 9, 2022
Just listened to the Got Yer Back pod from last night. They spoke about physicality. Rishaug’s take based on his interviews he has had with Knoblauch is he doesn’t put a premium on it. He played another clip of Knoblauch’s response with Rishaug questioned him on it. The take is that Knob places checking with your legs and sticks and the necessarily the body. This, to me, ins concerning. Does he not watch NHL playoffs?
Physical play should be a focus for every Oiler; regardless if their coach is a passive pansy. Sure, the focus on hits may not be emphasized as heavily compared to their opposition, but where is the pride from the players? If you are presented with an opportunity to use your body, take it. You don't have to take yourself out of position for a hit, but don't ignore the chance to lay someone out because your coach doesn't see it as an important part of their game.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
At least we know Skinner always plays lights out after getting rest.

Oh wait!
Haha yeah man did he ever tear it up in game 1. Really hope this guy magically comes out and plays well. Actually would love all the Skinner lovers to tell us to eat shit after this game and the next. "SEEEEEEE I TOLD YOU SKINNER IS AWESOME YOU SKINNER HATERS SUCK IT" "You all know NOTHING about goaltending" "Skinner got the team here and he's the #1" Here's hoping but I'm not confident.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Pickard is the back up. His role has been to be a stable force when the starter needs a day or two off.

He came in and did his job perfectly. Now it's Skinner's turn to come in and be lights out for us like we've seen before.
And he got the Oilers to game 6. If this is the case, why haven’t the Canucks gone to DeSmith as he’s the NHL goalie. They’re playing the guy that has given them the best chance to win, that’s why. In 3 starts this series Skinner has a sub .800 save percentage. Pickard .901 in his two starts. Skinner has seen 58 shots in three games, Pickard 56 in his two games. Now ask yourself, who gives your team the better chance to win.

Bold: When was that? Game 4 against LA I’ll give him. Most other times in the playoffs, they’ve won in spite of his play, not because of it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad