GDT: WCSF | VI | "Because It's The Cusp" | Oilers vs. Canucks | 5.18.24 | 6:00PM | SN/CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
So if the Oilers go out, then it means another year where the high paid superstars are gone early.

The well balanced teams are the ones who go further.

This makes sense due to how the games are called in the playoffs. They slash, hack, cross-check, charge, trip, etc. the stars. One team has their 12 milion dollar player beat on while the well-balanced team has their cheaper stars targeted. Win/win for the cheaper stars team. An unfortunate side effect of the cap is that Superstars may not win a cup for a while with the current rules.

The last goal McDavid scored he was hacked/tripped and subsequently crashed heavily into the boards. No call. Assaulted by two goons after the game? One game suspension. Draisaitl? He probably doesn't have much of a back left due to all the illegal cross checks.

No wonder they are injured. No wonder they might not win a cup. They rarely make it to the end of the second round healthy.
I think enough functional toughness can mitigate this. Kane is alright but he’s getting old and always seems hurt. Kostin helped a lot but even then, we could have used a couple more guys like that.

Hurt our stars? Fine we’ll turn it up and hurt your whole team. But we can’t really threaten teams that way with this roster.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Anyone else annoyed with the narrative around our team compared to Vancouver? I get that the odds makers had Edmonton as the favorite but the Canucks won the division. Then on top of that the fans complain about how they don't have their starting goaltenders, like Silovs didn't stand on his head? McDavid has some sort of upper body injury, Draisaitl and Kane playing through injuries, Ekholm with his illness and Henrique hasn't played all series.
Demko is their best player though I think is the argument.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Costco is one of the most miserable places on earth.

Whenever I go in there I get the “people can hear you swearing at them you know” from my wife

That place brings out the worst in me

Yeah, this is me too.

Costco is not congruent with my shopping philosophy of "grab and get the f*** out ASAP". I swear people go down the middle of the aisle on purpose. The Costco gas stations make me want to seppuku as well. No one knows how to back in to the front spot and block people from leaving half the time. Made the mistake of calling some lady out about that and I thought she was going to have a heart attack she got so mad :laugh:

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
I'm feeling 80/20 the Oilers win this series starting Skinner. 20 that Oilers win. Was feeling 50/50 with Pickard. Have to wait and see how it unfolds now, will be pleasantly surprised if they can win both but feels like they'll need to score 10 goals.

ManOfSteelI

Nov 5, 2018
Yeah I have no idea how people go to Costco for gas. There is a 711 by my house I fill up at and never have a line.

Going to Costco for gas and waiting 45 minutes seems like the most Ken Holland type thing to do.
Personally, I do my Costco run on a mid-week evening shortly before closing. I'm in and out in 15 mins and the gas lines are completely gone. My car takes premium, so definitely worth it for me. There are some other stations around with slightly cheaper prices right now, but they always seem to have crazy lines themselves lately.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
I feel this sentiment my friend. The depiction of Costco in idiocracy is I'd say pretty apt.

Hey, if going to the gasbar to "save money" make sure you have a full tank to not run out of gas in the lineup. jk

I hardly go to their gas station anymore, the girl goes every time and I simply can't be bothered. Nearest Costco is 15 minutes away (was 5 minutes at the old house so was worth it). Just not worth dealing with the gongshow parking lot, wait and headache to save a few bucks.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
So take this for what it's worth, and Mods can DM me if they want. I can confirm, from what I've heard, there IS a Flu going through the team.

Explains, some what, the effort last game and McDavid's lack of legs. It's not meant as an excuse, just a thing happening.

To be fair, it kind of is an excuse. Unfortunately the NHL and opposition don't care because it's not something they would delay / reschedule a game for. I think they could have won game 5 if they weren't sick

Hate to spew cope but this series has been a big asterisk so far. Last year's second round felt like they could control a lot more of their fate than this one.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Best fans, best GMs and best coaches wink thingy…

Melt down if we won and lost and then went with Skinner in GM 7.

This cup or bust reminder doesn’t sound too good. Tells me money won’t matter.

Expect them to be at their best! Go gettem boys!

If they want to blame the org they can also shoulder part of the blame in wanting to keep inferior buddies around like Ceci. Won't be easy for them to have a contender built around them in a cap world. There's no way any established one could fit both of them in either

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
So take this for what it's worth, and Mods can DM me if they want. I can confirm, from what I've heard, there IS a Flu going through the team.

Explains, some what, the effort last game and McDavid's lack of legs. It's not meant as an excuse, just a thing happening.
I mean that should be apparent just listening to the pressers. Our guys aren’t losing their voices cheering themselves.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Anyone else annoyed with the narrative around our team compared to Vancouver? I get that the odds makers had Edmonton as the favorite but the Canucks won the division. Then on top of that the fans complain about how they don't have their starting goaltenders, like Silovs didn't stand on his head? McDavid has some sort of upper body injury, Draisaitl and Kane playing through injuries, Ekholm with his illness and Henrique hasn't played all series.

I'm a million times annoyed by this, particularly with the dickhead media cheerleading the Nucks the entire time. The Oilers are the statistical underdogs. Maybe if the season was 100 games and they were able to wrestle first from the Canucks (and win some games against them). The Oilers have the more ill & injured roster. This is no David & Goliath scenario like the media and their fans are making it to be, good grief.

Reactions: McDoused

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
I think enough functional toughness can mitigate this. Kane is alright but he’s getting old and always seems hurt. Kostin helped a lot but even then, we could have used a couple more guys like that.

Hurt our stars? Fine we’ll turn it up and hurt your whole team. But we can’t really threaten teams that way with this roster.
We could threaten other teams with playing aggressively if the coach made them do it. I personally don't think there's much difference in size between our two teams. The difference is their coach makes them do it and our coaches have allowed our players to be soft. Every play on the board for years has our guy slowing up, leaning back, and reaching in with his stick. Was once just Nuge and now its everyone. Hit avoidance all game long.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
So if the Oilers go out, then it means another year where the high paid superstars are gone early.

This makes sense due to how the games are called in the playoffs. They slash, hack, cross-check, charge, trip, etc. the stars. One team has their 12 milion dollar player beat on while the well-balanced team has their cheaper stars targeted. Win/win for the cheaper stars team. An unfortunate side effect of the cap is that Superstars may not win a cup for a while with the current rules.

The last goal McDavid scored he was hacked/tripped and subsequently crashed heavily into the boards. No call. Assaulted by two goons after the game? One game suspension. Draisaitl? He probably doesn't have much of a back left due to all the illegal cross checks.

No wonder they are injured. No wonder they might not win a cup. They rarely make it to the end of the second round healthy.

This league hates superstars. The Cap is a mixed blessing in making it both easier and more difficult for smaller markets. They have to pay a premium for a player still but can't face 10s of millions higher roster...unless that opponent cheats the cap like we've seen with Tampa and Vegas.

Unfortunately you're better off with cap going towards quality depth than a handful of guys taking 1/3 to half of the cap (just ask Toronto). You absolutely need to be able to run the table with underpaid depth if you have higher paid players. Avs won the Cup in 2022 because MacKinnon was severely underpaid (of course Leon is too) and they had a bunch of guys on value and expiring contracts. That team had ridiculous depth but still had a hole in goal.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
California Closets must be flying off the shelves..these posts write themselves. Full of puns.

Wonder how much they paid for that marketing.

"Hey, lets put our name behind some popular reliable goalie"

regret remorse

Never been there, for sure never will now. What an awful commercial and marketing decision.
On sheer principle I can't trust their product. haha

ps I didn't write any of these reviews. Shit company has shit spokesman. Closets fall apart if you look too closely. Products can be worse than they appear. We take responsibility for no defects.

"worst experience ever" lol

"California Closets should be considered a scam" haha, this all fits now, except the closets, or Skinner rarely fit anywhere.

Last edited:

NedPlimpton

Mar 23, 2013
Near Fantastica
I suppose the plus side to starting Skinner is the rest of the team should be prepared to have to score more goals to make up for it. Hopefully that means everyone gets going.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
We go out tonight and its ends the same old crap next year I wouldn’t be surprised to see Drai walk when his contract is up. Thing is, with the debate about keeping multiple stars and the cap I wonder if they even can keep him. Anyway let’s win the next 2 games.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010

Man, how did the stars back in the 80s and 90s win cups? It was a blood bath every night back then.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Skinner starting?
I imagine he's on a 2 goal leash, but ballsy move by Knob.

Just wish they'd make some other ballsy moves with the lineup instead of it just being the goalies. Is Henrique confirmed or was that just speculation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad