Series Talk: WCSF Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers. (Series tied 3-3)

You prediction for this series?

• Vancouver in 7

Votes: 190 16.9%
  • Vancouver in 6

Votes: 191 17.0%
  • Vancouver in 5

Votes: 46 4.1%
  • Vancouver in 4

Votes: 40 3.6%
  • Edmonton in 7

Votes: 82 7.3%
  • Edmonton in 6

Votes: 362 32.2%
  • Edmonton in 5

Votes: 174 15.5%
  • Edmonton in 4

Votes: 40 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
IMG_6101.jpeg

Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers
WCSF

***Mod notes***

We understand this will be an intense series filled with emotions. We ask that you refrain from personal attacks towards others members, fans, and cities.

If you feel someone is baiting or trolling you, please report it rather than reply. Thank you.

Last edited:

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
As a neutral fan I can’t see how you can objectively say “that’s it”. The oil do have more experience no doubt. Also, imo, more grit but that’s quite subjective and who knows if they use it to their fullest extent/advantage.
That’s fair Agree on the experience. The question is whether that really matters.
Canucks also have the likely Norris and Jack Adams winners. And one of the best 3rd lines in the league.
There’s advantages both ways imo.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
We beat you guys 4 straight this year. And LA had our number. You can throw the regular season out the window.
I think you’re exaggerating how good the Oilers are. We will see.
I’d have the Oilers as slight favourites with Demko injured. But it’s not like either team is a top contender like Dallas or Colorado. Both teams have had fairly favourable draws so far.
DK, laugh all you want as you're wont to do, but the Oilers have the highest points percentage in the entire NHL since Knobby took the reigns.

I know you're coping but the Oilers ARE one of the top contenders. They are elite. They have holes like every team in the cap era, but no team has been better since mid November.

Unfortunately for the Oil, it's not quite that simple as playoff series are short and momentum-dependent affairs where matchups are a huge factor.

Whether the Canucks' regular-season record against the Oilers is a sign of things to come or not, we'll see, but acting like the Oilers are anything but a contender just screams insecurity.

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
That’s fair Agree on the experience. The question is whether that really matters.
Canucks also have the likely Norris and Jack Adams winners. And one of the best 3rd lines in the league.
There’s advantages both ways imo.
I don’t really think it does this day and age personally. But for those that do believe in it extensively they have that reason for optimism. As well for the physicality aspect, I think oil have it definitively but they don’t always seem to utilize it and when they do they can be careless and take penalties. The powerplay output decides this series imo and while Edmonton is lethal, they are also brain dead and take many unforced penalties. It’s a great series for neutral fans to sit back and enjoy!

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
DK, laugh all you want as you're wont to do, but the Oilers have the highest points percentage in the entire NHL since Knobby took the reigns.

I know you're coping but the Oilers ARE one of the top contenders. They are elite. They have holes like every team in the cap era, but no team has been better since mid November.

Unfortunately for the Oil, it's not quite that simple as playoff series are short and momentum-dependent affairs where matchups are a huge factor.

Whether the Canucks' regular-season record against the Oilers is a sign of things to come or not, we'll see, but acting like the Oilers are anything but a contender just screams insecurity.
Regular season numbers mean little, Vancouver beat Edmonton early in the season. When the playoffs come around things ramp up.i think Edmonton wins, but I’m pulling for the nucks

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Sure. But you’re an Oilers fan. You don’t see your own teams weaknesses. I mean you finished in 9th spot.I think we can all agree that the Oilers are better than their record but it’s not like the team is unbeatable.
Too many of you have been reading all the press clippings.
9th spot but the best team in the NHL after Knoblauch took over.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
this fanbase is going to get humbled so badly, can't believe some of the things im seeing
Most of us believe it'll go 6 or 7 games, and we don't think for one second the oilers won't be tough.

You guys are acting like you've already won the series, I know there are idiots on our side, I'm surely not innocent, but acting like this is all one sided is ludicrous

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
By that logic there are no contenders at all.

Would you agree with that statement?
I’d say the regular season in short sample sizes have less weight. Every team has bad nights. Consistency is what you’d like to see in the regular season. I’d say “contenders “ are the most consistent teams in the regular season. It’s a new season come playoffs. The teams that can play the best consistent playoff hockey are gonna win. I know that’s super vague but that’s how I see it. I’d throw a little momentum sprinkled in there

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Yep. They were definitely better under the new coach. I’m just not prepared to give them a complete pass for getting smoked early in the season.
No, neither do I. But I think it's safe to say the Canucks have not seen close to Edmonton's best.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
By that logic there are no contenders at all.

Would you agree with that statement?
The regular season matters to me. I’m just not prepared to put the 9th place regular season team in the same class as Colorado, Dallas, NYR and Florida regardless of how they played post Knob. I’m also not willing to just ignore their poor start to the season any more than ignoring their ridiculous winning streak.

No, neither do I. But I think it's safe to say the Canucks have not seen close to Edmonton's best.
Considering the Canucks swept them I’d hope that is true. 😆

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
I’d say the regular season in short sample sizes have less weight. Every team has bad nights. Consistency is what you’d like to see in the regular season. I’d say “contenders “ are the most consistent teams in the regular season. It’s a new season come playoffs. The teams that can play the best consistent playoff hockey are gonna win. I know that’s super vague but that’s how I see it. I’d throw a little momentum sprinkled in there
So the Oilers' 69 games under the current head coach has less weight as a regular-season sample size? They'd need a bit more consistency than that, did I get that right?

Who would you consider contenders and why based on your metrics?

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
So the Oilers' 69 games under the current head coach has less weight as a regular-season sample size? They'd need a bit more consistency than that, did I get that right?

The teams that finished tops in the standings would be a good start for determining contenders imo.
I think most of us would accept that the Oilers are better than a 9th place team but many of us won’t give them a complete pass for their poor start. They should have played better.

Last edited:

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
The regular season matters to me. I’m just not prepared to put the 9th place regular season team in the same class as Colorado, Dallas, NYR and Florida regardless of how they played post Knob. I’m also not willing to just ignore their poor start to the season any more than ignoring their ridiculous winning streak.

"Post Knob" makes it sound like he took over in February and they got a brief bump out of it.

In reality, "post Knob" is roughly 84% of the regular season which is statistically significant enough to make your argument sound like a pretty desperate reach.

The fact that anyone would give a damn what the Oilers did for a shorter stretch seven or eight months ago under a different coach with key players playing injured should baffle me.

But it's you, so it doesn't.

The teams that finished tops in the standings would be a good start for determining contenders imo.
I think most of us would accept that the Oilers are better than a 9th place team but many of us won’t give them a complete pass for their poor start. They should have played better.
Let him answer.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009

Which goes to the point that the fact the Canucks swept the Oilers in the regular season doesn't mean much, which is definitely lost on some posters.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
"Post Knob" makes it sound like he took over in February and they got a brief bump out of it.

In reality, "post Knob" is roughly 84% of the regular season which is statistically significant enough to make your argument sound like a pretty desperate reach.

The fact that anyone would give a damn what the Oilers did for a shorter stretch seven or eight months ago under a different coach with key players playing injured should baffle me.

But it's you, so it doesn't.
That’s a whole lot of excuses.
The bottom line is they didn’t play well to start the season and that’s on the players.
The NHL isn’t going to ignore those games and re rank the teams post Knob and neither are most reasonable people, unlike yourself.
Are they better than their 9th place standing? Absolutely.
Do they deserve to be ranked up with top teams like Colorado and Dallas?
I think the answer is clearly no.

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Most of us believe it'll go 6 or 7 games, and we don't think for one second the oilers won't be tough.

You guys are acting like you've already won the series, I know there are idiots on our side, I'm surely not innocent, but acting like this is all one sided is ludicrous.

Yah the ones saying Bouchard is a better dman than Hughes are surely hinged, and we have been hearing this crap all year, again, your side is just as bad bud.
Our fan base definitely has its share of homers but overall I’d say the bulk of Oilers fans understand that this is going to be a tough, competitive series with it likely tilting in Edmonton’s favour without Demko.

At this point as an Oilers fan, I think the team should feel confident because their game is in a really good spot right now, but at the same time you can’t underestimate any opponent, Canucks are certainly going to give the Oilers a competitive series.

It’s going to come down to the smallest of differences in my opinion and limiting mistakes is going to be key. When things are this close I generally differ to the team with the better top end talent as the cream usually rises to get the job done but I think Vancouver could have a considerable advantage with that very good 3rd line of theirs. It’ll be interesting to see how both coaches deploy their lines.

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022

I'll say this everyone knew you’d beat the kings. It is a bad match up for the kings. We only get to play those who they put in front of us. So good job oilers.

I’m trying to find a point where I said anything about the oilers or any team as far as consistency. I didn’t. I made a generic statement

The contenders in no order are Canucks, oilers, Avs, stars, rangers, canes, panthers, bruins,

I will say I am rooting for the canucks to smoke the oilers.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
I like how this post was originally a diatribe about taking the high road for not taking a shot at McDavid, and then you changed it and liked another post that used the information to take a shot at McDavid. The original was so indignant, too.
Where would we be without the H-FBI monitoring our every statement? You're not only watching my edits but also watching my likes? :laugh:

I did take the high road, but on second thought I felt I was being a little too hard on the guy I was replying to so I softened it up. His reply to me proved I was not wrong. I liked his response. If you have a problem with someone reconsidering their comment in order to treat someone better, you have issues which go far beyond posting on this message board.

Last edited:

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
I'll say this everyone knew you’d beat the kings. It is a bad match up for the kings. We only get to play those who they put in front of us. So good job oilers.

I’m trying to find a point where I said anything about the oilers or any team as far as consistency. I didn’t. I made a generic statement

The contenders in no order are Canucks, oilers, Avs, stars, rangers, canes, panthers, bruins,

I will say I am rooting for the canucks to smoke the oilers.
Er... You said this:
"I’d say the regular season in short sample sizes have less weight. Every team has bad nights. Consistency is what you’d like to see in the regular season. I’d say “contenders “ are the most consistent teams in the regular season. It’s a new season come playoffs."

Thats a lot of talk about consistency in the context of explaining why the regular season matters to contender status moments after saying the regular season didn't really matter.

I'm still waiting for you to demonstrate who is a contender and who isn't based on these loose metrics of yours, but if you don't want to you don't have to of course.

NYRfan85

D'oh!
Jun 2, 2020
South Carolina
Canada's going to implode with this series! This one is going to be fun. Almost nobody is picking the Canucks to win this one, but I think (hope) they'll pull it off in 6 or 7 games.

I want a rematch of the '94 Final with the Rangers winning again:nod:

Reactions: Nuck Bonino

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad