Series Talk: WCSF Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers. (Series tied 3-3)

You prediction for this series?

• Vancouver in 7

Votes: 190 16.9%
  • Vancouver in 6

Votes: 191 17.0%
  • Vancouver in 5

Votes: 46 4.1%
  • Vancouver in 4

Votes: 40 3.6%
  • Edmonton in 7

Votes: 82 7.3%
  • Edmonton in 6

Votes: 362 32.2%
  • Edmonton in 5

Votes: 174 15.5%
  • Edmonton in 4

Votes: 40 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
IMG_6101.jpeg

Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers
WCSF

***Mod notes***

We understand this will be an intense series filled with emotions. We ask that you refrain from personal attacks towards others members, fans, and cities.

If you feel someone is baiting or trolling you, please report it rather than reply. Thank you.

Last edited:

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The Canucks only had 24 shots and 3 or 4 awful goals themselves so it's not like the Canucks were creating lots of good scoring chances either. It was a low event game with lousy goaltending on both ends. The Oilers played a similar game against LA and only had 13 shots holding onto a 1-0 lead and they seemed proud to it but it's a dumb strategy. You can't just stop playing halfway through a game and expect to hold on to leads like that.
Again, that’s a one sided view. Did the Oilers stop playing or did the Canucks just put on a defensive clinic when they saw their young goalie struggling. Probably a bit of both imo.
What happened in LA is irrelevant. The Canucks have a much more potent offense.
I’m sure both teams have areas of their games that they’d like to improve.

Daishi

Apr 12, 2010
What about the fact that 3 of the Oilers goals were easily stoppable in creating the 4-1 lead in the first place? The comments from a number of Oilers fans are pretty delusional. Canucks were outplaying the Oilers heavily from the start of the second when it was 2-0, then cut it to 2-1 before the Oilers scored two weak goals against the run of play. Yea the Oilers seemed to stop playing at 4-1, but they were already being outplayed before that.
Two goalies can be terrible at the same time.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
The Canucks only had 24 shots and 3 or 4 awful goals themselves so it's not like the Canucks were creating lots of good scoring chances either. It was a low event game with lousy goaltending on both ends. The Oilers played a similar game against LA and only had 13 shots holding onto a 1-0 lead and they seemed proud of themselves to do it but it's a dumb strategy. You can't just stop playing halfway through a game and expect to hold on to leads like that.
Canucks created double the scoring chances Edmonton did with only 7 more shots, that’s a pretty big difference.

Edmonton was outclassed in all aspects outside of special teams

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Two goalies can be terrible at the same time.
Oilers D didn’t help Skinner much imo. Nurse put one in himself on Lindholm’s goal and three Oilers screened their goalie on Zadarov’s blast from the point. Miller’s deflection from the side isn’t being stopped by many goalies and the D left Joshua all alone at the side of the net on his goal.
Imo the only egregious goal by Skinner was the fifth one by Garland. An NHL goalie can’t let that one in.
Skinner needs to be a lot better for sure but Ceci-Nurse were probably the biggest culprits.

Reactions: stampedingviking

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Again, that’s a one sided view. Did the Oilers stop playing or did the Canucks just put on a defensive clinic when they saw their young goalie struggling. Probably a bit of both imo.
What happened in LA is irrelevant. The Canucks have a much more potent offense.
I’m sure both teams have areas of their games that they’d like to improve.
Edmonton didn’t stop playing, they just got completely overwhelmed

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Yes that’s my point. The focus from some Edmonton fans seems to only be on blaming Skinner for the loss due to bad goals when they had had the lead for the same reason
For the Oilers I don’t even think it was all on Skinner. Nurse-Ceci were responsible for three of the goals. Ian Cole was terrible for Vancouver as well.
Sometimes it’s just easier to pin it all on the goalies. They both were bad but so were other players.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
Its def a bit of both. Oilers looked like they were skating in cement in 2nd half of that game. I def think the Oilers met cancuks in the middle in terms of them taking it to us and them for some reason completely wilting.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
This many pages already? Is this going to be a civil war?

I like Skinner. I would never be bothered by losing a game in a team sport. Maybe don't bet your kids lunch money.

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
Yes that’s my point. The focus from some Edmonton fans seems to only be on blaming Skinner for the loss due to bad goals when they had had the lead for the same reason

No one is saying that. Nurse/Ceci/Knob/McDavid have all gotten crushed today. Unless your talking casuals that is incorrect

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
For the Oilers I don’t even think it was all on Skinner. Nurse-Ceci were responsible for three of the goals. Ian Cole was terrible for Vancouver as well.
Sometimes it’s just easier to pin it all on the goalies. They both were bad but so were other players.

Yea fair enough. And even on Silovs, the second and third had some bad deflections and screens. The fourth was the real bad one. But both teams got a bit lucky with a number of the goals that were scored even if it wasn’t all on the goalies.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
No one is saying that. Nurse/Ceci/Knob/McDavid have all gotten crushed today. Unless your talking casuals that is incorrect

Ive seen a number of posts suggesting that at the end of the game yesterday and today, including from the original poster I quoted. Obviously it’s only a sample, so I said some fans.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
Ive seen a number of posts suggesting that at the end of the game yesterday and today, including from the original poster I quoted. Obviously it’s only a sample, so I said some fans.

Fair enough, my bad. I would say the large majority do not blame just Skinner. The whole team played like ass top to bottom and got stifled by Van

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I never called you a name. You stating one sided opinions and then accusing me of being one sided is hypocritical. I agree the Canucks played better, the Oilers were definitely not good enough at all.
Fair enough. I think both teams have lots of room for improvement. A pretty sloppy game for both of them. In the end it’s one game. Both coaches will make adjustments.
Looking forward to the rest of the series.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
That edmonton PP is still beyond deadly
its gonna win them a few games I think so.

but people are realizing Vancouver's defensive structure is pretty legit 5v5
edmonton had like 12 shots with less than 6 minutes left in the 3rd
they turn the neutral zone into quick sand or attempt to.

the shot totals in nashville were very low.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Fair enough. I think both teams have lots of room for improvement. A pretty sloppy game for both of them.
And credit to the Canucks as well, Edmonton's ineffectiveness was due to their play. I am not taking credit away from the Canucks, I was just stating a trend I seen in that game that they showed in previous games as well. I have noticed them starting to sit back too much with leads lately even going back to the regular season. They just haven't been punished doing it. Canucks deserved to win, no doubt about it.

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
I think if we get goaltending like we saw last night we're gonna lose this series, and I'd definitely feel more confident if we had Demko. They scored 4 goals on basically 1 good chance but if there is an encouraging sign is that the Oilers weaknesses were already exposed. McDavid in his postgame interview didn't go off, but you could tell he had a simmering anger below and is already frustrated.

Its actually a pretty good position we're in. The Canucks are an elite team that have proven it all season. They believe in themselves, but have no pressure or baggage and aren't getting a lot of respect from their opponents. It's one thing to be a scrappy underdog getting lucky and playing unsustainably well, but to be an actual elite team playing with house money is a dangerous mix.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
I got a bit of flak pre-series for suggesting NSH was a better defensive team (the way they were playing Rd1) than EDM, but I think the first game validated that.

Now to be fair I think the Oilers can play better, but they just don't sell out 110% the way Nashville did - nor should they given their high flying talent - and that's why I felt coming in the Canucks were going to get more looks, more shots & more goals than they did in round 1.

Comparing Nashville to EDM was really apples to oranges as far as style of play.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
The thing that people dont realize is that the Vancouver forward group is REALLY good in their own zone.
Even though Petey isnt putting up offense with Hoglander in the playoffs, he's still Elite defeinsiely.
Then you look who else they have down the middle and its Jt. MIller, Lindholm and Bluegar.
All three of these guys are legit two-way Centers
I think the center depth and 2-way play will hurt the oilers here 5on5. The only C that the oil have on par with Vancouver's four centers in terms of D-play is maybe RNH.

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
I said before the series started there was no way the Oilers could match our bottom six. I was "informed" that Edmonton's bottom six had speed, skill and savvy and would bury our 3rd and 4th lines.

Like the speedy Corey Perry. Looked like he should have gotten a delay of game penalty trying to skate with the puck.

Add in, Nurse making brain dead plays.

Skinner looking dazed and confused.

Oilers as a team back on their heels and not handling the Canucks relentless forecheck.
So can Knobby figure this out?

I didn't see anyone but a Canucks fan respond to your comment about the bottom six.

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
Laughing at the people earlier saying the Oilers will be more physical.... The Canucks may have Quinn Hughes but we have a 6'8 Giraffe, 6'6 Zadorov and 6'5 Soucy on the back end. Kane and Perry are tiny compare to them. Even Darnell Nurse the Oilers largest guy is only 6'4. You can hit Hughes but be prepared to get hit by the big boys.

View attachment 867819
Yep. And while not tall for a dman, Cole* is listed as 225lbs on sportsnet. After Hughes and Hronek, that's a solid group of 4 in terms of absorbing and dishing punishment.

*I realize his mass may be the only positive he brings.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I got a bit of flak pre-series for suggesting NSH was a better defensive team (the way they were playing Rd1) than EDM, but I think the first game validated that.

Now to be fair I think the Oilers can play better, but they just don't sell out 110% the way Nashville did - nor should they given their high flying talent - and that's why I felt coming in the Canucks were going to get more looks, more shots & more goals than they did in round 1.

Comparing Nashville to EDM was really apples to oranges as far as style of play.
It’s weird because the Oilers had good defensive stats after the coaching change.
But having Ceci-Nurse as your second pair just doesn’t inspire confidence that the group is on par with Nashville’s.
In fact, I always thought the Oilers D would be their undoing.
I just can’t see that group holding up against Colorado or Dallas even if they get by the Canucks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad