WCSF | Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers | Round 2 - FIGHT!

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

It’s official, bring on the Oilers!

1714790122557.png

IMG_0045.jpegIMG_0047.jpeg

Oiler Killers:
Quinn Hughes - 25GP, 3G, 19A, 22Pts
JT Miller - 32GP, 11G, 23A, 34Pts
Brock Boeser - 31GP, 16G, 11A, 27Pts

Season Series:
October 11, 2023
Vancouver def. Edmonton - 8-1

October 14, 2023
Vancouver def. Edmonton - 4-3

November 6, 2023
Vancouver def. Edmonton - 6-2

April 13, 2024
Vancouver def. Edmonton 3-1

Last edited:

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Ya, I agree. Cole was no where near as bad as people think, but people are more focused on results than process.

On the first penalty, they didn't really show an extended replay, so its hard to say whether it was Cole's fault or the departing player's fault. It isn't always the fault of the player who jumps on the ice.

The deflection off him that went in was just bad luck.

And I don't think he played the Hyman goal too badly. He was unlucky that his stick hit Hyman's stick causing the shot/release to be unpredictable. 9/10 times he deflects the puck out of harms way.

He did look really bad on that reverse behind the net to no one, but that may have been a systems thing where someone was supposed to be there as the safety valve. Typically, the Canucks like the reverse downlow so it wouldn't surprise me if that was the case.

The 2nd Hyman goal was Myers, not Cole, who got his stick on stick.

But Cole did play terrible. Penalty was on him. One of the commentators (not sure if Simpson or the panel) highlighted that it is the guy jumping on who has to be sure. Different if someone was approaching the bench then turned away, but that didn't happen. Wasn't sure why Soucy touched the puck though.

He then lost Hyman at the side of the net for the PPG.

Terrible turnover to Draisaitl that led to a goal. Another turnover at the offensive blueline plus deflecting a puck. He had a significant portion of the blame for 3 of the goals against, no sugar coating it.

But no, he shouldn't come out of the lineup. We will need Cole to win this series, and he sis settle down as the game went on. Such a big bonus to win the game despite such a Nurse-level stretch of play from our most experienced blueliner.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
To be honest I was shocked that Tocchet didn’t pull Silovs after the 4th goal. If even just to try to spark the team a bit.
Kudos to him for sticking with the kid.
I’m reading into that, that he doesn’t have much confidence in De Smith.

Reactions: stampedingviking

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
McDrai are hurting, who knows what comes out of the other series. This could be a golden chance at the finals.

Reactions: Indiana

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Seems like Draisaitl was having cramps, and not super serious.

Cramps are no joke. I would often get them on the calf, but I recall a soccer game where I legitimately thought I cracked my spine. I had wobbly legs and could barely walk around for a few hours...

If Draisaitl misses practice, then this might be something more sinister.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Ya, I agree. Cole was no where near as bad as people think, but people are more focused on results than process.

On the first penalty, they didn't really show an extended replay, so its hard to say whether it was Cole's fault or the departing player's fault. It isn't always the fault of the player who jumps on the ice.

The deflection off him that went in was just bad luck.

And I don't think he played the Hyman goal too badly. He was unlucky that his stick hit Hyman's stick causing the shot/release to be unpredictable. 9/10 times he deflects the puck out of harms way.

He did look really bad on that reverse behind the net to no one, but that may have been a systems thing where someone was supposed to be there as the safety valve. Typically, the Canucks like the reverse downlow so it wouldn't surprise me if that was the case.

My problem with Cole on the two goals wasn't the specific 'end' of those goals as much as it was that he seemed to get too excited about jumping into the play and then got burned.

The first goal he's on the PK and he jumps up the ice for a potential 2-on-1, mucks up the play, doesn't get back quickly enough and can't change, and then is absolutely bagged at the end of a long shift when the puck goes through him to score. Against the Edmonton PP, you've gotta keep it safe and make sure you get your changes in.

Same deal later when he got caught up the ice and the reason he makes the turnover is that he had never really settled back into position and was frantic and rushed a play as a result.

He's a veteran whose main job is to keep things safe and it looked like he got caught up in the energy of the building at the start of the game.

Seems like Draisaitl was having cramps, and not super serious.

I call BS. They had to say something to try and minimize it and this is the way they went.

Equipment issues take a while to sort out.

Yeah, lol 'cramps' and 'equipment issues'.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
After coming back he had a very labored and painful looking, contact free, bail near our blue line.

Something is up beyond being that time of the month.

Probably a maintenance day? Unless they hopefully put Connor Brown in Draisaitl's spot,

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
After coming back he had a very labored and painful looking, contact free, bail near our blue line.

Something is up beyond being that time of the month.

He did go to the bench and had his skate sharpened, so that fall was probably equipment related.

Cramps...more like spasms. Today he'll be getting massaged, acupuncture, cupping, whatever else they can do to loosen things up for him. Need to be physical with him early and often. Big Zaddy gonna put him in a leather choker and call him his gimp.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
To be honest I was shocked that Tocchet didn’t pull Silovs after the 4th goal. If even just to try to spark the team a bit.
Kudos to him for sticking with the kid.
I’m reading into that, that he doesn’t have much confidence in De Smith.
He didn't pull a goalie all season (except for injury/sickness) so I think it's just something he doesn't do.

That said, I may be in the minority, but I think I'd actually be more comfortable with DeSmith than Silovs and would have welcomed the change. I really don't like the approach of "we won so you can't change anything". They didn't start scoring because of how their goaltender played.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I get that they're winning, but I would have made a couple of lineup changes awhile ago. Firstly, I just don't get Di Giuseppe.....Surely Aman or even Podkolzin would bring a lot more to the table.

I hope Cole can bounce back......but if this were the regular season, he'd probably be parked in favor of Juulsen after last night's disaster.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I get that they're winning, but I would have made a couple of lineup changes awhile ago. Firstly, I just don't get Di Giuseppe.....Surely Aman or even Podkolzin would bring a lot more to the table.

I hope Cole can bounce back......but if this were the regular season, he'd probably be parked in favor of Juulsen after last night's disaster.

Tocchet is clearly happy with this line-up and he's going to ride it as far as he can take it, and revisit in the offseason. I mean, can you argue with the man, they're sitting at 5-2 in the playoffs.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I usually like Seravalli, he's got a good read on most of the league and is fairly balanced. But his takes on Game 1 of this series are absolutely terrible and I question whether he actually watched the game despite being in the building. He is still ragging on Pettersson even though he had his best game and was a beast defensively, as if it's still the Nashville series. Among a number of other terrible reads.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad