OhP88N1.jpeg

• Arrive violently.

• Do not go quietly into the night.

• Just win.

Last edited:

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
So here is something I wanted to discuss with you lovely people.

Coaching philosophies. I was listening to the Oilers coach, and he was asked multiple times about physicality, hits, intensity, and tenacity.

He was asked if it’s overrated, if it’s not a big indicator, etc.

His answer surprised me. In multiple interviews, he basically said that it’s not a good gauge. Physicality is overblown, and hits especially mean nothing. Go back and listen to three of his last four interviews; he goes in-depth on this.

In contrast, the Canucks coach keeps talking about physicality, intensity, how players have to be strong on the puck, need to hit hard, forecheck hard, and how it’s an incredibly important gauge to see and match teams' intensities or dictate your own.

He said that if you’re playing hard, you’re naturally going to hit more, which usually is a good indicator of how hard you’re working for that specific game.

So my question to you guys is: which style/opinion do you believe in more?

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
So here is something I wanted to discuss with you lovely people.

Coaching philosophies, so I was listening to the Oilers coach, and he was asked multiple multiple times about physicality, about hits, about intensity, tenacity.

He was asked if it’s overrated, if it’s not a bit indicator, etc.

His answer, kind of surprised me, multiple interviews he basically said that it’s not a good gauge, physicality is basically overblown, and hits especially basically means nothing, go back and listen to three of his last four interviews, he goes in depth on this.

In contrast, the Canucks coach keeps talking about physicality, intensity, how people have to be strong on the puck, need to hit hard, forecheck hard, and it’s an incredibly important gauge to see and match teams, intensities, or dictate your own.

He said that if you’re playing hard, naturally you’re going to hit more, which usually is a good indicator on how hard you’re working for that specific game.

So my question to you guys is which style/opinion do you believe in more?
I think Knob doesn't want guys going overboard physically because specifically when Oiler players do that, they get caught up in the emotional game and start taking dumb penalties or suspensions.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I think Knob doesn't want guys going overboard physically because specifically when Oiler players do that, they get caught up in the emotional game and start taking dumb penalties or suspensions.
Both coaches mention going out of their way to make a hit is never a good idea, but I feel like the concept of physicality is so different between the two coaches, maybe the Knob thinks that Edmonton can’t play that physical style, so they have to do something different?

NailsHoglander

Feb 20, 2024
Coaching philosophies. I was listening to the Oilers coach, and he was asked multiple times about physicality, hits, intensity, and tenacity.

He was asked if it’s overrated, if it’s not a big indicator, etc.

His answer surprised me. In multiple interviews, he basically said that it’s not a good gauge. Physicality is overblown, and hits especially mean nothing. Go back and listen to three of his last four interviews; he goes in-depth on this.

Horvat would love playing for him

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Onto our backup goalie who is not proven playoffs at all.
Ceci still in Top 4.
I say it's a must win.. I also think we're in trouble here.

Basically, we need McDrai to outscore our problems ... again.

f*** Ken Holland.
Whats the report on Pickard?

HIs he athletic or does he have good positioning to the shooter? Scramble or calm?

Reactions: Summer Rose

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
Both coaches mention going out of their way to make a hit is never a good idea, but I feel like the concept of physicality is so different between the two coaches, maybe the Knob thinks that Edmonton can’t play that physical style, so they have to do something different?
I would argue they can play that style but honestly the Canucks guys are just bigger. You won't win that battle against a 6 foot whatever Zadorov or Myers.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Both coaches mention going out of their way to make a hit is never a good idea, but I feel like the concept of physicality is so different between the two coaches, maybe the Oilers coach thinks that Edmonton can’t play that physical style, so they have to do something different?

Oilers coach has not even played in the minor leagues, his coaching record mostly consists of junior leagues, Canucks coach has an NHL career that has 952pts and 2972 PIMs in 1144 GP, with one Cup as a player and two as Assistant Coach.

I think those sort of reflect their coaching philosophies. One has been in the trenches, and one hasn't.

Bizzare

May 5, 2013
Oilers coach has not even played in the minor leagues, his coaching record mostly consists of junior leagues, Canucks coach has an NHL career that has 952pts and 2972 PIMs in 1144 GP, with one Cup as a player and two as Assistant Coach.

I think those sort of reflect their coaching philosophies. One has been in the trenches, and one hasn't.
But he coached teenage McDavid!

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth

Absolutely. Cue the Oiler fans who'll claim that doesn't mean a thing and experience is overrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad