GDT: WCSF GM06 | Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton Oilers | Sat. May 18th | 5pm PST | SNP/CBC | Finish Them

Status
Not open for further replies.

HighAndTight

Ready To Be Hurt Again
Jan 12, 2008
Victoria, BC
On the one hand, visitors have clinched in game 6 in every series so far. The universe likes symmetry, so that's in our favour.

On the other hand, the hockey gods like game 7s, so that works against us.

Then there's the commercial interest in keeping McDavid in the hunt.

The hockey gods and commercial interests make for a formidable foe.

But we've got JT f***in Miller, so let's go!
Well you know we don't like closing a series out a home these days :laugh:

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

Henrique for Perry is an upgrade - have to view Skinner starting as an opportunity. Get in his head early, boys.

this is a chess match counter to us loading up lindholm on petey’s line

but can blueger withstand them rolling mcd, drai, henrique down the middle? he’s been maybe my favourite forward of the playoffs, i feel good about it

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
I haven't been this nervous for a game in a long, long time.

Every other team got the job done in 6 and didn't let the trailing team back into the series. They absolutely must find a way to get it done tonight.

Oilers big guns will ultimately seal their fate one way or another. A repeat of Game 5 and they will be very hard pressed to win. I can't believe they're going with Skinner over Pickard - he was the only reason Game 5 wasn't a blowout.

Canucks need to stay focused, score early to take the crowd out of the game, and not let up for one f***ing second until the clock reads 0.0 in the third. Staying out of the box will be huge as I don't expect their PK to be at 100% again.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
To me this game is for the Stanley Cup. Beating a cup favorite team in 6 and advancing to the WCF is making a clear statement to the rest of the league.

Unfortunately this team is just too battered and has played an exhausting style of hockey the past 11 games. Going any further will be a huge ask. 1 more win is all I ask though.

Still proud of them. You can see the fatigue and exhaustion on their faces and they are overcoming shit officiating too.

I truly don't see them beating Dallas if they do advance tonight. That team has us outmatched in every category and they seem like they're not battling injuries. Absolutely ridiculous depth scoring.

But let's get the job done first. Anything can happen, and a win here would be amazing to pull the room together. An outside chance of getting Demko back seemed impossible when he went down.

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
We don't really know how well he is progressing. He is still our best chance to actually compete for a cup this year.

Also what you are saying here is pretty far from the other thing you said about a cult of Demko that was actively hoping for Silovs to fail.
In every game, no matter how well Silovs is playing there are posters whining about how we don't have Demko to save us.

Vancouver has always had its goalie cults. I remember getting banned from canucks.com (remember them?) for even suggesting that Cloutier wasn't a perennial Vezina winner, the Luongo cult was insane (every goal he let in not matter how stinky was somebody else's fault) and even Marky was inviolate for awhile. Hell I'm so old that I remember there being a cult around Potvin for chrissake. This cult always makes excuses for the deity's bad games while scrutinizing every goal by their backups to the point of obsession. To even suggest that we might be witnessing a changing of the guard in our net is the height of blasphemy to this crowd. I'm hoping Tocchet keeps his head straight when it comes to goalie selection in the future but this IS the Canucks so I expect them to jettison Silovs at the earliest opportunity to put Demko in and even if he loses 4 in a row they will live or die with him. Hope I'm wrong... unless of course Silovs really DOES turn into a pumpkin. I think that is highly unlikely at this juncture...

Last edited:
Reactions: crazychimp

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Can't blame them for going with Skinner, he's their starter and Pickard was all over the net last game despite making some good saves, the Canucks can solve him. Skinner has a least some stretches of good play this year, and if he can't do it their looking for another new goalie this offseason.

Best news is they still haven't benched Ceci, I dunno why they haven't gone to Stecher or Broburg, but it's good news for us. Perry has also been terrible, so not surprised by that one.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
I feel the circumstances are way different. Every other team led the series 3-1 and failed to close the series out on their first attempt.

The thing that scares me is that McDrai can win games by themselves. The longer they hang around, the more likely they each put up 4 point games. What happened in Game 5 was amazing but I don't expect it to happen again tonight.

If it does, the Canucks cannot waste the opportunity to take them out.

Reactions: M2Beezy

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
Come out hitting like in game 3 have a good first shift and take it from there.

Listening to Miller’s post game comments last game suggests they will play with more confidence against McDavid he mentioned giving them a little too much respect and not playing there game instead elected to play it more safe even when they could have moved the puck up the ice.

Let’s go and take this away from them!

• Love
Reactions: M2Beezy

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
I truly don't see them beating Dallas if they do advance tonight. That team has us outmatched in every category and they seem like they're not battling injuries. Absolutely ridiculous depth scoring.

But let's get the job done first. Anything can happen, and a win here would be amazing to pull the room together. An outside chance of getting Demko back seemed impossible when he went down.

Nucks went 1-1-1 against the Stars this year.

A very tough team but the Canucks can hang

infinitemile

Oct 8, 2017

I'm so sick of hearing about how the Canucks are so incredibly overmatched. Noone has believed in them at any point this season and they've done nothing but win hockey games.

If they beat Edmonton and play Dallas they'd have the best 3 individual players in that series (Miller, Hughes, and a healthy Demko) plus a rejuvenated Pettersson. I don't want to hear about how great Dallas is, this team has a chance to win any given game. Enough. Show some respect to how far they've gotten and what they've proven.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Nah, it's definitely still just a game.
It's just a game but gotta admit some of us are emotionally invested. I've been cheering Canucks since 82 run and not gonna lie it has hurt a few times like a knife to the gut. In the big picture yes a game more to life but this would be an extra special moment in life if we win it all one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad