GDT: WCSF GM05 | Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers | Thur. May 16th | 7pm PST | SNP/CBC | So Tight, Almost Like a Playoff Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
What I got from Tocchets presser is he’s saying they are a second or two late in their brains which means don’t be going to where the puck is, go to where it will be, they played their best period in the 3rd coming back. He wants a full 60 minutes rather than holding back. These guys are very capable of doing that with how they had all the possession in that period only to throw it away late. He wants them to hold pucks like Drai and move your feet specifically mentioned Petey on that one. He wants who ever is on Peteys line to help win the forechecks.

It’s like they are afraid to win giving them too much respect.

Finish your checks, forecheck and just work.

Let’s go!

Last edited:

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Hoglander - Pettersson - Podkolzin
Di Giuseppe - Blueger - Mikheyev top two lines stay intact/ if pdg is still out for "personal reasons." slot in one of the black aces. sassons maybe? risky but could add some fire to this lineup. sit out cole. juulseen stays. pivotal game 5 whoever wins this game wins the series that is all. or go petey lindholm/hogs. then reunite bluger/garland can be doubleshifted for momentum swings in the game. joshua.

Reactions: alternate

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
I remember how fans were all cheering Tocchet's resolve to hold ANY player to task. "He benched Miller". See any player!!!.

Well maybe not an eleven million dollar player who is getting out played by most of the team in the playoffs.

If Tocchet doesn't want to disrupt the two lines that are working by putting EP on one of them then sit him this game.

This is the one to do it, not last and there is a chance that it could have a few results, more rest for Petey, time to watch from up high, certainly embarrassment that might stir up a reaction or life and in the next game (6) maybe Demko comes back as well.

EP looks like a robot on the bench, dazed and confused. Like he is a rookie that has less than a season under his belt. (I still think it is post concussion syndrome). No speed, delayed decision making, late passes, hand eye coordination off. Now wearing a baseball hat for light sensitivity maybe. I have no doubt he is sincere about what he said but that is the thing with PCS, you don't know, don't think of it unless he has headaches. More the stress the more the symptoms emerge.

There has been a saying around for eons, addition by subtraction.
The team has 3rd line centers they don't need EP trying to become a grunt, energy player, 4th liner.

I have no idea what Tocchet has tried, comforting him, trying to give him (unearned) trust, teaching, showing but has he tried yelling at him? Are coaches even allowed to do that anymore? Maybe that does leave only sitting him out and bringing in an untried rookie, Podkolin does have NHL experience and has a history of playoff performing. Right now he is faster, more solid on his skates, hits harder and has scored at NHL levels.

Petey has a problem, Tocchet cannot be worried about "losing" him because Petey has already lost himself. They want to win then ice the best line up. No politics, forget salaries or next year. The day has come to separate the men from the boys. Face it Petey is just not there, certainly not the Petey from the covid year 18 points in 17 games play in/offs.

Tocchet said "show me", "players earn their time", "I don't care who they are", "I will bench anyone"
All that going down the crapper because he isn't doing that now.

Miller must feel special that he got benched and was used as the "example", the only big name player, especially with how bad EP is right now. The other one got traded. Kuz.

Miller looked pissed, finally. There is going to be a big black and blue bruise on someone.

Zadorov or maybe even Myers have to take care of Kane. IMO Kane should have been ejected, Soucy got a suspension and didn't draw blood. Who cares about the scoring, he would not have been there for the other goals.

I think the Canucks really rebound and have the best game of the playoffs. See they have me hoping too.

Last edited:

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
If Tocchet doesn't re-unite Joshua-Blueger-Garland, and he doesn't put Pettersson on the wing with Lindholm, then he has to give Pettersson both Hoglander and Podkolzin. Hoglander just to give it another shot, and Podkolzin as a wild card that can just forecheck for the puck.

It might hurt them defensively to do this, but you need to risk something right now to get Pettersson going.

Mikheyev can play with Blueger and Aman/Lafferty. This is assuming PDG doesn't play, but if he does, drop Lafferty and go with PDG-Blueger-Mikheyev on the 4th line:

Suter-Miller-Boeser
Joshua-Lindholm-Garland
Hoglander-Pettersson-Podkolzin
PDG-Blueger-Mikheyev
Podkolzin is a 4th line tweener, epitome of a AAAA player.

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Pete never strike me as someone who's a media darling, or is fond of the media himself. I wouldn't worry too much about how he presented himself in front of the mic and camera.
Disagree completely. He's a full time hockey player and part time social media influencer. I think its more he doesnt like media who asks him difficult questions. Some people dont take criticism well.

Last edited:

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
I think this is going to Game7, but still - tonight's game will be huge. Considering setting 5am alarm clock for Arty Party.

And yes - what the hell is on w EP?
This season they have a few streaks of win lose win lose win lose.

Hope it doesn't jinx it but so far all higher seeds in the other 3 series are up 3-2.

Reactions: ellja3

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
IMG_0054.jpeg

It is game day, my dudes.

AaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Series is tied 2-2 without Demko and a MIA Pettersson, a pretty good result considering the circumstances. If Petey was anything near a elite forward these playoffs, then I am sure this series would look much different. The fact that Pettersson looks no different than a struggling Lafferty concerns me moving forward. The Canucks can still win this series but like Tochett said, a bunch of players really need to step it up.

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Series is tied 2-2 without Demko and a MIA Pettersson, a pretty good result considering the circumstances. If Petey was anything near a elite forward these playoffs, then I am sure this series would look much different. The fact that Pettersson looks no different than a struggling Lafferty concerns me moving forward. The Canucks can still win this series but like Tochett said, a bunch of players really need to step it up.
Agreed. A healthy Demko and a EP whos playing to his ceiling would have been a very different series for the Canucks. Thiers still 2 and potentially 3 games for EP to make an impact.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
It's worth noting that at ES Pettersson is generally above water for share of play. For scoring chances he is 4th among team forwards. Scoring chances against EP and Mik are both top 5 on the team. The on ice SV% for his line is the lowest on the team and SH% is also lowest. The actual goals vs expected goals is dramatically out of balance. He's also drawn the most penalties on the team. Small sample sizes of course for such things.

What is down I think is the high danger chances not really chances overall. I think that is very much to do with having two dead weights on his line. A lot to complain about in his game and the results aren't there for sure but you are unlikely to replace him in the lineup right now and have that player keep their head above water.

Last edited:

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Podkolzin is a 4th line tweener, epitome of a AAAA player.
Ya. I had some decent hopes for him being able to be a contributing bottom 6 player when he was called up (I had already given up on him being a top 6 impact player). His call up stint was not good. He still has quite a ways to go to be a regular bottom 6 player in the NHL and this was his D+5 year. He's the same draft year as Hoglander. Certainly Hoglander hasn't figured it all out as evidenced by not being in lineup right now yet he is MILES ahead of Podkolzin.

Reactions: BimJenning

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
CBC radio indicated Demko might start tonight, but theyre not usually a reliable sports source so not sure if the broadcaster heard something from last night and is making more of Demkos recovery bigger than it is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad