GDT: WCSF GM02 | Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers | Fri. May 10th | 7pm PST | SNP/CBC | Don’t Change That Channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
Agreed. The Miller line went 11-4 in shot attempts in 11 head to head minutes against McDavid’s line last night. If that leaves Pettersson struggling to elevate his own play and the play of his linemates, you take that every time.
I thought Mikheyev was good yesterday the skating looked good he was getting in on the forecheck winning puck battles, even hit the post in the first. Easily his best game of the playoffs.

ProviesGhost

Sponsor
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver
Pettersson-Miller-Boeser
Joshua-Lindholm-Garland
Hoglander-Suter-Mikheyev
PDG-Blueger-Lafferty

These lines would be perfect. Pettersson is truly wasted with Hoglander and Mikheyev.
I'd try that for a solid period (none of this 2 shift BS). I can see why they're reluctant though, Suter helps that top line defensively I guess and they're statistically a good line. So they must feel getting Pettersson going is not worth the downside, and I still feel if Petey can pop one on the power play he'll get going.

GranvilleIsland

Feb 26, 2013
Vancouver, B.C.
I thought Mikheyev was good yesterday the skating looked good he was getting in on the forecheck winning puck battles, even hit the post in the first. Easily his best game of the playoffs.
The guy has no finesse unfortunately. At least there appears to be effort though. Hoglander and Mikheyev have both had trouble getting the puck to Pettersson since they had that nice tic tac toe goal at the end of the regular season.

Reactions: Indiana

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I'd try that for a solid period (none of this 2 shift BS). I can see why they're reluctant though, Suter helps that top line defensively I guess and they're statistically a good line. So they must feel getting Pettersson going is not worth the downside, and I still feel if Petey can pop one on the power play he'll get going.

This is all I want. Just try it for a period or two, depending how it goes. If they're bleeding position chances or getting scored on, then we know the Lotto line is dead. But at this point, it's been eight playoff games where it's all but guaranteed Pettersson and Mikheyev don't work. It's not helped by how overwhelmed Hoglander seems to be either.

Reactions: ProviesGhost

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

He was. Probably one of his better games all season. The issue isn't that Mikheyev can't be a good play. He just can't score to save his life. He has absolutely zero creativity with the puck, at least on scoring attempts. That severely limits Pettersson's options.

It just isn't working and Tocchet needs to accept Pettersson won't break out on his own.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
They aren't maximizing what they can do offensively and it sucks for Pettersson at ES but the Miller-Pettersson-Lindholm-Blueger combination down the middle is absolutely killing it in terms of defensive play and limiting chances. They're sticking with this for a reason, and it's working.

It's a real shame they couldn't have found a way to add a Guentzel at the deadline and have him in the Mikheyev spot.

But basically we have a reliable, solid defensive pair on the ice 100% of the time and we have a strong two-way C on the ice 100% of the time. It's a good formula.

Yeah, and Tocchet seems to like the Sutter-Miller-Boeser and Joshua-Lindholm Garland lines so Pettersson gets the best of the remaining wingers. Tocchet has 3 options here:

1) Stick with the lines and hopefully we can get a better winger for Pettersson in the offseason.

2) Break up2 lines that are performing at a very high level with no guarantee that it gets Pettersson going.

3) promote 4th liners like Lafferty

#1 is definitely the right call considering how important the Miller and Lindholm lines have been to us winning games

Last edited:

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Pettersson-Miller-Boeser
Joshua-Lindholm-Garland
Hoglander-Suter-Mikheyev
PDG-Blueger-Lafferty

These lines would be perfect. Pettersson is truly wasted with Hoglander and Mikheyev.

Miller is covering McD and adding Petey to it probably won't get you that much because they are focused on shutting down McD regardless.
Lindholm is eating their matchups right now so don't change.
Petey's line is winning their matchups right now but the puck dies on Hog's stick almost every time they are in the offensive zone. I think the better solution is to bump Hog down to the 4th line and maybe use Pod/PDG with Petey.

He was. Probably one of his better games all season. The issue isn't that Mikheyev can't be a good play. He just can't score to save his life. He has absolutely zero creativity with the puck, at least on scoring attempts. That severely limits Pettersson's options.

It just isn't working and Tocchet needs to accept Pettersson won't break out on his own.
we play a dump and cycle game, doesn't work with the wingers can't sustain a cycle and do anything other than throw it to the point.
To expect Petey to break out on his own would require us to change the system which we know Tocchet won't do, especially now.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
Miller is covering McD and adding Petey to it probably won't get you that much because they are focused on shutting down McD regardless.
Lindholm is eating their matchups right now so don't change.
Petey's line is winning their matchups right now but the puck dies on Hog's stick almost every time they are in the offensive zone. I think the better solution is to bump Hog down to the 4th line and maybe use Pod/PDG with Petey.

we play a dump and cycle game, doesn't work with the wingers can't sustain a cycle and do anything other than throw it to the point.
To expect Petey to break out on his own would require us to change the system which we know Tocchet won't do, especially now.

At this point, I don't think you lose much by moving Hogz off of EP's line. Perhaps Lafferty can pop one in and get that line going. Hogz on the 4th line may also give us a nice little 4 line attack.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yeah, and Tocchet seems to like the Sutter-Miller-Boeser and Joshua-Lindholm Garland lines so Pettersson gets the best of the remaining wingers. Tocchet has 3 options here:

1) Stick with the lines and hopefully we can get a better winger for Pettersson in the offseason.

2) Break up2 lines that are performing at a very high level with no guarantee that it gets Pettersson going.

3) promote 4th liners like Lafferty

#1 is definitely the right call considering the power important the Miller and Lindholm lines have been to us winning games

Yeah, exactly. You have 2 lines that are working great, you have a 1-4 C thing that's working great defensively ... you're just stuck with crappy wingers on the one line.

But I think they're absolutely right to stick with it at this point. Only thing I'd say as that I wish they'd stick Lindholm up with Pettersson if the team is trailing ... but I guess it's worked out OK with what they're doing anyway with three 3rd period comebacks so far in the playoffs.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011

"but we haven't officially made our decision yet"

giphy.gif

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
I am now in the camp that we should probably keep the top 9 lines the same and roll with the 4 strong centers for this series. I agree that Pettersson is a bit wasted offensively with Hog/Mik, but having Lindholm decimate that 3rd line match up is crucial. Petey is starting to shoot and look dangerous at times in his role, and Tocchet has shown that he will randomly throw the Lotto line together for shifts at a time anyways.

But man, how good would a Toffoli/Duclair/even Zucker look beside Petey instead of Mikheyev..

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
I'd like to see Hoglander reunited with Lafferty. They had some really good chemistry before Hoglander moved up the lineup. They tried that briefly with Petey early in the playoffs, and it didn't work, so I'd put them with Blueger. 4th line has been okay, but getting some production from them would be huge.

That leaves PDG with Petey and Mikheyev. Not ideal, but PDG did have some productive top 6 time way back when.

Or try someone getting called up from Abby. Don't even care who - Raty and Sasson had good playoffs, Podz could get rolling, I dunno.

Lines 1 and 3 are playing well and should be left alone. But do think there's room to tweak lines 2 and 4. Nothing wrong with making some proactive changes because we looked better, but still not firing on all cylinders.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Oilers see it differently. HFOil thread is littered with multiple accusations of dives and embellishments, Boeser’s being one of them.

As they see it, any Canucks were diving and embellishing all over the place and that they were not and deserved way more powerplays and Canucks none (even the Skinner one which many argued shouldn’t have been a penalty).
You'd expect that, Oilers have been dogshit so far 5on5. I don't think many Canucks fans complain about reffing all that much lately compared to previous years. Probably because this team has been so good 5on5 so far in the playoffs.

Oilers, different story. They have been powerplay merchants.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Oilers see it differently. HFOil thread is littered with multiple accusations of dives and embellishments, Boeser’s being one of them.

As they see it, any Canucks were diving and embellishing all over the place and that they were not and deserved way more powerplays and Canucks none (even the Skinner one which many argued shouldn’t have been a penalty).

This will be a common theme since the Oilers are largely PP merchants, who aren't all that great 5-on-5. Even against the Kings, I believe that series was largely a saw-off at even strength. If we keep the powerplays even, or even keep the Oilers in deficit, we should have a pretty good shot.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
If it's what Bieksa showed on HNIC, was a nothing hit by Myers that was immediately followed up with another shove by Joshua. Draisaitl could barely move and went to the dressing room shortly afterwards. Came back in the third but Zadorov was targeting him and gave two hard cross checks to his lower back.
Going to sound awful but GOOD! That is what the Bruins did in '11. Targeted the many injured players the canucks had and made their life hell. That's how you win!

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Yeah, I saw this one posted and kinda laughed when I went frame by frame.

It's like they're claiming this is a dive, but when you look frame by frame, McDavid grabs a hold of Boeser's stick and pulls him down as he rips it out of his hands.

View attachment 867842View attachment 867848

McDavid was trying to draw a penalty and I love that the refs didn't buy it.

McDavid is simultaneously both one of the biggest divers in the NHL, but also a player that should deservedly draw a ton of penalties every wear.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
At this point, I don't think you lose much by moving Hogz off of EP's line. Perhaps Lafferty can pop one in and get that line going. Hogz on the 4th line may also give us a nice little 4 line attack.

Agreed. Hogs was ok with Petey in the regular season but it was more about getting him extra ice time, as he seemed better when he could just play his game on the 4th line. Lafferty or PDG is worth a shot on that line again. I would even consider moving Blueger up but I don’t think they want to mess with the centers.

Reactions: supercanuck

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
Yeah, exactly. You have 2 lines that are working great, you have a 1-4 C thing that's working great defensively ... you're just stuck with crappy wingers on the one line.

But I think they're absolutely right to stick with it at this point. Only thing I'd say as that I wish they'd stick Lindholm up with Pettersson if the team is trailing ... but I guess it's worked out OK with what they're doing anyway with three 3rd period comebacks so far in the playoffs.

It sucks for Petey but you're probably right. This team's biggest advantage is having 3 really solid lines that are skilled enough to get the puck out and hold the puck in the other end, even if Hogs + Mik are literally just holding it & missing open guys. Don't think Suter could center that line and have the same kind of results, and they'll get preyed on in the MU game once the series moves to Edmonton if that happens.

I think there's some spots like last series where putting the Lotto line together for a shift here & there can play dividends, now that Petey's head appears to be in a much better place. Could also move Lindholm up for a shift and get Blueger with Joshua + Garland in a pinch when trailing if they want to shorten the bench to 9-10 guys later in the series.

Tocchet is playing the long game though, based on the 4th line's minutes he's hesitant to put any additional strain on the top 9 until absolutely necessary (meanwhile McDavid is already playing 24+ minutes). Still think Garland + Joshua could use 1-2 more minutes each, having them at sub 15 when they're playing as well as they did in game 1 was unfortunate.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
This will be a common theme since the Oilers are largely PP merchants, who aren't all that great 5-on-5. Even against the Kings, I believe that series was largely a saw-off at even strength. If we keep the powerplays even, or even keep the Oilers in deficit, we should have a pretty good shot.

Oilers were quite strong 5v5 all year, but haven’t shown it yet in the playoffs. If they aren’t going to pick it up there the Canucks can definitely win if they stay out of the box

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I don't see it happening tbh. This management team is a whole lot more aggressive than the previous one and I don't think they will "run out of time"

From what we've heard everyone really wants to stay. I think there's a realistic chance we keep a good number of our UFAs just based on how well they all like each other. Pettersson taking less than market value also helps convince the others to do the same. Even if it's 500k or something. That adds up if they all do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad